New AirPod models to be included in fall 2024 hardware lineup

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 18

Apple is likely to update its non-Pro AirPods lineup alongside other new hardware as early as next month, replacing the current entry-level second-gen AirPods.

White wireless earbuds with a charging case on a yellow background
More AirPods are coming

A new report from Bloomberg says Apple will offer two versions of the fourth-gen AirPods -- a low-priced model with basic functionality, and a higher-priced version featuring active noise cancellation, which may replace the third-generation model. As with the current AirPod models, design changes are likely to help further distinguish the two models.

The current lineup offers the basic AirPods 2 at $129, though they are frequently on sale. The AirPods 3, which resemble but are distinct from the noise-cancelling AirPods Pro, sell for $179.

One reason for the lineup change is likely to move the charging cases across the AirPods line to USB-C, replacing the Lightning connector. The mid-tier AirPods 4 are also likely to include wireless charging in the case.

The company is also working on new firmware for the Airpods Pro that will add new head gesture control as well as improved noise isolation. Such features could also be included in the new fourth-gen AirPods mid-tier version.

Apple is likely to include Spatial Audio features across both revamped models, along with Apple Watch charging using the case's built-in battery as the AirPods 3 currently offer. The AirPods 2 model will be discontinued entirely, while the AirPods 3 may continue to be sold for a time at a reduced price.

The new report mostly fits with previous rumors about an update to the AirPods lineup. It's unclear if Apple will introduce a third-generation of the AirPods Pro, but it did promise better voice isolation in a forthcoming firmware update.

The new AirPod models are likely to be announced at an event expected next month, alongside new models of iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Stay tuned to AppleInsider for our full coverage of Apple's September 2024 event.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    What we really need is comfortable AirPods!!
    All this amazing sound and tech but so uncomfortable. Especially if head on a pillow. 

And they still fall out easily. 

Many more people would use a truly comfortable model. Hire some product designers over age 40. Or 60. 
    edited August 18
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 151member
    Give us color options 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 142member
    What I really want are new Airpods Max.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I feel like AirPods Pro are comfortable, but they don’t stay in my ears. You can buy 3rd party wings for them, but I feel like that is kind of a hassle and the battery doesn’t last long enough anyway. I currently use Shure earbuds and will likely upgrade to the newest standard next year. Several different style tips come with it but my favorite is the earplug style which stay in my ears the best. The biggest benefit of noise isolation versus noise cancellation is much better battery life. Also, Shure separates the speakers from the battery and electronics which means you don’t have to upgrade the whole thing when the battery is depleted.
    forgot username
  • Reply 5 of 9
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,019member
    xyzzy01 said:
    What I really want are new Airpods Max.
    Good news and bad news from the rumor mill. The good is that your wish will come true before year's end. The bad is that the new model will only swap out Lightning for USB-C and that will be it for improvements. I find that hard to believe, but who knows? I will say this: here in NYC, I'm seeing A LOT more Airpods Max out in the wild than I've ever seen before, so maybe they're finally selling better. I've resisted wearing mine because I don't think it's a great idea to be wearing a $549 price tag on the top of my head because why tempt the less honorably inclined among us? Airpods Max make for a pretty easy grab and run. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jfabula1 said:
    Give us color options 
    You can have any color you want. So long as its white!     (- Steve Jobs to Henry Ford)
    muthuk_vanalingamchasm
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well this stinks as I’m not a fan of the AirPods 3 design at all, and to this day I still use my AirPods 2s pretty much every day. I wish they’d just update the case to USB-C and keep them at a low price ($79?). Maybe the 4th generation AirPods will surprise me, but I’m not counting on it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,378member
    What we really need is comfortable AirPods!!
    All this amazing sound and tech but so uncomfortable. Especially if head on a pillow. 

And they still fall out easily. 

Many more people would use a truly comfortable model. Hire some product designers over age 40. Or 60. 

You should clarify that you are speaking for yourself.
    This was, is and always will be a problem for in-ear style earphones. No design is comfortable for everyone.

I am well between the ages of 40 and 60 and Apple earphones (including the original wired) fit me just fine and are comfortable. My wife on, on the other hand, has never been able to wear Apple's ear phones.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,486member
    I must be the odd man out — my AirPods Pro fit very comfortably in my ears and stay there. To be fair, I don’t wear them while sleeping — I heard of one woman who swallowed one of hers that fell out of her ear while asleep (!).

I think they sound great.