iPhone 17's front camera may double the resolution to 24MP

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 7

The iPhone 17 family of smartphones could gain a 24-megapixel front-facing camera, giving it twice the resolution of the current sensor.

Top section of a smartphone screen showing weather at 65 degrees and battery statuses for multiple devices. Time is 9:23, and battery level indicator is near full.
The front-facing camera is hidden in the Dynamic Island

Many of Apple's upgrades and rumors revolve around the rear cameras, such as the alleged variable aperture system. However, in one analyst's forecast, a change could be made to the one at the front.

According to an investor note from Haitong Securities analyst Jeff Pu seen by BGR, the iPhone 17 models will all use a 24-megapixel camera with a six-element plastic lens. For reference, the TrueDepth camera array in the iPhone 15 use a 12-megapixel camera, with five lens elements made of plastic.

Furthermore, this upgrade apparently won't be limited to just the Pro models. All models of iPhone 17 will apparently have the better sensor.

Pu is not alone in believing there will be a sensor upgrade for the iPhone 17. Back in January, Ming-Chi Kuo made a similar claim for the iPhone 17, complete with the same lens element count.

Continuing the note, Pu believes the regular model of iPhone 17 won't have 6.3-inch display. This goes against other rumors, which insist that the standard model would have a 6.3-inch screen.

Other iPhone 17 rumors have included Apple ditching the Plus model in favor of the iPhone Slim, the Pro models gaining 12GB of memory, and the use of a thinner, lighter motherboard.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    RIP iPhone 16. I really would’ve liked upgrading from my 12 to a 16 pro max but the rumors make the 17 pros far more appealing 
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Before the next generation of iPhone is released there are always rumors of how the iPhone generation after that is going to be even better, so i think will wait for the iPhone ♾️➕1 just to be sure I won’t miss the latest technology update. /s 🤣
    jellybellybeowulfschmidt