Musicians to lose Finale notation app after 35 years

Posted:
in Mac Software
Mac and Windows notation app Finale has been used by musicians since Macs had nine-inch black and white screens, but now its developer is shutting it down and directing users to alternatives.

Cover of Finale music notation software with a teal background and sheet music in the background.
Finale music notation software

No app for writing music scores and notation would ever have become exactly mainstream. But Finale's passionate users have been talking about the app on the AppleInsider forums since
at least 2002.

"Today, Finale is no longer the future of the notation industry -- a reality after 35 years, and I want to be candid about this," writes Greg Dell'Era, president of the MakeMusic development company. "Instead of releasing new versions of Finale that would offer only marginal value to our users, we've made the decision to end its development."

"While Finale development has come to an end, we know your musical journey has not," continued Dell'Era. "I want to sincerely express our warm and deep gratitude to all of our loyal and passionate users."

That development of Finale began in the 1980s, and the first version came out in 1988. It required a Mac Plus, Macintosh SE, or Macintosh II, and preferred those Macs to have 1.5MB of RAM.

To put this in historical context, Finale soon gained a competitor whose name is better known today -- but whose original function is forgotten. Apple's current digital audio workstation app Logic Pro began as the third-party Notator Logic in 1990, and was a rival scoring app.

Dell'Era says that over four decades since then, the constant development of the app has resulted in millions of lines of code. Making more than incremental improvements has become exponentially harder.

As of now, then, neither Finale nor its related PrintMusic app can be bought. Existing users can continue using the app, and until August 25, 2025, will also be able to re-download it.

After that date, the software will not be downloadable even for existing users, nor will there be any support. It will not be possible to authorize Finale after installing it on a new computer.

MakeMusic and Dell'Era are recommending that users migrate to Finale's major rival, Dorico Pro. Normally Dorico Pro 5 retails for $579, but users of any version of Finale or PrintMusic can buy it for $149.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    They should open-source it instead.
    MisterKit9secondkox2watto_cobrapscooter63spheric
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dtoubdtoub Posts: 21member
    As a long-time Finale user since the early 90's with version 3.2, this is not at all surprising but very very disappointing and sad. It's been clear for at least a year that development had stagnated, no bugs were being fixed, tech support was being noncommittal, and much of the interface remains mired in the 90's.

That said, it remains indispensable to a composer like me, and I'm currently using it for a new work. I have a lot of plugins, some paid, some free, that have filled in the gaps that Finale should have had but never developed. Most things continue to work, and the ones that do not are not showstoppers.

I've looked at Dorico. It's not trivial to learn, especially when one has to unlearn how things are done in Finale. Also, having decades of Finale files, they can't easily be converted to MusicXML and imported into any other notation program flawlessly; it's good, but not foolproof. The free MuseScore is very much underpowered for many of us who use Finale or Dorico. So I'm in a conundrum; I have a recent MBA that should be able to keep running Finale (assuming no forthcoming macOS incompatibilities) for many years, and that is likely how I will continue to function. But it's pretty shabby for the company that owns Finale (MakeMusic) to leave us long-time and recent users alike in the lurch, with a sudden announcement and only a year before the app is no longer able to be authorized if a user has to transfer to a new computer. Surprised it is not being sold to another company to develop, or at least open-sourced. If the company merely unlocked it as of August, 2025, then if still compatible with macOS releases in the future, one could reasonably use Finale for many years, buggy or not, on a new Mac or Windows machine. That is somewhat irresponsible, at least in my mind.
    gregoriusmdewmeappleinsideruserwatto_cobrapscooter63spheric
  • Reply 3 of 13
    When Microsoft discontinued Money in 2009 they released a Sunset edition that did not require registration. I'm still running it years later although, thankfully, I no longer have to keep a Windows machine around since Parallels does a great job running Windows 11 on my Mac. I'm surprised that the developer of Finale hasn't considered a sunset version. He wouldn't even have to host the download, there are a number of third-party download sites such as cnet.com.

watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 4 of 13
    marktime said:
    When Microsoft discontinued Money in 2009 they released a Sunset edition that did not require registration. I'm still running it years later although, thankfully, I no longer have to keep a Windows machine around since Parallels does a great job running Windows 11 on my Mac. I'm surprised that the developer of Finale hasn't considered a sunset version. He wouldn't even have to host the download, there are a number of third-party download sites such as cnet.com.

I’m sure they considered having an unlocked version, but just decided against it. They really should unlock it or open-source it. Given their installed base, even if it had been dwindling, this is the equivalent of MS Word suddenly going away, in terms of the significance in the music community.  
    wonkothesane9secondkox2watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 5 of 13
    keithwkeithw Posts: 146member
    Dorico was built on the ground up for modern OSes and dev tools. The folks that originally wrote and supported Sibelius were let go when AVID bought Sibelius. Steinberg hired ALL of them and now they produce Dorico, which is VERY mature now in release 5.1.50.  It is also available for iPad.  While it will be painful to switch, I did so some years ago and I think it's a much better program. They update it regularly, and don't require paid updates very often.  Dot releases and bug fixes come out regularly!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I think it's been pretty clear for a while that Dorico was going to become the only game in town, at least for professionals - Musescore is surprisingly good for what it costs (nothing) and they have an excellent team, but for paid apps Sibelius has been on a downward trajectory ever since Avid fired the entire development team, and I understand that Finale also has lacked development recently.

Switching notation package is horrendous, and it takes a long time to get good at a new one, but I am pleased that Finale have at least negotiated a good cross-grade deal so that the pain is at least primarily one of time rather than financial also. The Dorico team at Steinberg are excellent, and anyone who switches to the application will find them accessible and responsive. I understand for the Finale users this is a tough pill, but at least you will find yourselves in good hands with Dorico.
    keithwwatto_cobraCuriouserandcuriousspheric
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,218member
    I never actually used it but bought a copy of Finale in '88 because of the novelty of having such software available. Sorry to see it go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    It’s an almost certainty it couldn’t be open sourced code bases this age tend to have all sorts of copyright issues and rights holders involved and it can be next to impossible track down all the right holders and to get the license changes needed. There are two relatively successful instances I know of which are Blender and Staroffice (which became open/libreoffice) I can’t think of any other successes.

For similar reasons it may be impossible to release a ‘sunset’ edition it’s very probable that they have third party licensed code or libraries which require periodic fees.

It’s very stupid but copyright law can make it prohibitively expensive or far too hard to allow software like Finale to continue vs forcing a hard end date.
    dtoubwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    For non-professional use, Musescore works really well and is free.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chelgrian said:
    It’s an almost certainty it couldn’t be open sourced code bases this age tend to have all sorts of copyright issues and rights holders involved and it can be next to impossible track down all the right holders and to get the license changes needed. There are two relatively successful instances I know of which are Blender and Staroffice (which became open/libreoffice) I can’t think of any other successes.

For similar reasons it may be impossible to release a ‘sunset’ edition it’s very probable that they have third party licensed code or libraries which require periodic fees.

It’s very stupid but copyright law can make it prohibitively expensive or far too hard to allow software like Finale to continue vs forcing a hard end date.
    Good points, and makes sense.

Been trying the free version of Dorico, and having followed it for some time, I am very much aware it is better software overall (Finale was underwhelming over the past few years in terms of updates) and has a very responsive team of developers and managers. But it is painfully hard for me to conform to its way of doing things. Just like I found Numbers not very useful for me personally compared with Excel, or various databases compared with Access. When you get to know a particular application, especially one as feature-packed as either Finale or Dorico, it's quite hard to make the switch. Compounding matters: many of us have a lot of recent and older Finale files, and sometimes we do need to go back to them and tweak them or use them to record audio; converting all of them to MusicXML is not the ideal solution. So I likely will try a virtual machine and use that for many years to come. Not perfect either, but at least it's future-proofed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 779member
    Nostalgia aside, it just isn’t that good anymore. Been using it the past few years and it is a pain. Take the discount and move on! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dtoub said:
    chelgrian said:

Good points, and makes sense.

Been trying the free version of Dorico, and having followed it for some time, I am very much aware it is better software overall (Finale was underwhelming over the past few years in terms of updates) and has a very responsive team of developers and managers. But it is painfully hard for me to conform to its way of doing things. Just like I found Numbers not very useful for me personally compared with Excel, or various databases compared with Access. When you get to know a particular application, especially one as feature-packed as either Finale or Dorico, it's quite hard to make the switch. Compounding matters: many of us have a lot of recent and older Finale files, and sometimes we do need to go back to them and tweak them or use them to record audio; converting all of them to MusicXML is not the ideal solution. So I likely will try a virtual machine and use that for many years to come. Not perfect either, but at least it's future-proofed.
    Let’s say for the sake of argument all the code had no such rights and financial entanglements: I’ve worked with such codebases of that size and almost certain decrepitude of technical debt and circular dependencies. Such snarled code is a horrendous task to build each time, and each time you make a minor change, it’s likely to require a full or nearly full build due to such dependencies. And if you thought it takes a long time to build it, it also takes an absolutely huge amount of time and energy to make sense of it, first to even properly define a proper set of tests to verify changes don’t break things, and second, to restructure it to both build faster and be more easily understood. On top of that, it’s a scenario where you need someone properly versed in the problem domain of music notation as well as software developers that know how to translate such snarled messes systematically over time into an orderly system, bit by bit, without breaking it along the way, and not being able to reasonably add new features in the process that may take several years. Yes, you *could* try to add new features as you try to restructure it, but that multiplies the complexity of both the new features and the restructuring.

As large and complex as such a thing is, it may actually be easier to document how it is meant to function, and rewrite from scratch: maybe. That’s not without risks, because the best set of tests one can come up with will almost certainly miss things users have counted on, breaking their files. New crashing/hanging bugs may also be introduced due to an imperfect understanding. And something of that complexity, even with a complete set of tests (you hope!) won’t be fully functional for a very long time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    At least spiritually, the father of Logic Pro goes back further than Notator Pro.  It goes back to an Atari ST sequence called Creator (1987) which as of V2 had an enhanced version called Notator (1988).  I used Notator on the Atari before buying a MacPlus and Cubase.   

The team that did Notator left C-Labs and formed Emagic which came out with Notator Logic (1993 I believe).  This as explained eventually got bought by Apple and became the source of the Logic app development path.