Epic Games Store goes live for EU iPhone users

Posted:
in iOS

The Epic Games Store has finally launched in the European Union, providing gamers with ways to access games on their iPhone without going through the App Store.

Epic Games Store app interface on two smartphones displaying Fortnite, Fall Guys, and Rocket League Sideswipe game listings.
Epic Games Store

After the lengthy and expensive legal battle over payments and rival app storefronts, as well as troubles with notarization, Epic Games has succeeded in bringing a digital storefront to the App Store. The Epic Games Store, a rival to the App Store, went live on Friday.

The Epic Games Store is launching with a selection of games, including Fortnite, Rocket League Sideswipe, and Fall Guys.

More games will be on the way, as Epic says it is working to allow all developers to launch games and apps through the storefront in the future. Likewise, Epic is also bringing its games to other independent mobile storefronts, such as AltStore PAL.

Only EU users will be able to install the Epic Games Store and its content, which Epic references in its announcement. Acknowledging the Digital Markets Act enabled its availability in Europe, Epic continues to state that Apple is "still blocking all other iOS users outside of Europe from accessing Fortnite and Epic Games Store for iOS."

"The tide is turning and the mobile ecosystem is finally opening up to competition," said Epic Games CEO and founder Tim Sweeney. "We are grateful to the European Commission for making it possible to launch the Epic Games Store and offer our games to iOS users in the European Union."

While "the fight is far from over," Sweeney adds that the store's launch is "tangible progress for developers and consumers who can benefit from competition and choice."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    What I wouldn't give to have an EU iPhone where I could "buy" every free game Epic offers, install them, then delete them.
    apple4thewinappleinsideruserwatto_cobraIG-apple_vienna2morrow
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I do wonder how the performance of fortnite on the 15 pro phones compare to something such as a switch (which you are lucky if the wall in front of you loads properly)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I do wonder how the performance of fortnite on the 15 pro phones compare to something such as a switch (which you are lucky if the wall in front of you loads properly)
    This review used the iPhone 15 Pro Max and mostly gushed about the performance. Zero mention of anything related to pricing differences for users of the game though. 

https://www.theverge.com/24221683/hands-on-fortnite-iphone-europe-epic-games-store

apple4thewinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nubusnubus Posts: 564member
    Installed. You can't find other app stores from App Store, searching for Epic gives you Steam and Xbox apps, and you have to go to a site and then manually open Settings. It would feel more safe to download from App Store (and with Apple charging developers perhaps it should be like that).

But here we are. Developers can connect directly to users and get taxed less. Users get more options for great content across platforms. It is a new era.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    This review used the iPhone 15 Pro Max and mostly gushed about the performance. Zero mention of anything related to pricing differences for users of the game though. 

https://www.theverge.com/24221683/hands-on-fortnite-iphone-europe-epic-games-store

I just read that 30 minutes ago but they used an iPhone 13 Pro Max not 15. And yeah not really a review of the game more on the installing process and how it “benefits” developers. But the pricing of consumers technically is what caused the issue in the first place where they lowered it to $7.99 vs $9.99 to avoid paying Apple. Since then inflation happened and this year it went up to 8.99. Besides that The Verge failed on reviewing the actual game on the iPhone and just hyping Epic Games.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nubus said:
    Installed. You can't find other app stores from App Store, searching for Epic gives you Steam and Xbox apps, and you have to go to a site and then manually open Settings. It would feel more safe to download from App Store (and with Apple charging developers perhaps it should be like that).

But here we are. Developers can connect directly to users and get taxed less. Users get more options for great content across platforms. It is a new era.
    Congrats 🎉  I read it was slightly complicated. Your mission: delete and reinstall the game until Epic gets charged. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the actual gameplay?
    edited August 16 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member

I just read that 30 minutes ago but they used an iPhone 13 Pro Max not 15. And yeah not really a review of the game more on the installing process and how it “benefits” developers. But the pricing of consumers technically is what caused the issue in the first place where they lowered it to $7.99 vs $9.99 to avoid paying Apple. Since then inflation happened and this year it went up to 8.99. Besides that The Verge failed on reviewing the actual game on the iPhone and just hyping Epic Games.
    What are you talking about? Fortnite has always been free-to-play on all platforms including iOS, iPadOS, Mac, PC, and consoles (which includes Nintendo Switch). It wasn't $9.99 nor $7.99 nor $4.99 nor $0.99. It was $0. And it's still $0.

The Verge article isn't really a game review of a specific title, it's a commentary about the return of Epic Games to both iOS and Android. Both platforms get a one paragraph review of Fortnite gameplay which is really all that's necessary since both platforms previously hosted Fortnite.

They also mention the difference between the store cuts (12% for Epic Games Store versus $30 for Apple's App Store): this would be applicable for paid titles as well as in-game purchases.

The Verge article primarily focuses on the return of the Epic Games Store to both iOS and Android platforms while highlighting the region restriction (to the EU) as well as the inconvenience of installing the store app.

I don't know what more you failed to digest from The Verge article.
    edited August 16 StrangeDayswatto_cobraapple4thewin
  • Reply 8 of 14
    nubusnubus Posts: 564member
    nubus said:

Congrats 🎉  I read it was slightly complicated. Your mission: delete and reinstall the game until Epic gets charged. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the actual gameplay?
    I don't play their games and I don't like Epic, but I want to give more users the freedom, and I despise the way Apple is placing a 30% sales tax on some developers while delivering junk search results in App Store.
    elijahgwilliamlondon9secondkox2apple4thewin
  • Reply 9 of 14
    So is. Epic still charging 30% in game items?
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 10 of 14
    imatimat Posts: 215member
    Switzerland. Not in the EU, no store. At least i can look forward to Apple intelligence coming here
  • Reply 11 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,995member
    nubus said:
    nubus said:

I don't play their games and I don't like Epic, but I want to give more users the freedom, and I despise the way Apple is placing a 30% sales tax on some developers while delivering junk search results in App Store.
    Someone has never run a business before. 
    Fidonet127ihatescreennamesbeowulfschmidtapple4thewin
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Not interested in non-Apple app stores.
    ihatescreennameswilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    NmsNms Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I hope people will not use this crap.
    Epic is a major Karen.

I will never use anything but Apple Store for apps. 
    Not when I have my house and bank accounts in my iPhone.

Epic just grow up and go do something else...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mpantone said:

What are you talking about? Fortnite has always been free-to-play on all platforms including iOS, iPadOS, Mac, PC, and consoles (which includes Nintendo Switch). It wasn't $9.99 nor $7.99 nor $4.99 nor $0.99. It was $0. And it's still $0.

The Verge article isn't really a game review of a specific title, it's a commentary about the return of Epic Games to both iOS and Android. Both platforms get a one paragraph review of Fortnite gameplay which is really all that's necessary since both platforms previously hosted Fortnite.

They also mention the difference between the store cuts (12% for Epic Games Store versus $30 for Apple's App Store): this would be applicable for paid titles as well as in-game purchases.

The Verge article primarily focuses on the return of the Epic Games Store to both iOS and Android platforms while highlighting the region restriction (to the EU) as well as the inconvenience of installing the store app.

I don't know what more you failed to digest from The Verge article.
    Um i am talking about the price of v bucks aka the micro transactions that caused this whole lawsuit and the way they titled the article i was expecting some sort of review on the game being mobile again on current gen phones compared to the pre lockout.
    edited August 19