Digital IDs in Apple Wallet now confirmed for California residents

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple has confirmed that Californians can soon carry their driver's licenses and state IDs digitally on their iPhone and Apple Watch.

iPhone displaying a digital card and 'Hold Near Reader' text alongside an Apple Watch showing the same card, on a teal background with abstract circles.
Digital IDs in Apple Wallet now confirmed for California residents

The new feature, set to be rolled out as part of California's mobile driver's license (mDL) pilot program, marks a significant step in the state's efforts to embrace digital identification. The move was rumored earlier in August, but the company officially confirmed it on Thursday.

Apple Wallet's integration with state IDs lets Californians present their iPhones or Apple Watches at Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoints and select businesses. The IDs can also verify age or identity in certain apps, making physical IDs obsolete.

California is not the first state to adopt this technology. Five other states -- Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, Georgia, and Ohio -- have already integrated driver's licenses and state IDs into Apple Wallet. The expansion of the technology across multiple states reflects a growing trend toward digital identification solutions that offer greater convenience without compromising security.

For those interested in learning more about the new feature or participating in the California DMV's mDL pilot program, additional information is available on the DMV's official website.

Apple Wallet is secure

Apple has incorporated several layers of security to protect users' personal information. When users add their ID to Apple Wallet, the state-issuing authority only receives the information required to approve or deny the request.

Once added, the ID information is encrypted and stored locally on the user's device, ensuring that it can't be accessed by Apple or any third party without the user's explicit consent.

Only the necessary information is shared when presenting an ID through Apple Wallet. Users authorize each transaction using Face ID or Touch ID for added security. Users don't need to unlock, show, or hand over their devices, protecting their privacy.

As more states follow suit, digital identification may soon become the new standard, although it will take a long time for physical IDs to become a thing of the past.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 75member
    Nice for CA! Eventually no need to carry wallet anymore. Cmon NY!
    mike1iOS_Guy80StrangeDayswatto_cobrajbirdiikun
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I just signed up. As of now, your mDL (mobile drivers license) resides in the CA DMV Wallet app. It won't go into the Apple Wallet, which is probably why I can't get it onto my AppleWatch. It's still a pilot program and is not approved for if you get pulled over while driving in CA, isn't recognized yet in other states, and may not be recognized by businesses (all per the DMV FAQ). I'm thinking of it as a backup document for TSA for now. 
    watto_cobrajbirdiikun
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    ssfe11 said:
    It will be a nice backup system. However, there is no chance whatsoever that I would ditch the physical version of a state DL or an insurance document when operating a motor vehicle. All you need is some...unsophisticated...individual that simply refuses to accept your "fake ID" and you're off to administrative hell. 

And before you scoff, I had a similar instance happen with the digital vaccination card approved in my state. Had all the info that was then required, and I showed it to an individual that required it for access to a specific location, and they simply said, "oh, we need to see your card." Had I not had it, I would have been refused...and that would have been problematic at the time.

Same with car and house keys. These physical items will not be replaced by digital versions by me. Ever.

YMMV. 

watto_cobraVictorMortimer
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I just signed up. As of now, your mDL (mobile drivers license) resides in the CA DMV Wallet app. It won't go into the Apple Wallet, which is probably why I can't get it onto my AppleWatch. It's still a pilot program and is not approved for if you get pulled over while driving in CA, isn't recognized yet in other states, and may not be recognized by businesses (all per the DMV FAQ). I'm thinking of it as a backup document for TSA for now. 
    Not only is it no good for cops if pulled over, I have yet to have anyone accept it as a valid ID. Basically worthless in its present state. 
    watto_cobraVictorMortimer
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,149member
    eightzero said:
    ssfe11 said:
    It will be a nice backup system. However, there is no chance whatsoever that I would ditch the physical version of a state DL or an insurance document when operating a motor vehicle. All you need is some...unsophisticated...individual that simply refuses to accept your "fake ID" and you're off to administrative hell. 

And before you scoff, I had a similar instance happen with the digital vaccination card approved in my state. Had all the info that was then required, and I showed it to an individual that required it for access to a specific location, and they simply said, "oh, we need to see your card." Had I not had it, I would have been refused...and that would have been problematic at the time.

Same with car and house keys. These physical items will not be replaced by digital versions by me. Ever.

YMMV. 
    This is correct.

In addition, as long as credit card companies assess merchant transaction fees, some stores will be cash only. Others will offer discounts on cash purchases (many gas station chains have lower cash prices). There are many mom-and-pop stores, a few coffee shops, bars, that are cash only. Also, if you ever go to a farmers market or flea market without cash, you will be shut out by a lot of vendors who are cash only.

And even if the drivers license comes to the iPhone, it's still at the discretion of other parties to accept it as a legal document. You really need some sort of terminal to verify that the digital ID is legitimate. Anyone can fake a screenshot of a digital ID so just waving your phone in front of someone's face isn't going to do. Nightclubs, bars, concert halls will not uniformly and immediately install equipment to validate these digital IDs, so if you want to buy booze at some sports bar, you will need your physical card anyhow.

Let's say you go bar hopping with friends and unlike them, you only bring your digital ID leaving the physical cards (and plastic credit cards at home). What is only 1 in the four bars accepts digital IDs? What are going to do? Stand outside sipping water from a disposable cup while your pals quench their thirst? Nah, you have to bring your physical ID card until you are guaranteed that you won't ever need it. Hell, NFC contactless payment systems have been around for 20+ years and there are still places that are cash only. And even places that take credit cards don't always have POS terminals that accept NFC contactless payments.

Again, this is the type of thread that highlights who is naive and who isn't.
    edited August 16 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraVictorMortimer
  • Reply 6 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,014member
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:
    ssfe11 said:

YMMV. 
    This is correct.

In addition, as long as credit card companies assess merchant transaction fees, some stores will be cash only. Others will offer discounts on cash purchases (many gas station chains have lower cash prices). There are many mom-and-pop stores, a few coffee shops, bars, that are cash only. Also, if you ever go to a farmers market or flea market without cash, you will be shut out by a lot of vendors who are cash only.

And even if the drivers license comes to the iPhone, it's still at the discretion of other parties to accept it as a legal document. You really need some sort of terminal to verify that the digital ID is legitimate. Anyone can fake a screenshot of a digital ID so just waving your phone in front of someone's face isn't going to do. Nightclubs, bars, concert halls will not uniformly and immediately install equipment to validate these digital IDs, so if you want to buy booze at some sports bar, you will need your physical card anyhow.

Let's say you go bar hopping with friends and unlike them, you only bring your digital ID leaving the physical cards (and plastic credit cards at home). What is only 1 in the four bars accepts digital IDs? What are going to do? Stand outside sipping water from a disposable cup while your pals quench their thirst? Nah, you have to bring your physical ID card until you are guaranteed that you won't ever need it. Hell, NFC contactless payment systems have been around for 20+ years and there are still places that are cash only. And even places that take credit cards don't always have POS terminals that accept NFC contactless payments.

Nonsense. My backwater state of Louisiana has offered a digital DL for years, and it’s legally binding and must be accepted everywhere in the state. Zero issues. Even pulled over once with it. 

This stuff is that difficult. Fear mongering not necessary.  
    watto_cobrajbirdiikun
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:
    ssfe11 said:

YMMV. 
    This is correct.

Nonsense. My backwater state of Louisiana has offered a digital DL for years, and it’s legally binding and must be accepted everywhere in the state. Zero issues. Even pulled over once with it. 

I'm happy for you. You've had years of success. And then maybe one day, less so. Is it really worth it? YMMV. 

I read a great piece by a phone thief that described how fast they can do a smash and grab on a target. It is all about chumming up and offering to take their pic...and then claiming it is locked, and the target (usually a bar) simply gives them the code, of unlocks and hands it back. They are *so good* and getting what they need in seconds. And they get to all your bank accounts, and you. are. done. 

Maybe someone can confirm, but I think when the digital ID is on the screen, it can only be done so with everything else locked. But visual inspection? If I needed someone to ID themself, I would never take a mere look at a screen. Without a companion digital verification (likely in use by LA law enforcement) it is unlikely to be accepted by someone other than a fool. 

Even when I know about this, it is so easy to break protocol. I was at TSA, and selected for a random search of my iPhone. Dammit if I didn't remember Gruber's mantra: "Internalize holding the side button and down button before it leaves your hand." Man, handing an unlocked iPhone to a US Government Official is maybe the stupidest thing ever. Yeah, what do I have to hide? TSA people don't steal do they? Unh hunh.

There are extreme hazards in this technology, and being aware of them is not fear mongering. The risk just isn't worth the reward. Backup, sure. It likely works out. Rely on? No way. Again, YMMV, and I wish you continued success.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamVictorMortimer
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The California mDL program has been around awhile. There is NO WAY I would install a state sponsored app on my phone.

This announcement is about California allowing the State ID/DL to be a part of Apple Wallet, separate from the pilot program you just joined. This is just the announcement — it’s not ready yet… it’ll likely be at least a couple weeks before you’re able to add your ID into the wallet… and participating in the mDL shouldn’t be a prerequisite.
    watto_cobraVictorMortimerjbirdiikun
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,640member
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:
    ssfe11 said:

YMMV. 
    This is correct.

The current reality in some newly adopting states moving to digital drivers licenses (DDL) is somewhere in between what you are both saying. In Ohio for example, it is a fully legal form of identification that can be added to your Apple Wallet but there is no edict that it "must be accepted anywhere" because very few businesses are currently setup to handle it. In fact, in Ohio it can be only be used at two airports in the entire state (really?) and businesses can choose whether to accept it or not. The DDL in Ohio is only available now for iPhone, not Android. The state is concurrently rolling out a companion iOS app (Ohio Mobile ID Check) that businesses can use to verify the authenticity of digital driver's licenses, if they choose to. 

I believe that all states that are jumping into the DDL want it to be used far and wide. It probably saves money for the states which is likely why some states are trying to mandate its acceptance. At some point I'm sure DDLs will be widely accepted when all of the required infrastructure is in place. It will be interesting to see whether states that currently allow businesses and facilities to choose whether to accept DDLs move to make it mandatory for all of them to accept DDLs.

There's nothing to get up in arms about because these things always take time to work through all of the nuances. More than a few years ago most states were pushing hard to have everyone obtain "verified" drivers licenses just to fly domestically without a passport in order to meet TSA requirements. That seems to be on hold with no clear resolution in sight. Maybe everyone's waiting for nationwide DDLs to be put in place? In any case, until I have total confidence that I no longer need to carry a physical drivers license I'll keep it in my wallet just in case. I'll continue to carry my passport when flying anywhere, even domestically. I suppose digital passports are next on the hit parade, at least until we all have to get chipped. 

Speaking of cash-only, I've seen places like coffee shops near me that only support cashless payments. The "no cash" model is starting to gain momentum. Requiring everyone to have a chip implant containing a globally unique id is still a crazy thought, but it is no longer beyond the realm of probability for the future. Apple Intelligence will sort it all out.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,397member
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:
    ssfe11 said:

YMMV. 

You really need some sort of terminal to verify that the digital ID is legitimate. Anyone can fake a screenshot of a digital ID so just waving your phone in front of someone's face isn't going to do. 

This. We'er awash with fake physical drivers' licenses. Many lay people can spot the average fake, at least for their state. Physical licenses depending on the state will have safeguards not available on a digital image.

There are excellent fake IDs available to those who know where to find them and have money. In my experience they are far less common than the typical "fake ID" which is not all that hard to spot.

Without a terminal that guarantees the merchant of authenticity like the POS readers for credit cards, acceptance will be glacially slow.

A terminal could tell the store clerk that the customer is over 21 and show their pic and not display their address or age and other non-essential information for a given circumstance.

A cop makes a stop and the driver shows his phone/watch with a pic and code displayed. The cop has a device that when held near the phone/watch info is read off the screen or securely AirDropped and he gets a return from the issuing authority showing a DL pic and data and Cool/Uncool. "Show me your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance". Bing! Done. Along with any relevant information like warrants etc. All from the secure Apple Wallet. It could also make writing a summons that much faster for all concerned. "Have a nice day."