Apple Maps now works in Firefox and Edge for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software

After initially working on Safari, Chrome, and Edge for Windows, Apple Maps is now working in other browsers, including Firefox and Edge for Mac.

Computer screen showing Apple Maps with detailed information about Apple Park, its location, facilities, and nearby areas in Cupertino, California.
Apple Maps in Firefox on macOS

In July, after over a decade of waiting, Apple Maps became available on the web in beta, but it worked with a limited range of browsers. In an update on Friday, it's now accessible using many more browsers.

July's introduction included support for a few popular browsers. Alongside the obvious Safari, it included support for Chrome as well as Microsoft Edge, albeit only on PC.

Under the update, the support is expanded to include Firefox in general. The Edge browser's Mac version now also works with the map.

The expansion of support is good news for the project, which could give users a viable mapping alternative to the dominant Google Maps in the browser.

Just like the other browsers, the newly supported ones include the same level of functionality, including search and a familiar mapping interface that you will find in the Apple Maps app. In lieu of turn-by-turn navigation, you can still generate directions between locations.

Guides, business information, and reviews are accessible. The Google Street View-like Look Around feature is planned for a future update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 188member
    I’m curious, does any Mac user really use EDGE? Firefox, definitely. But MS EDGE?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    M68000M68000 Posts: 828member
    One of my pet peeves is how annoying msn.com is to use on Mac safari.  It’s just awful, scrolling way beyond what you click on scroll bar.  And then lag lag… Why can’t this be fixed by Microsoft??!   It makes me wonder if it’s intentional.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thedbathedba Posts: 774member
    AniMill said:
    I’m curious, does any Mac user really use EDGE? Firefox, definitely. But MS EDGE?
    I do.
    Safari for my personal stuff.
    MS Edge and the entire MS Office suite for my company’s business.
    Chrome to connect to my client’s MS Office 365 site and their infrastructure.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    What happened to web browsers implementing open standards that render all compliant content the same? Seems like a step back to the days of IE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    XedXed Posts: 2,782member
    AniMill said:
    I think you'll find that a large number of Mac users also use Windows which means that using Edge has a high probability, especially when it's a new install. I certainly use Edge more than Firefox as the only time I even come across Firefox on Windows is if someone else has it installed and I happen to be helping them with an issue. I do keep Firefox (and Chrome) installed on my Mac, but I only ever use them if I don't think something is working properly in Safari, which is exceedingly rare these days, and my secondary option will be Chrome for Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    XedXed Posts: 2,782member
    What happened to web browsers implementing open standards that render all compliant content the same? Seems like a step back to the days of IE.
    I haven't delved into this much in the last 2 decades so I'm far from an authority on the matter, but I feel like there has been some backwards movement with browsers, but it's no where near what we experienced with IE6's anticompetitive reign or the struggle to get WebKit supported after the iPhone took off. The problem is that open standards doesn't equate to standardization.
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 7 of 8

AniMill said:

Yes, I am all-in on the Apple ecosystem, but I much prefer EDGE as my default mobile and laptop browser. I am a heavy user of EDGE's Collection feature. The EDGE browser is pretty much the only thing I regularly use outside of Apple's native applications. I used it, then went back to Safari, then back to EDGE.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    AniMill said:
    I've seen it.

It's pretty rare, and it's an awful browser, but I've seen a few users with it installed.  I don't see the point, it's just Chrome with M$ spying on you instead of Google.

I use Firefox for almost everything on Mac, Windoze, or Linux.  I use Orion on iOS because it can run Firefox extensions - and I don't ever want to browse without uBlock Origin.  And since there's no uBlock for Safari... well, that's just not usable.