Apple grants US developers the same NFC features it was forced to provide in Europe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    avon b7 said:
    Good.

Now give us the ability to install software from any source of our choosing, not just your idiotic app store.
    No, because this is a feature not a bug. It’s what’s made the iPhone stone-simple to use, without fear of junk ware or malware or the ills of PCs. Don’t like it? Buy an Android. What are you waiting for? Go, be happy. You’re free now, Yeller!
    What has gone before is not always the right way to do things.

The iPhone stopped being easy to use many years ago and other systems are equally not difficult to use. Easy is not the same as being used to something. 
    It’s the right way for iOS to do things, which is why it’s such an incredibly popular platform and device. Don’t like that? Stick to the knockoffs and what’s right for them. 

Nah, iOS is still easier to use than the knockoff androids. And more secure. 

I realize Europe goes out of its way to protect its own industries (spotify, Luxotica, etc) and therefore doesn’t value US-creations that dominant the market with success, but tough tulips. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Good.

Now give us the ability to install software from any source of our choosing, not just your idiotic app store.
    No, because this is a feature not a bug. It’s what’s made the iPhone stone-simple to use, without fear of junk ware or malware or the ills of PCs. Don’t like it? Buy an Android. What are you waiting for? Go, be happy. You’re free now, Yeller!
    "...without fear of junk ware or malware..."

I'm not sure what app store you're using on your phone, but there's plenty of junk ware and malware on Apple's app store.
    Please. Exceptions to the rule, unlike the hellscape that is PCs, which is what normies fled from, with good reason. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 26
    avon b7 said:
    Good.

The iPhone stopped being easy to use many years ago and other systems are equally not difficult to use. Easy is not the same as being used to something. 

It is possibly correct to say that even Apple knows the situation can't go on forever and is slowly adjusting to a more level (yet imposed) playing field. Better late than never. 

Is there any major market that isn't putting Big Tech (it's not just an Apple thing as some seem to think) under the microscope and taking or evaluating appropriate measures?

What makes a digital mobile platform a success is not the hardware but the apps available for it. If any platform offered solely first party solutions, it wouldn't get far.

Setting yourself up as the only gatekeeper and imposing not only financial rules and regulations but also what kinds of apps are even available and then putting up barriers to things like NFC usage was never to escape regulatory pushback at some point.

'Buy an Android' isn't a valid proposal as it ignores why Apple (in this context) on the hook in the first place. 

A far better proposal would be for Apple to go 100% first party but then not even you would buy into that. And Apple doesn't want it either. That option has always existed but Apple knows what side its bread is buttered on and it very much likes its butter. Better to just comply (even if 'maliciously' at first to see how far it can push things. 

Excellent post. Well said, particularly on the points that i have highlighted in bold. iOS is not easy to use, Apple's smartphone customers have gotten used to iOS, so they find Android difficult to use. Much like people who are used to Windows finding it difficult to use Linux or MacOS.
    Dunno what planet you’re on but here on Earth iOS is still easy to use. My 80 year old parents seem to get by just fine. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 26
    avon b7 said:
    Good.

It is possibly correct to say that even Apple knows the situation can't go on forever and is slowly adjusting to a more level (yet imposed) playing field. Better late than never. 

Is there any major market that isn't putting Big Tech (it's not just an Apple thing as some seem to think) under the microscope and taking or evaluating appropriate measures?

What makes a digital mobile platform a success is not the hardware but the apps available for it. If any platform offered solely first party solutions, it wouldn't get far.

Setting yourself up as the only gatekeeper and imposing not only financial rules and regulations but also what kinds of apps are even available and then putting up barriers to things like NFC usage was never to escape regulatory pushback at some point.

'Buy an Android' isn't a valid proposal as it ignores why Apple (in this context) on the hook in the first place. 

A far better proposal would be for Apple to go 100% first party but then not even you would buy into that. And Apple doesn't want it either. That option has always existed but Apple knows what side its bread is buttered on and it very much likes its butter. Better to just comply (even if 'maliciously' at first to see how far it can push things. 

Excellent post. Well said, particularly on the points that i have highlighted in bold. iOS is not easy to use, Apple's smartphone customers have gotten used to iOS, so they find Android difficult to use. Much like people who are used to Windows finding it difficult to use Linux or MacOS.
    Dunno what planet you’re on but here on Earth iOS is still easy to use. My 80 year old parents seem to get by just fine. 
    I am from earth as well but from a different country (India) where we are NOT used to iOS like in your country (USA). iOS has less than 5% marketshare here in India because iPhones are not affordable for more than 80% of our population. So we are NOT used to iOS like people in USA are used to (where iOS IS the dominant smartphone OS). When I used iOS for the first time in 1st gen iPad Air, I found it to be extremely difficult to use. Which is why I completely agree with Avon's statement "Easy is not the same as being used to something". Your 80 year old parents get by iOS just fine, not because iOS is easy to use, but because they are used to it.
    edited August 17 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    avon b7 said:
    Good.

A far better proposal would be for use. Wee to go 100% first party but then not even you would buy into that. And Apple doesn't want it either. That option has always existed but Apple knows what side its bread is buttered on and it very much likes its butter. Better to just comply (even if 'maliciously' at first to see how far it can push things. 

I am from earth as well but from a different country (India) where we are NOT used to iOS like in your country (USA). iOS has less than 5% marketshare here in India because iPhones are not affordable for more than 80% of our population. So we are NOT used to iOS like people in USA are used to (where iOS IS the dominant smartphone OS). When I used iOS for the first time in 1st gen iPad Air, I found it to be extremely difficult to use. Which is why I completely agree with Avon's statement "Easy is not the same as being used to something". Your 80 year old parents get by iOS just fine, not because iOS is easy to use, but because they are used to it.
    Absolutely. 

And I wonder what most 80 year olds actually use the phones for. It is more than likely just basic front facing functionality for most part.

iOS (and to be fair, Android) went completely off the rails years ago with ease of use. We have simply become used to how things are done. As you say, that doesn't make those things easy. Modern mobile operating systems are not simple/easy to use and iOS specifically has long been a problem child.

Here is an example for our grandparents:

This applies to the iOS on my wife's phone.

Open Calculator app. 

Type in a few numbers. Let's say 5123. Let's imagine that last digit (three) was a mistake.

How do our grandparents delete it? 

I would be very surprised if any grandparent could find out how to do it without having it explained to them (you are supposed to 'swipe' over the number screen). 

If I do the same thing on my Android phone it is easy. There is a standard delete key on the Calculator keypad.

Apple likes to promote 'discoverabilty' but couldn't be bothered to add a standard delete button to its app. 
    edited August 17 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    avon b7 said:
    Good.

It’s the right way for iOS to do things, which is why it’s such an incredibly popular platform and device. Don’t like that? Stick to the knockoffs and what’s right for them. 

Nah, iOS is still easier to use than the knockoff androids. And more secure. 

I realize Europe goes out of its way to protect its own industries (spotify, Luxotica, etc) and therefore doesn’t value US-creations that dominant the market with success, but tough tulips. 
    Most of the major hardware/software improvements to iPhones/iOS for the last few years have been present on Android/HarmonyOS devices for years. 

Who is 'knocking off' who? 

After resisting (very stubbornly) customisation options for years, Apple now thinks it's the way to go! Not unlike resisting email downloads to devices, which also went on for years, and even today the file management side is still lacking. 

muthuk_vanalingam