How to use a VPN to access geo-restricted content and social media

Posted:
in iPhone

Most video content and some services are geolocked to a state or country. Here's how you can get around some of those restrictions, using one of the best VPN for iPhone apps.

iPhone screen displaying a VPN app with a list of server locations, currently connected to France with options to disconnect or pause.
Select a country from your VPN app and you'll be able to access content there.

Entertainment and social media tools are often geo-restricted, only accessible to those in a specific country or region. However, you can use a VPN app on your iPhone to easily access geo-restricted content by connecting to a VPN server in the country where you want to access content or social media apps.

Why content is locked

Most location-restricted content is hidden because of broadcast and streaming rights. When Netflix in France wants to add a movie to its offerings, it has to negotiate with the movie's distributors in France.

Likewise, when Eurosport wants to broadcast the Tour de France, it has to negotiate with the Tour organizers in France. The same organizers are making other deals in other countries.

In each of these cases, the international versions of streaming channels are buying local rights to show the content because their customers are local. There's no reason for Netflix in France to pay for someone in the U.S. to watch a movie.

Sometimes, entertainment rights expire after a contract ends. Until 2022, Netflix hosted several Marvel shows. Those rights reverted to Disney and are now only available on Disney+. If you live somewhere that doesn't have Disney+, those shows are out of reach.

Countries restrict access to social media for various reasons. China, North Korea, and Russia have banned Twitter at various times over the years to prevent the spread of information they consider to be anti-government. The U.S. has been debating blocking TikTok as it may be spying on users.

In all of these cases, a VPN can circumvent these geography-based restrictions, giving users access to worldwide content and social media.

How to access geo restricted content

Nearly all VPN providers have VPN servers in multiple countries. When you connect to a server in another location, you appear to be a local user in that country.

Smartphone displaying a VPN app's region selection list with flags, country names, response times, and a favorite icon beside each entry.
Simply pick a server in a location where you'd like to view content.

VPN apps all have a list of international servers. In some apps, the list of countries is always visible, and in others you may need to tap to open up this list. Simply pick a server in the country that hosts the content you want to see, connect to it, and then visit that provider's website.

You may still need to pay for a subscription on these international versions of popular sites, but you won't be locked out of the content because you're sitting on a couch 5000 miles away.

With our guides, you can learn how to turn on and how to turn off a VPN connection on your iPhone.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 284member
    Except devices that have GPS on board, use that for tracking location, regardless of the VPN location.  The only device you can get away with that might be a Mac. But even they track location by nearby WiFi networks, even if you aren’t actually using that network for access (that’s how a Mac magically knows what time zone you are in)

Since the article included a graphic of a phone, I can assume using this trick on a phone was your intent.  Unfortunately it will be largely unsuccessful. Most of the interesting apps will fail if you turn off location services. 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I find that it’s not as simple as the article suggests. I use a VPN always, but in my own country, accessing Prime or Netflix is problematic. On a regular basis I am kicked off Prime or Netflix because I have a VPN operating. I am unable to access until I turn the VPN off. I haven’t researched why this is and I have never stumbled on how to fix it. This article has not offered any insight either. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I find that it’s not as simple as the article suggests. I use a VPN always, but in my own country, accessing Prime or Netflix is problematic. On a regular basis I am kicked off Prime or Netflix because I have a VPN operating. I am unable to access until I turn the VPN off. I haven’t researched why this is and I have never stumbled on how to fix it. This article has not offered any insight either. 
    The global public IP address of popular VPNs are well know and tracked, which enables Prime or Netflix to block their content from anyone using VPN service. 
    kdupuis77
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dcgoo said:
    Except devices that have GPS on board, use that for tracking location, regardless of the VPN location.  The only device you can get away with that might be a Mac. But even they track location by nearby WiFi networks, even if you aren’t actually using that network for access (that’s how a Mac magically knows what time zone you are in)

Since the article included a graphic of a phone, I can assume using this trick on a phone was your intent.  Unfortunately it will be largely unsuccessful. Most of the interesting apps will fail if you turn off location services. 
    GPS is accessed through Apple "Location Services". Even that service is on, iOS will not handover your location unless you enable it on a per app basis. You can also turn off their ability to see across your local network. As I mentioned... The global public IP address of popular VPNs are well know and tracked, which enables Prime or Netflix to block their content from anyone using VPN service. 

"Location Services allows Apple and third-party apps and websites to gather and use information based on the current location of your iPhone or Apple Watch to provide a variety of location-based services. For example, an app might use your location data and location search query to help you find nearby coffee shops or theaters, or your device may set its time zone automatically based on your current location.

To use features such as these, you must enable Location Services on your iPhone and give your permission to each app or website before it can receive location data from Location Services."

SETTINGS > PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES (see list of apps requesting location data)

SETTINGS > PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCAL NETWORK  (see list of apps requesting location data)

https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/data/en/location-services/

• Reply 5 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,547member
    dcgoo said:

GPS is accessed through Apple "Location Services". Even that service is on, iOS will not handover your location unless you enable it on a per app basis. You can also turn off their ability to see across your local network. As I mentioned... The global public IP address of popular VPNs are well know and tracked, which enables Prime or Netflix to block their content from anyone using VPN service. 

"Location Services allows Apple and third-party apps and websites to gather and use information based on the current location of your iPhone or Apple Watch to provide a variety of location-based services. For example, an app might use your location data and location search query to help you find nearby coffee shops or theaters, or your device may set its time zone automatically based on your current location.

To use features such as these, you must enable Location Services on your iPhone and give your permission to each app or website before it can receive location data from Location Services."

SETTINGS > PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES (see list of apps requesting location data)

SETTINGS > PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCAL NETWORK  (see list of apps requesting location data)

I believe I've read that Apple can uniquely identify your location no matter what masking/VPN service you might use? Of course if you turn off all location services, geo-blocking isn't needed since you aren't going to be streaming anything. :)
    edited August 24
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    dcgoo said:

I believe I've read that Apple can uniquely identify your location no matter what masking/VPN service you might use? Of course if you turn off all location services, geo-blocking isn't needed since you aren't going to be streaming anything. :)
    Yes, Apple will have it but your location or local network information (device discovery like WiFi) is not be passed on to 3rd party apps unless you approve it on a per app basis: Netflix, Amazon, etc . You can also disable Safari from passing your location to any website you visit.

Also, unlike Google, Apple does not sell user data. That's Google's business model which built around so called FREE apps and services. Why else would they be FREE?

Add...

SETTINGS > PRIVACY & SECURITY > LOCATION SERVICES > SAFARI WEBSITES  (see list of apps requesting location data)
    TS007
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    dcgoo said:

Yes, Apple will have it but your location or local network information (device discovery like WiFi) is not be passed on to 3rd party apps unless you approve it on a per app basis: Netflix, Amazon, etc . You can also disable Safari from passing your location to any website you visit.

Also, unlike Google, Apple does not sell user data. 
    Ah, so this is one of your "Whadabout Google" moments. Hey, it happens here, it's OK.

-Like Apple, Google can see where their users are.
     -Like Apple, Google Android allows granular control of location, among other permissions, on a per-app basis. That's been in place since 2020, not new.
     -Like Apple, they don't sell your personal data to anyone else. Neither company ever has.

To get you started down the road of knowing better, here's references if you're the Android user:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6179507?hl=en
    https://support.google.com/android/answer/9431959?hl=en

And if you're the iOS user:
    https://support.apple.com/en-az/guide/iphone/iph251e92810/ios#

All in all, very comparable.

Does that make them the same? No, they are not. But they aren't as polar opposite as you would love to believe they are.
    edited August 25 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 13
    TS007TS007 Posts: 4member
    The only solution I have found is to Disable Precise location in the apps location services preference when using a VPN.

after doing that, I have ZERO problems with ANY streaming apps that I have/had any issues with. YouTubeTV is notorious. Hell, I can even watch any localized NFL games this way.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    dcgoo said:

Ah, so this is one of your "Whadabout Google" moments. Hey, it happens here, it's OK.

-Like Apple, Google Android allows granular control of location, among other permissions, on a per-app basis. That's been in place since 2020, not new.
     -Like Apple, they don't sell your personal data to anyone else. Neither company ever has.

To get you started down the road of knowing better, here's references if you're the Android user:

Does that make them the same? No, they are not. But they aren't as polar opposite as you would love to believe they are.
    My point in bringing up Google is if you're worried about sharing data with 3rd parties, it's not in Apple's business model unlike Google. Google by default attempts to collect and then sell your data. But while Apple does collect some data, far less than Google, it's only to provide you with their services, not to be sold. That's the difference. Google has been busted more than once for collecting data they said they were not collecting. Without your data to sell to advertisers, Google  doesn't have a viable business because you are Google's product; break off Google Ads from Google and the rest of the company makes almost no money. Google's products are FREE for a reason. They are not a charity.
    edited August 25
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    dcgoo said:

Google by default attempts to collect and then sell your data. 
    Except Google doesn't sell your personal data. Why are you so insistent that they do? Perhaps you don't care if what you write can be trusted as the truth, but you should. :neutral: 

Reading for comprehension isn't impossible; hard perhaps, but you can do it. I'll even get you started down the road to having some idea of what you're talking about before forming sentences that display your ignorance of the facts. 
    https://safety.google/privacy/ads-and-data/#:~:text=information to anyone.-,We never sell your personal,anyone, including for ads purposes.

On the other hand, If you're not interested in knowing the facts I'd suggest sticking to discussion of Apple specifics, with some confidence that you're probably right about them.
    edited August 25
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cmdawsonnccmdawsonnc Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    iPads without the SIM card / mobile data don’t have GPS and work great with VPN only. In my case using YouTube TV for live US TV in Europe. Works great on Apple TV, iPad and Mac using Nord VPN. 

The other issue is many apps like Spectrum TV won’t work at all via VPN. So it is a challenge to do something legal and that you paid for just while traveling! Very annoying but that’s life with international broadcasting rights laws. 

dcgoo said:

• Reply 12 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    The global public IP address of popular VPNs are well know and tracked, which enables Prime or Netflix to block their content from anyone using VPN service. 
    This - most streaming services learned the VPN trick long ago so blocking a set of known VPN addresses is a fairly trivial problem for them. I don’t know how many other geo-locked social media sites do this, but my guess is the ones who actually care have already done so. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    This is precisely the reason! Depending on your VPN, you can try shifting to a different server. I sometimes can make this work on sites that track VPN usage by scrolling the list that Nord provides as some servers are newer or maybe not yet cataloged by these providers. VPN worked just grin on my iPhone last week when I had to "move" countries again to keep my cut rate YouTube Premium going (from Israel now lol).