What to expect from Apple's September 9 iPhone 16 'Glowtime' event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,441member
    macxpress said:
    I can't see Apple releasing updates to the Mac lineup at this event. Unless there really isn't much to talk about with iPhone or Apple Watch. By the time they get through the new iPhone, Apple Watch, possibly reintroducing some AI features (or announcing ones they couldn't talk about at WWDC) this will be a full event, or at least long enough o where if they added on any Macs it would make the event too long. Typically we see a late September or early to mid October event for the Macs. 
    The only reason why new Macs could be announced is to position Apple Intelligence across the majority of the product suite with the M4 being the common thread.
    The event has been the Apple devices you always have with you. The ones that define your look. Given the title I can’t see it shifting from personal devices to AI. 

Would be surprised to see anything beyond iPhone, Watch and AirPods.
    dewmemacxpress
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Apple Intelligence is the only reason to buy. But is not available in the EU. I’ll skip this one. 
    nubuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 32
    DAalseth said:

Not sure about the Glowtime but I read that there’s a Debate on the 10th. Maybe they wanted to stay away from all the wakkoness from that. 

Gods know that I want to stay as far away from that garbage as possible.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 32
    dutchlord said:
    Apple Intelligence is the only reason to buy. But is not available in the EU. I’ll skip this one. 
    Not available yet. I thought Apple was working with the EU to make it happen.
    williamlondonAlex1NJFC_PA
  • Reply 25 of 32
    mpantone said:
    In-person?!? Awesome! Hopefully, it will be interesting to watch again.
    I'm afraid you have misunderstood this event.

The actual presentation will be the pre-recorded video as Apple has done since the pandemic. This will be projected in the Steve Jobs Theater and streamed worldwide (Apple TV, YouTube, etc.).

After the video is over, event guests will be given the opportunity to try the newly-announced products in-person in a demo zone outside the theater. Likely some Apple executives and PR types will be available to field questions from the attendees (mostly media). This portion of the event is not broadcasted.
    Aw, crapola. 
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    mpantone said:
    In-person?!? Awesome! Hopefully, it will be interesting to watch again.
    I'm afraid you have misunderstood this event.

The actual presentation will be the pre-recorded video as Apple has done since the pandemic. This will be projected in the Steve Jobs Theater and streamed worldwide (Apple TV, YouTube, etc.).

After the video is over, event guests will be given the opportunity to try the newly-announced products in-person in a demo zone outside the theater. Likely some Apple executives and PR types will be available to field questions from the attendees (mostly media). This portion of the event is not broadcasted.
    Aw, crapola. 
    Apple is more or less done with live presentations with rare minor exceptions that are very situationally specific.

All of their major announcements are now pre-recorded which better suits their "control freak" mentality: there is no chance of an embarrassing moment caused by balky demo hardware/software or poor audio caused by a poorly affixed lav mike. Everything goes smooth and by the numbers. Also the streaming video quality is better quality since they aren't compressing on the fly live.

Streaming live events is very commonplace in 2024. It wasn't the case back in 2007 when Steve announced the iPhone.

There should be no surprise about this.
    edited August 27 king editor the gratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 32
    mpantone said:

There should be no surprise about this.
    No surprise, just disappointment after hope was briefly and cruelly kindled before being summarily snuffed. I totally get the reasoning, but I miss the real-time live feedback, be it gasps and applause, or sometimes bemused muttering at something Apple execs obviously thought should be more positively received. The latter was especially fun when people yawned about something that turns out was super important but they were too much a pack of bumpkins to grok.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 28 of 32
    nubusnubus Posts: 568member
    dutchlord said:
    Apple can't even tell when AI will ship in Australia, Canada, Ireland, or UK. The SOS call feature from 2 years ago is now available in 17 countries (UN has 194 members). 10 of 27 EU member states. Not a single country in South America, Africa, or Asia is covered.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 32
    nubus said:
    dutchlord said:
    Apple can't even tell when AI will ship in Australia, Canada, Ireland, or UK. The SOS call feature from 2 years ago is now available in 17 countries (UN has 194 members). 10 of 27 EU member states. Not a single country in South America, Africa, or Asia is covered.
    Two different problems which require different approaches. Satellite is much harder as path for the messages and local laws needs to be considered. Where should those messages actually go? Can the local emergency services actually have the equipment to deal with the messages? Can they actually receive the messages? AI has to deal with the local laws and customs with many places not having restrictions on AI.
    Alex1Nmarthas694
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I am so here for the iPad mini! But I don’t expect it until October.
    I would be too, but I think I’ll hold off until OLED is in the picture (‘see’ what I did there?) 
    …I’ll show myself out. :)
  • Reply 31 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,600member
    dutchlord said:
    Not for me! Apple Intelligence is the last reason to buy for me.

I have an iPhone 12. I think that will be my last non-120 Hz device. I'm going to hold out for 2025 models, but I'm looking forward to 120 Hz, brighter display (wish it could be tandem OLED), 8 to 12 GB of RAM, 1 TB storage, TB/USB4, more premium materials. Wish flush back camera options were available.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 32
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 944member
    Should be fun, the new 16 pro max will be good to see, I’ll be interested in what iPads pros etc are available as well this fall.