iCloud storage leads the pack across Apple's entire services ecosystem

Posted:
in iCloud edited August 21

With hardware sales slowing, Apple shifted to expanding its digital services offerings to generate billions each quarter. One service stands out as the clear leader.

A blue cloud graphic with overlapping, semi-transparent circles of varying shades on a white background.
iCloud storage leads the pack in Apple's services ecosystem

Apple has been aggressively expanding its Services segment, including Apple Music, Apple TV+, AppleCare, and the App Store, to create a steady revenue stream that balances hardware sales. While all services are not equally popular, paid iCloud storage is the most widely adopted despite its low cost compared to other services.

Nearly two-thirds of US Apple customers subscribe to paid iCloud storage, according to new data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP). The seamless integration across Apple devices and the paltry 5GB free storage limit encourage users to upgrade to paid tiers once they exceed it.

The deep integration of iCloud storage into Apple's ecosystem and its lack of direct competition make it the default choice for most Apple users. As a user's digital footprint grows, system prompts encourage users to upgrade their storage, ensuring a smooth transition from free to paid tiers.

Although competing cloud storage services like Microsoft's OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox exist, they lack the ability to seamlessly integrate into macOS or iOS. Consequently, users are required to manually upload their files, which may result in specific data types, such as Apple Notes, eBooks, and health data, getting left behind.

The competition: streaming services & AppleCare

Apple's streaming services face tougher competition. Apple Music competes with Spotify, while Apple TV+ faces Netflix. However, Apple Music and Apple TV+ have significant market shares, with 42% and 32% of Apple customers subscribing, respectively.

Bar chart showing the popularity of Apple services: iCloud paid 64%, Apple Music 42%, AppleCare iPad 35%, Apple Podcasts 37%, Apple News 27%, Apple TV 32%, AppleCare iPhone 17%.
Apple's streaming services face tougher competition

The company's other media services, like Podcasts and News, have a substantial user base, but these numbers may include free users. The fierce competition, with many alternatives, makes it harder for Apple to dominate these areas, unlike with iCloud storage.

AppleCare, the company's extended warranty service, has lower adoption rates than its digital services. Due to competition from carriers and retailers, only 17% of iPhone buyers opt for AppleCare. Unlike iCloud storage, AppleCare faces direct competition in a market with multiple options at the point of sale.

Apple faces the dual challenge of maintaining existing service growth and innovating new offerings to capture customer interest. Paid iCloud storage's success demonstrates how tightly integrated services drive user adoption and steady revenue.

However, replicating this success across services requires navigating a more complex competitive landscape. Apple's ecosystem leverage is crucial for sustaining the growth of the services segment.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,378member
    Really? More people subscribe to podcasts than TV?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I have raised my iCloud+ space from 200GB to 2TB last week. I want all my Apple devices to have access to "everything". I'm installing the iCloud app on my most recent Windows devices, and I have had iSync Premium on my Android devices for a few days now.

I did hesitate, as I'm also paying for several other cloud services (most of them amounting to 2TB each), but each cloud seems to have its own pros and cons. Like being tied to a given ecosystem or being neutral.

I have noticed that macOS can only sync the Desktop and Document folders with iCloud, but I'd love to have Downloads added. My work-around: creating a Downloads-[computer name] folder in Documents, and agreeing with myself to move everything from Downloads proper to Downloads-[computer name] to have it in my on-line pool.
    On the other hand, I may want to move certain folders away from Documents. Think of purchased content related to making music. I'll have to check that.

The freeing of local storage did play a role: I'm considering a 2013 MacBook Air with 256GB in use.

And yes, a "mirrored" situation is supposed to be in place already with my Windows devices and OneDrive.
    watto_cobramacike
  • Reply 3 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,950member
    Just imagine how much more they could bring in if they had an iCloud tier between 200GB and 2TB. Say 750GB for half the price of  2TB
    mike1williamlondonkdupuis77dewmewatto_cobraJanNL
  • Reply 4 of 14
    My two points… worthless as usual.

1— If I am not wrong… the Apple One bundle includes music, tv… and additional storage.
    So… maybe… there is some juxtaposition in the charts.

2— Apple has other ‘services.’ Business Essentials gives storage, Apple Care, and support for small business.
    I did not see any reference to that in the study. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 5 of 14
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 645member
    mike1 said:
    Really? More people subscribe to podcasts than TV?
    Actually that makes sense; you can do multiple things while listening to podcasts. Where as with TV you’re dedicated to that activity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    My two points… worthless as usual.

1— If I am not wrong… the Apple One bundle includes music, tv… and additional storage.
    So… maybe… there is some juxtaposition in the charts.

2— Apple has other ‘services.’ Business Essentials gives storage, Apple Care, and support for small business.
    I did not see any reference to that in the study. 
    1) yes, one of the reasons we got the top tier, is because either includes 2TB for our family. Plus it includes everything else.
    watto_cobramacike
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Like Daalseth wrote, it is pretty annoying there’s nothing between 200 GB and 2 TB (I got the 200 GB package but would definitely be interested in 500 or close to that) If anyone has a great option to move please share. Thanks.
    williamlondonkdupuis77dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    JohnDinEU said:
    Like Daalseth wrote, it is pretty annoying there’s nothing between 200 GB and 2 TB (I got the 200 GB package but would definitely be interested in 500 or close to that) If anyone has a great option to move please share. Thanks.
    There actually is one way around that gap if you are subscribed to Apple One (Family or Individual Plan, doesn't matter), you can adjust your plan itself based on storage of course BUT, you can also add-on iCloud storage for an additional charge. For example, my wife and I have been hovering in the 180-200GB range for a while and earlier this year it just wasn't cutting it. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I can pay the $0.99/mo additional to add the 50GB iCloud plan on top of our Apple One Family plan's 200GB for a total now of 250GB. This is fantastic as once that no longer covers us, I can just upgrade the add-on storage up to the $2.99/mo 200GB Plan for a total of 400GB. If I go any farther than that, pricewise it would then make sense to go all the way up to the 2TB plan on our Apple One plan.

Also, if you have Verizon wireless service, you can purchase Apple One, or several individual Apple services, either individual or family, under your Verizon bill at a discount. The discount is even higher if you have a military/first responder/etc account level discount as well! Our Family Apple One costs $20.00/mo (Usually $25.95 directly from Apple) and then there is a 12% military discount on top to make it $17.60/mo! So there's another money-saving tip for Verizon customers and I bet the other carriers offer something similar nowadays too!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 9 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,950member
    kdupuis77 said:
    JohnDinEU said:
    There actually is one way around that gap if you are subscribed to Apple One (Family or Individual Plan, doesn't matter),
    That’s a non starter for me. I have no interest in the services in AppleOne, other than iCloud of course.
    edited August 21 williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,163member
    www.sync.ca may be of interest to some...
    edited August 21 Alex_V
  • Reply 11 of 14
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,096member
    That graphical chart should not be used to compare Apple customers usage of various Apple services. While Apple Care and iCloud storage numbers might be the actual percentage of Apple customers that paid for those services, no way that 42% of Apple customers subscribes to Apple Music (or 32% to Apple TV+). If 42% of Apple's over 1B customers subscribes to Apple Music, Apple Music would have more than 2X the paid subscribers as Spotify.

I think that the survey actually is saying is that 42% of Apple customers that subscribes to a music streaming service, subscribes to Apple Music. The same with the 32% Apple TV+ number. The 32% should represents 32% of the Apple customers that subscribes to a video streaming service. Not the percentages of all Apple customers. 

But the article clearly states that 2/3 (64%) of Apple customers pay for iCloud storage and 17% of Apple customers buy iPhone Apple Care, while also stating that 42% of Apple customers subscribes to Apple Music and 32% subscribes to Apple TV+.

If 42% of Apple customers actually subscribed to Apple Music, the CEO of Spotify would have more reasons to get his panties in a bunch, than Apple App Store anti-steering policies.
    DAalsethdewmewatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 12 of 14
    The problem is we don't know how the bundles affect the service percentages.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    DAalseth said:
    kdupuis77 said:
    JohnDinEU said:
    There actually is one way around that gap if you are subscribed to Apple One (Family or Individual Plan, doesn't matter),
    That’s a non starter for me. I have no interest in the services in AppleOne, other than iCloud of course.
    That's unfortunate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,641member
    I have raised my iCloud+ space from 200GB to 2TB last week. I want all my Apple devices to have access to "everything". I'm installing the iCloud app on my most recent Windows devices, and I have had iSync Premium on my Android devices for a few days now.

I did hesitate, as I'm also paying for several other cloud services (most of them amounting to 2TB each), but each cloud seems to have its own pros and cons. Like being tied to a given ecosystem or being neutral.

I have noticed that macOS can only sync the Desktop and Document folders with iCloud, but I'd love to have Downloads added. My work-around: creating a Downloads-[computer name] folder in Documents, and agreeing with myself to move everything from Downloads proper to Downloads-[computer name] to have it in my on-line pool.
    On the other hand, I may want to move certain folders away from Documents. Think of purchased content related to making music. I'll have to check that.

The freeing of local storage did play a role: I'm considering a 2013 MacBook Air with 256GB in use.

And yes, a "mirrored" situation is supposed to be in place already with my Windows devices and OneDrive.
    I did the same thing (200G -> 2TB)  a couple of years ago and like other contributors I would have been just as happy with 500GB or 1TB. I was teetering on the edge of 200 GB when I switched but I'm still in the low 200s. Like you I've created several subfolders in the Documents folder. I drag these subfolders on to the Finder sidebar under Favorites/iCloud so they are more easily accessed. Everyone has their own preferences for where to put things. I actually put all of my Downloads on to a USB or SD drive with subfolders for each browser. Every browser allows you to specify where to store its downloads and I like putting them on an external drive because I treat the downloads folders like temporary storage areas. But putting them in iCloud makes sense if you want to share them across all of your computers.

I cannot currently imagine how I could ever consume anything close to the 2TB iCloud storage I have. I don't really want to use iCloud for backups because of the way it works as shared synchronized storage. You can access all of your iCloud files from any machine, but you can also delete them from any machine. I do wish I could allocate a portion of iCloud storage for device-locked dedicated storage, e.g., my MacBook Air would have a dedicated storage area that it alone can access for things like backups. My other devices would either not be able to access it or only have read-only access, with user preference.

As you mentioned, using Optimized Storage in apps like Photos and Music can significantly reduce your local storage requirements. If you have high performance Internet access you'll probably not notice the difference. But storage in general can be treated in a hierarchical manner, so in your case of a 2013 MacBook Air you could install an external drive using Thunderbolt and share the drive across your network, or in the case of Music, share a music library via Family Sharing. I sometimes wonder why I don't make better use of Apple Music Family Sharing because it actually works very well, especially with Apple TV if you have one Mac setup to download all of your music to local storage. 

Same experience as you regarding OneDrive. However, iCloud Drive for Windows works exceptionally well in Windows 10/11 and with 2TB of iCloud storage I really don't need to spread things all over the place. But some amount of redundancy is okay.

watto_cobra