Apple tweaking how default browsers are selected in EU

Posted:
in iOS

Apple is responding to EU criticism about alternative browser choices by simplifying selection, and in addition it's adding more options over user control of other default apps.

Safari logo surrounded by twelve yellow stars, alongside icons for Messages, Photos, and Camera apps on a blue background.
As well as updating default browser choices, EU users will have more control over default apps such as Messages, Photos, and Camera

In response to the EU's Digital Markets Act (DMA), which also led to third-party app stores, Apple is increasing the options it gives users over default apps. Users in the region are already prompted to choose a default browser, although developers of alternative browsers still found reason to complain.

As before, the first time a user opens Safari on their iPhone or iPad, they will be shown a list of the most popular browsers in their region, and can select any of them. Also as before, the list will be presented in a random order, and will not favor Safari.

What's new is that as well as the title of the browser, Apple's list will show the app's subtitle from the App Store. Plus instead of having to tap to go into a browser listing and select it there, selection is now a tap on that first list.

However, the user will have to scroll through the whole list before they can make their selection.

Assuming that they do not choose Safari, once they have made their selection, Apple will download the new browser if it isn't already installed. Users will see the download progress right in the list of default browsers, and when installed, it will open.

Plus, if Safari is currently in either the Dock or the first page of the user's home screen, it will be automatically replaced by their new choice.

Safari users will be prompted again

Apple is also changing when users will get prompted to consider an alternative browser. As well as the first time they launch Safari on, say, their iPhone, users will be prompted again the first time they open it on their iPad.

If a user in the EU has already gone through the list and chosen Safari, then after the update that adds the new features, they will be prompted again.

Similarly, if they migrate from one iPhone or iPad to another. If Safari was the default on the original machine, then the next time the user opens it on the new device, they will be prompted once more.

Improving all default apps

"For users in the EU, iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will also include a new Default Apps section in Settings that lists defaults available to each user," says Apple in its updated developer documentation. "In future software updates, users will get new default settings for dialing phone numbers, sending messages, translating text, navigation, managing passwords, keyboards, and call spam filters."

The option to change the default translation and navigation apps will not be available until an update in 2025.

Apple has not said precisely when the rest of these features will be released, but it is to be in an iOS update later in 2024. And alongside more options for choosing default apps, there will also be the ability to delete more of the stock Apple ones.

Specifically, users in the EU will be able to entirely delete:

• App Store

• Camera

• Photos

• Safari

Should a user change their mind, all but one of these apps can be redownloaded from the App Store. The exception is the App Store itself, which will have to be reinstalled via Settings.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tobiantobian Posts: 155member
    Huge respect for Apple, that they have complied with this EU stupid requirement so generously. I’ll always stick with Safari anyway.
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 77member
    What a waste of time by the clueless EU. People realizing this thats why Vestager has been fired. 
    bloggerblogwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 18
    tobian said:
    Huge respect for Apple, that they have complied with this EU stupid requirement so generously. I’ll always stick with Safari anyway.
    Lol😂
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 18
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,497member
    This is total nonsense, why does Apple need to promote competing products to this ludicrous extent. I don't remember any other product or OS that has to bend backwards this far. What's next, the camera app, photos app, what kind of OS will we end up with? Some users, myself included, prefer the convenience of plug and play, and not having to go through a long tedious steps for onboarding. Imagine your grandma having to pick a browser!
    appleinsideruserwilliamlondondanox
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Maybe Apple should just let people install Android and be done with it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,650member
    This is total nonsense, why does Apple need to promote competing products to this ludicrous extent. I don't remember any other product or OS that has to bend backwards this far. 
    You've been on here since 2008. 
    It's hard to believe that you completely missed the whole Microsoft/Netscape thing. It was kind of big. 

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_13_196
    nubusIreneWwilliamlondonbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,594member
    Wonder what the ouroboros of choice is going to look like for browsers? A list of browser apps will be made available, except for Google Chrome? Should Chrome be made available on the App/Play Store? Should MS Edge be available? If someone buys a Chromebook, uh, not sure as Chrome seems integral to that OS. On Android, no Chrome as an item on the initial list of browser apps? Users have to choose a builtin, but hidden set of application stores, which will have a set of browsers available?

Same thing with Whatsapp, Messenger? Should that even be on the list for messaging apps? What about MS Office?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,953member
    This is total nonsense, why does Apple need to promote competing products to this ludicrous extent. I don't remember any other product or OS that has to bend backwards this far. What's next, the camera app, photos app, what kind of OS will we end up with? Some users, myself included, prefer the convenience of plug and play, and not having to go through a long tedious steps for onboarding. Imagine your grandma having to pick a browser!
    If a grandma can use a smartphone, she can pick a browser from a list and will probably find she can recognise more than one.

It's not important for her to understand exactly why the selection box is required but it is important that the choice itself is presented.

Apple shouldn't be choosing for anyone. Neither should Google, Huawei, Samsung et al but being a gatekeeper brings more requirements. 

With a little luck AI assistants will be implemented eventually for helping out with explaining what certain dialogs mean and in a conversational manner. That would be a perfect fit for some groups. 

Like having someone hand-hold people through things like setup but without the bias of a company employee. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,642member
    This sounds eerily close to how Microsoft handles various defaults in Windows 10/11.

The one thing I do wonder about is who is the EU referring to when they mention "users?" It sounds like they believe all users are the same and make choices in exactly the same manner with the same driving motivations. The EU must have created their own persona of what a "user" by their self-defined persona and applied it globally with a massively wide brush that fits their own pattern regardless of the real people involved. I am not going to pretend that I can define a better "global definition of all users" but I do think I can see at least three (3) categories of users when it comes to browser selection:

1) Users who don't care. These users who are going to use whatever browser is installed on the device they own. Bottom line, they don't care and are perfectly happy not caring and don't want to be bothered to make a choice. Nothing broken here - nothing needs fixing. I believe that this category comprises the vast majority of browser users. 

2) Users who do care, know what they want, and know how to make it happen. These users have a preference for which browser to use and know how to use the currently available mechanisms to make their favorite browser the default. I'd put myself in this category. I prefer Vilvaldi for general browsing, especially when I may open multiple tabs. I really like its built-in ad blocking and hierarchical Speed Dial functionality and the fact that it works on multiple platforms including Windows and syncs my settings on all platforms. If I'm concerned about tracking or privacy for whatever reason and don't want to worry about explicitly turning in ON, as required in most browsers, I'll use Safari with Private Relay. In any case, I know how to make my preferred browser the default browser on all platforms. It works for me, so don't mess with it. No fixing required.

3) Users who do care but are unwilling or unable to accept the current mechanisms, and any potential limitations, for changing their default browser. I can imagine there are some obscure browsers out there that don't work with Apple's current model for changing the default browser. I don't know of any, but It's definitely a possibility. Some fixing may be required.

My contention/opinion is that the EU is inserting themselves, under prompting and parochial influence from companies that build their own alternative browsers, to fabricate a threat scenario based on their own personal desires, so they can jump in and "save" the vast majority of browser users, i.e., those in the "don't care" category, from some imagined evil that those "don't care" users already "don't care" about. The EU's enforcement and remediation measures are basically telling the vast number of "don't care" users that they "must care" while providing no tangible reason why they should care. They were perfectly happy in their "don't care" world and now the EU is simply adding an additional layer of complexity to how they use their devices for reasons these users still don't care about. They never asked for this, but the EU is imposing its own desires and political control over the "don't care" masses in order to project their own worldview of how businesses should compete. They answer to no one, especially the vast majority of "don't care" users who still don't care and never will. 
    edited August 22 muthuk_vanalingamdanox
  • Reply 10 of 18
    spheric said:
    This is total nonsense, why does Apple need to promote competing products to this ludicrous extent. I don't remember any other product or OS that has to bend backwards this far. 
    It's hard to believe that you completely missed the whole Microsoft/Netscape thing. It was kind of big. 

I do, but Microsoft owned over 95% of the computer market and wanted IE to be the only browser in the market, including the Mac. Today the most popular browser by far is chrome. Very different dynamic 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    spheric said:

I do, but Microsoft owned over 95% of the computer market and wanted IE to be the only browser in the market, including the Mac. Today the most popular browser by far is chrome. Very different dynamic 
    IE had less than 35% global market share when the sentence was passed. 

• Reply 12 of 18
    nubusnubus Posts: 566member
    spheric said:
    Microsoft owned over 95% of the computer market and wanted IE to be the only browser in the market, including the Mac. Today the most popular browser by far is chrome. Very different dynamic 

Antitrust in EU isn't about "global market share". IE had 62% in the EU:
  • Reply 13 of 18
    croprcropr Posts: 1,139member
    spheric said:

You missed the point. Apple is considered as a gatekeeper for the iOS ecosystem.  And gatekeepers must provide by EU law a fair playing field for iOS app developers.  So this is about the rights of the app developers, not about the market share of the end users.

By the way, I think that in 2024 the market share of Safari on iOS is very similar to the market share of Internet Explorer on Windows back in 2008

nubuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 18
    croprcropr Posts: 1,139member
    ssfe11 said:
    What a waste of time by the clueless EU. People realizing this thats why Vestager has been fired. 

Is she? The  new EU commissioners for 2024-29 period still need to be decided
    edited August 23 williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ssfe11 said:
    If she steps down, it will be because her party did poorly in the Danish elections, and the ruling party will more likely nominate the next candidate. 

That's how representative democracy works. 

(…and no, the reason her party did badly at home has zilch to do with Vestager.) 

Some background for those actually interested: https://www.theregister.com/2024/08/20/eu_competition_cop_depart/

Oh, also, she did come under fire last year for hiring an American economist as chief competition economist, one of her team's top jobs. 
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/18/eu-vestager-is-under-fire-for-hiring-an-american-citizen.html
    muthuk_vanalingamchasm
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,642member
    cropr said:
    spheric said:

You missed the point. Apple is considered as a gatekeeper for the iOS ecosystem.  And gatekeepers must provide by EU law a fair playing field for iOS app developers.  So this is about the rights of the app developers, not about the market share of the end users.

By the way, I think that in 2024 the market share of Safari on iOS is very similar to the market share of Internet Explorer on Windows back in 2008

The term “gatekeeper” was invented by the EU to justify its heavy handed process of making certain manufacturers bend to the EU’s will. 

The iPhone is a branded version of a general class of products, I.e., smartphones. When someone buys an iPhone they are buying a complete ready-to-use product. This is no different than buying a Ford or an Audi. You expect it to be fully functional at the time of purchase. 

Should Ford, Honda, Audi, and all other brand automobile makers be required to force their customers to choose which air conditioning, infotainment, and upholstery options, etc., to install in their new car, including ones from third party vendors? 

Car buyers are always able to install third party components after the fact or as an exception at the time of purchase, but I don’t think any auto maker would put up with having to ask buyers whether they want to replace a built-in part that’s part if the complete product with a third party part. It makes no sense from a product buying perspective, especially when you’re a manufacturer competing against other manufacturers selling their own branded products into the same product category. 

Trying to frame a rationale based on a fabricated set of rules imposed by those who don’t have to follow any rules, even rules they’ve created themselves with carefully crafted exceptions doesn’t pass the sniff test. They could just as easily declared every automaker, machine builder, medical equipment, etc., to be a “gatekeeper” over their own brand products. They probably know that the major players in those markets would tell them where to stick those rules. But they know that Apple will crumble like a stale cookie with the very slightest of threats. 

So it’s not a case of Apple being a victim here because Apple set itself up by trying to be considerate of low resourced third party developers, e.g., unburdening them from the difficult and very expensive tasks associated with gaining access to a huge market, managing delivery on a global scale, managing commerce on a global scale across currencies, managing updates, etc.

By being proactive rather than protective Apple lost control of their own ecosystem. The third party developers are now able to dictate their own terms with the help of heavy handed regulators. As long as Apple continues to pull in revenue without totally selling out they will obviously play along until they have nothing left to protect. 
    thtwilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,594member
    cropr said:
    spheric said:

Wikipedia plot with some statistics from StatCounter:

Only goes back to 2008. This is for all platforms: mobile, desktop, et al. Internet Explorer was in the 85% to 95% range of browser share from about 2002 to 2005 or so, obviously eating up all of Netscape's share. Don't know the difference between Chrome and Android with these StatCounter numbers.

Firefox's peak browser share was about 30% as you can see in the chart from about 2007 to 2010. What happened in the aughts and why did Internet Explorer usage decline? It had nothing to do with regulation. I 100% attribute IE's usage decline to security, virus, malware, etc, issues that users experienced from the 2000 to 2005. For those not old enough, web browsing on Windows with Internet Explorer was a fucking shitshow, causing users and IT teams to do wipe and reloads of their windows systems multiple times a year. The thing that Microsoft thought would lock up the market for them, to keep the market on MS platforms and code: embedding ActiveX into IE, ended up being the thing that killed Internet Explorer. Giving the world an open and direct line to do anything they wanted on Windows through an IE plug-in was a bad idea.

The browser ballet, as proposed by MS, started in 2009. It took 2 to 3 years for the EC to accept a browser ballet design from MS, and it was formalized in 2012, where IE share declined to 30 to 35%. The regulation did nothing. Chrome's usage share rise was caused by something entirely unrelated to regulation, Google's service tie-in's and web-browser ad tie-ins with the Chrome browser. Just look at that Chrome line. Wow.

The EC did diddly squat and if you were conspiratorial, you'd think they just investigated MS for the fines. They mucked about investigating MS for like 5 years on Windows Media Player with Windows. WMP! That really was a head scratcher. You could argue the only reason the investigation expanded to IE was done at the behest of Opera with the browser investigation being so late in the game and IE usage clearly declining. In 2009, the browser race was over. Google won, even with 5% Chrome share at the time, as even back then, they dominated that which makes the Web go: ads and related data.

Not sure why the EC wants to muck around with Safari on iOS. It only means Chrome's share will rise further. iOS share is only 30% of EU, and if StatCounter is right with Safari at 20% worldwide, that means Safari is about 50 to 70% of usage on iOS, with the remainder being Mac and iPad Safari. An alternative web browser on iOS means squat if all the web sites in the EU are designed for Chrome, with Chrome at 65% share.

One way to level the playing field is to make it illegal for for-profit companies to give away software for free and to force websites to use web standards. There needs to be compliance to a web standard before a web site can open. Those web standards are controlled by a web standards working body, not Google. Google doesn't get a rep on the body. No new APIs can be used unless that are ratified by the standards body. 
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 18
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,497member
    spheric said:
    spheric said:

cropr said:
    spheric said:

Microsoft made IE as part of the Windows, your file browser was also your web browser in Windows ME. Taking away any purpose or option for installing an alternative browser. Also the lawsuit ended up being a slap on the wrist for MS, they continued to monopolize the OS market until Chrome hit the market.

Microsoft was initially sued over unfair monopolistic behavior, they charged a "tax" to computer manufacturers who sold Windows machines and forced them to pay for a license no matter what OS was installed on a machine. So if they wanted to sell a UNIX server they would have to pay for a Windows NT server license.