The next state to get Apple Wallet driver's licenses is probably California

Posted:
in iOS

California is gearing up to offer a digital driver's license, allowing drivers to carry a version of the government ID in the Apple Wallet.

Smartphone screen displaying a scanned driver's license with the name Mark Perlson, birthdate 04/01/1976, height 6'1', weight 160 lbs, with a photo.
Adding a driving license to Apple Wallet

The rollout of the ability to store digital driving licenses and state IDs in the Apple Wallet is extremely slow, with Ohio becoming only the fifth state to do so in July. While it is unclear which state will be next, it seems California is getting closer to joining the group.

A pair of internal websites shared by an AppleInsider reader shows the DMV in California is operating a pilot of digital driving licenses. It is an internal beta test, and will only be used by DMV employees, rather than outsiders.

For the trial, employees must have a valid California driver's license or ID card, an iPhone running iOS 17.5 or later, and an Apple Watch that's up to date. They also need to have Face ID or Touch ID turned on, two-factor authentication on the Apple ID, and the device region set to the United States.

The internal testing is a good sign that the digital license is on the way for the state. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that the facility will be offered to civilians anytime soon.

Originally introduced in 2020, the digital license stored in the Apple Wallet offers quick electronic scanning of the credential via an iPhone or Apple Watch. It will work with electronic readers, and will even work at select TSA checkpoints at airports.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 73member
    Wow awesome for CA! Cmon NY!
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 7
    XedXed Posts: 2,780member
    1) I can't wait until this is all 50 states.

2) Does anyone know how it transmits data via the device? Is it NFC? Are all state licenses using the same foundation?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,012member
    As one of those who opted to try the new digital CDL (non-Apple Wallet) currently being tested, let me caution you. So far, it has been accepted NOWHERE. Given I haven’t been pulled over by a cop, but on about a dozen occasions when asked to see an ID and I flashed them my iPhone screen the response was always the same: “What’s that? It has to be a real license?” The last time I was asked for it as an ID (China consulate to get a visa) they said it would have been okay if it had my home address—it doesn’t! I hope California does testing not just if it works (shows up on screen) but whether or not it is being accepted. Flood local media with info that it’s REAL and is a good as a card, and include a new law that requires acceptance in lieu of a physical card or you can be fined or sued. And for god’s sake, put an address on it!
    edited August 5 williamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Connecticut was supposed to have joined in years ago. that seemed to have gone poof!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,049member
    I doubt we will be next. If I had to guess, we won't get digital IDs for at least another five years, and they will only be available to be used at the airport.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    As one of those who opted to try the new digital CDL (non-Apple Wallet) currently being tested, let me caution you. So far, it has been accepted NOWHERE. Given I haven’t been pulled over by a cop, but on about a dozen occasions when asked to see an ID and I flashed them my iPhone screen the response was always the same: “What’s that? It has to be a real license?” The last time I was asked for it as an ID (China consulate to get a visa) they said it would have been okay if it had my home address—it doesn’t! I hope California does testing not just if it works (shows up on screen) but whether or not it is being accepted. Flood local media with info that it’s REAL and is a good as a card, and include a new law that requires acceptance in lieu of a physical card or you can be fined or sued. And for god’s sake, put an address on it!
    My backwater state of Louisiana has a digital ID/app, and it's accepted 100% everywhere the physical license is. Have used it when pulled over and it was a breeze (they take a photo of it while in my hand). Apple's implementation will just be better as it works while locked. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,374member
    My backwater state of Louisiana has a digital ID/app, and it's accepted 100% everywhere the physical license is. Have used it when pulled over and it was a breeze (they take a photo of it while in my hand). Apple's implementation will just be better as it works while locked. 

Cool. I was wondering how it worked in those circumstances. It's one thing showing your phone to buy beer, but handing over to a cop is another thing entirely.