Top 5 mice for Macs -- for gamers, professionals, and everyone in between

Posted:
in macOS

Grab the perfect mouse for your Mac with our favorite picks for ergonomics, everyday use, and gaming.

Five different computer mice are displayed: a blue wireless mouse, a vertical ergonomic mouse, a trackball mouse, a black wireless mouse, and a black gaming mouse.
Best mice for Mac

If you're looking for a new mouse for your Mac, look no further. Whether you need a portable mouse to carry in your bag with your MacBook or an ergonomic mouse for long days at the desktop, AppleInsider has put together a great list of mice to meet your needs.

Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse

Perhaps one of the most ubiquitous wireless mice out there, the M185 is a classic for a reason. This is the mouse that nearly everyone gets when purchasing their first wireless mouse.

Wireless computer mouse with a blue top and black sides alongside a small USB receiver.
Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse

A compact design available with either a USB-C receiver or Bluetooth, this mouse stows away in laptop bags easily. It also features an ambidextrous design, making it great for lefties as well.

It takes a single AA battery, and you'll get an average of 12 months of use before you need to swap out the battery -- no more worrying about losing power at a critical time.

The only downside is that users with larger hands might find it too small.

Buy at Amazon

The Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse is available at Amazon in a variety of colors, including gray, red, blue, rose, and off-white, starting at $13.98.

Logitech Signature M550

If you like the design of the Logitech M185 but have larger hands, we highly suggest checking out Logitech's Signature M550. It's essentially the same model, only sized up for users needing a little more mouse.

A black ergonomic computer mouse with a scroll wheel and a small green light on top.
Logitech Signature M550Logitech Signature M550Logitech Signature M550
Buy at Amazon

The Logitech M550 is available from Amazon in both black and blue, with prices starting at $23.72.

Razer DeathAdder V3 HyperSpeed Wireless Esports Gaming Mouse

If you're a gamer, you know the importance of a good mouse -- the smallest touches can make the biggest difference in the middle of a game. Razer's DeathAdder V3 Hyperspeed Mouse is a popular choice thanks to design choices that make it ideal for gaming.

Black wireless computer mouse with green indicator light, accompanied by a charging cable, adapter, and USB receiver.
Razer DeathAdder V3 HyperSpeed wireless mouse

First, it's a very lightweight mouse -- only 55g -- making it fast and easy to use. But it's not just lightweight, it's balanced, too. Razer has prioritized a mass-centralized design, which helps boost precision.

Buy at Best Buy

The Deathadder V3 Hyperspeed Mouse gives gamers pixel-precise aim with a sensor that flawlessly tracks movements with 99.6% resolution accuracy and 26K DPI. It also features up to 100 hours of battery life and can be recharged via USB-C.

While not the cheapest mouse, its durability and precision make it a solid choice for those serious about the game. The Razer DeathAdder V3 HyperSpeed Wireless Esports Gaming Mouse is our priciest pick at $99 from Razer and Amazon.

Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring

Kensington has many nice options if you're in the market for a trackball mouse. We personally think that the Orbit Trackball Mouse is a solid choice.

Black ergonomic trackball mouse with a large blue spherical ball in the center and wired connection.
Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll RingKensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring

We love the oversized trackball that is easy to manipulate with your fingers, and the unique scroll ring gives you an intuitive way to scroll through long web pages and documents.

Buy at Amazon

You can snag the Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring from Amazon in both wired and wireless versions, starting at $34.97.

Anker Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Vertical Mouse

Using a standard mouse for hours on end every day can be hard on your wrist. That's why Anker designed its Vertical Mouse to encourage healthy, neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions.

Ergonomic vertical computer mouse with a black matte finish and a wired connection.
Anker Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Vertical Mouse

In addition to its vertical layout, the Vertical Mouse has added next/previous buttons, allowing you to browse the web or PDFs easily.

Buy at Amazon

Because this model only comes in a USB-A version, you'll want to ensure you have a USB-A port, an adapter, or a USB hub available before you buy.

You can pick up the Anker Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Vertical Mouse from Amazon for $22.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,945member
    Glad you mentioned size. I used a Logitech M185 for a year or a bit more, but it was just too small. I moved to a M720 and my hand and arm are MUCH happier. Pain is gone and fatigue is much reduced at the end of the day. 

When buying a mouse, try it out, they aren’t a one-size-fits-all thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Since you (AppleInsider) didn't specify that the article was specifically about third-party mice for Macs, I'm surprised that the Apple Magic Mouse didn't get a mention — at least to compare how these third-party mice differ in features and/or design versus Apple's Magic Mouse. Love it (as I do) or hate it (as many do), the Magic Mouse has been the standard mouse for Macs since its first version arrived in late 2009.

One feature that has kept me a fan of the Magic Mouse all these years is its Multi-Touch surface, which allows for scrolling of a Mac's on-screen content exactly like an iPhone. Multi-Touch on the Magic Mouse also allows for additional features like swiping between pages and/or applications (which I use constantly) and quick access to Mission Control (which isn't a critical feature to me). I've enjoyed using Apple's Magic Mouse since day 1.

Yes, that Apple placed the Lightning charging port on the bottom in the current-gen design is silly — but given that the mouse only needs to be charged every couple of months (in my experience), this has never bothered me. The benefits of Multi-Touch far outweigh the downside of having to flip it over to recharge. (I'm hoping for an improved design when Apple finally switches it to USB-C.)

If Apple's Magic Mouse is physically uncomfortable for you to use, well … no argument there. For me, it has always been perfectly comfortable. I've got several Macs at home and work plus a Magic Mouse for each (including for my MacBook Pro).

I've always wondered why no third-party's mouse attempts to replicate and/or improve on the Magic Mouse's Multi-Touch feature. Does Apple not allow third parties access to the appropriate APIs?
    freqsound.commattinozpoisednoiseVictorMortimer9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,436member
    Top 5 if you need to hold the mouse, great for games but not a lot else. 
    If you like a puck mouse, everyone is functionally inferior to the magic mouse.
    I'd add a Windows surface mouse in before a couple of these. for professional use.

9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Since you (AppleInsider) didn't specify that the article was specifically about third-party mice for Macs, I'm surprised that the Apple Magic Mouse didn't get a mention — at least to compare how these third-party mice differ in features and/or design versus Apple's Magic Mouse. Love it (as I do) or hate it (as many do), the Magic Mouse has been the standard mouse for Macs since its first version arrived in late 2009.

One feature that has kept me a fan of the Magic Mouse all these years is its Multi-Touch surface, which allows for scrolling of a Mac's on-screen content exactly like an iPhone. Multi-Touch on the Magic Mouse also allows for additional features like swiping between pages and/or applications (which I use constantly) and quick access to Mission Control (which isn't a critical feature to me). I've enjoyed using Apple's Magic Mouse since day 1.

Yes, that Apple placed the Lightning charging port on the bottom in the current-gen design is silly — but given that the mouse only needs to be charged every couple of months (in my experience), this has never bothered me. The benefits of Multi-Touch far outweigh the downside of having to flip it over to recharge. (I'm hoping for an improved design when Apple finally switches it to USB-C.)

If Apple's Magic Mouse is physically uncomfortable for you to use, well … no argument there. For me, it has always been perfectly comfortable. I've got several Macs at home and work plus a Magic Mouse for each (including for my MacBook Pro).

I've always wondered why no third-party's mouse attempts to replicate and/or improve on the Magic Mouse's Multi-Touch feature. Does Apple not allow third parties access to the appropriate APIs?
    Best mouse Apple has ever made for my taste, going back to the original Mac. Feels great in my hand, and the way I hold it any buttons or other gadgetry would just feel awkward. Love the smooth surface for scrolling. It's a powerful minimalist dream for me.
    mattinozpoisednoise9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Yeah, gonna have to say this article is just wrong as written.

THE top mouse for Macs is the Magic Mouse.  No contest.  The ONLY thing that would improve it is changing to USB-C charging and putting the charge port on the nose so it can be charged while it's in use.

It's absolutely great that out of the box it's a one-button mouse.  Sure, that's not how WE use it, but for new users (and some old ones) two buttons are confusing, and Macs work just fine with one button.

The ones in the article?  Nowhere close.  The Logitech ones are... fine.  They work.  I've not touched the "gaming" mouse, it looks less comfortable.  And those other two abominations can just GTFO, garbage like that is why I carry a small wired mouse in my bag, I've got to have one if somebody has that unusable garbage on their desk.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,945member

THE top mouse for Macs is the Magic Mouse.  No contest.  The ONLY thing that would improve it is changing to USB-C charging and putting the charge port on the nose so it can be charged while it's in use.
    Mice are very personal, they have to fit your hand and work style. This is why I said you should try one out before you buy it. Personally I really don’t like the Apple Mouse. I find it too small and flat. It’s uncomfortable to hold. I also found it ‘twitchy’ even with all the sensitivities set to lowest. 
    edited August 10
  • Reply 7 of 14

THE top mouse for Macs is the Magic Mouse.  No contest...
    Actually, "THE top mouse for Macs is..." a trackpad.   :p 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,990member
    Meh. Nothing beats the Apple mouse in my opinion. Can’t stand to use anything else now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,990member

It's absolutely great that out of the box it's a one-button mouse.  Sure, that's not how WE use it, but for new users (and some old ones) two buttons are confusing, and Macs work just fine with one button.

The ones in the article?  Nowhere close.  The Logitech ones are... fine.  They work.  I've not touched the "gaming" mouse, it looks less comfortable.  And those other two abominations can just GTFO, garbage like that is why I carry a small wired mouse in my bag, I've got to have one if somebody has that unusable garbage on their desk.
    Totally agreed. 

I have a theory that those who don’t choose apples mouse are simply either lacking any experience with it, so used to PCesque junk that they do t know any better, or haven’t spent enough time with it to give it a fair shot. 

I was a razer mouse guy and also like some Microsoft mice. But after I lived with the apple mouse for week, forgetaboutit. Sold. It’s hands down the best mouse I e ever used. And I e used them all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 142member

It is about "top 5 mice", and Apple just can't make good mice.  While the magic mouse is better than the hockey puck, it is extremely unergonomic. You can't charge and use it either...

Apple is the best by far on TouchPads, but mice... Failure.

I used it and tried to use the Magic Mouse for many years, but it just isn't good. My current mouse is an MX Master 3 for Mac, and it has served me well. Heartily recommended.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 11 of 14
    It's always subjective of course, but I think it a little odd that the de facto standard choice of designers everywhere isn't mentioned: the Logitech MX Master (v1, v2 or v3).

Ergonomically comfortable, very accurate, works on any surface and as many buttons and wheels as you can cope with.

I literally take mine everywhere with my laptop... once you're used to the muscle memory of quickly muting your mic or switching apps or zooming in/out or changing the volume  with the various buttons, it's very hard to feel efficient without it.

Apple mice are kind of fun novelties (and the little trackpad on top of whichever one had it was pretty cool), and they're great for casual users, but they're not really fit for serious work IMHO.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Mice aren’t ergonomic. I don’t what whizzy shapes or colors they come in. 
    Mouse inflicted hand strain is a feature, with mice, not a bug.

I’m a trackball guy. My longtime favorite trackball is the Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball. 
    They have wired or wireless versions. I prefer wired. I have 2. One for home, one in my travel bag.

How could this be omitted from the article?

I tried lots of different trackballs over time, but this is the best. Hands down.

Ergonomically fantastic. The ball is good sized, 2.1” (55mm), rolls quickly, very easily and with ZERO mouse-claw hand strain. 
    It has the scroll ring around the mouse, which like the ball, is incredibly fast and easy to use. Way better than those dinky scroll wheels.
    4 programmable buttons, too.

Perfect for multiple monitor setups.
    Very accurate. I use it for Vectorworks 2D/3D CAD, Photoshop, gaming. Absolutely GREAT! 
    edited August 12 macike
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,528member
    I suppose there's a mouse for everyone and every occasion. I've tried so very many over the years, and settled now on the Logi G502x. Customized mouse buttons for frequent commands, ie save/undo/zoom/copy/paste, makes for faster graphics work. Combined with a wrist rest there's no hand strain either.

Oh, and always wired now. I was once a fan of wireless, but got over it. :)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,249member
    Come on guys, the Magic Mouse can’t be used while it is being charged. A complete and utter design fail!