Low iPad mini stock could hint at impending upgrade with Apple Intelligence

Posted:
in iPad edited August 26

Internal Apple sources suggest iPad mini is "constrained," which hints that the aging device could finally see a refresh in the fall -- perhaps with Apple Intelligence support.

iPad mini 6 on a table with a blurred brick background
iPad mini 6

Apple revealed the redesigned iPad mini 6 in 2021 and it hasn't been touched since. The all-screen design made it quite the striking tablet at that small form factor, even with jelly scroll concerns.

The wait for the rumored iPad mini 7 could finally be over, as stock of the existing model has dwindled. According to a post from Mark Gurman, Apple sources describe the tablet as constrained, which makes him believe a possible refresh is coming.

Many Apple stores are low on stock of the iPad mini in several configs, while the device is considered "constrained" internally within Apple, I'm told. That *could* be a sign a new one is coming. It hasn't been updated since 2021. Wouldn't be surprised to see it updated for AI.

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

An iPad mini 7 would likely see few external upgrades as it already fits the modern design layout. The front-facing camera and Face ID sensor could move, but it isn't clear if Apple would make that move on the smaller tablet that's primarily used in the hand.

With Apple Pencil Pro and Apple Pencil with USB-C on the market (check prices), Apple will likely continue the slow phase-out of Apple Pencil 2. This further suggests the sensors may move to the landscape side.

Consumer demand for an improved display could be answered with ProMotion. A higher refresh rate may help reduce jelly scrolling, but physics won't let it be eliminated entirely.

If Apple does intend the iPad mini 7 to support Apple Intelligence, it will need the A17 Pro or an M-series processor. The current processor is an A15, so either one would provide a significant processing upgrade to the diminutive tablet.

The announcement window for such a product is unpredictable. Apple could reveal it during the Glowtime Apple Event on September 9, or it could have a later fall event or press release. Meanwhile, you can check out the latest iPad mini 6 prices for blowout deals.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    My money is burning a hole in my pocket. Ready to buy as soon as it’s announced. Would be really nice if it supported Stage Manager so I can stop thinking about getting an iPad Pro…
    darbus69
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Face ID and a M chip would be amazing on the Mini.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lukeilukei Posts: 385member
    Or it could be headed the way of the iPhone 13 Mini which would be disappointing but not surprising. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nubusnubus Posts: 567member
    lukei said:
    Or it could be headed the way of the iPhone 13 Mini which would be disappointing but not surprising. 
    Indeed - 7% of iPad sales in 2022... either create 3 sizes of Air or drop it. Running 4 colors, 2 storage sizes, and 2 network variants... 16 variants for US and a lot more around the world. Add covers and it really is too much for something Air could/should cover.
    lukeikdupuis77
  • Reply 5 of 7
    When I think about the reading and texting I do on my iPhone Pro Max, I think about the friction of tiny keyboard and my big fingers as well as needing to have larger type for reading consumption.  

I’d actually shell out for an iPad Pro Miini with an M4 for best performance for AI and perhaps an attached monitor. Use the new OLED screen, have it compatible with new Apple Pencil Pro, and a with a small keyboard case. Make it able to use the iPad Air 13” for an extra display with the capability of driving up to a 4K display. 

Yep, I’d pay for that.  It would be so portable and responsive on AI. And modular when used with a larger display from 13” up to 4K. 

Use some of the room inside for a camera as good as the iPhone Pro Max.  Its internal space is larger than a iPhone by perhaps as much as double. 

It may not be your cup of tea, but there may be enough power users out there that have the income to afford it.  Or work use-cases that pay for it

Maybe separate two of the cameras wider, at eye width distance, for top quality spatial videos for use on Vision Pro (next iteration). 

Is it possible it would be a much more popular item?  

Many people work on-the-go in jobs where the form factor would work better for portability and in some cases used handheld. For these workers, the device would pay for itself.  

Could you make use of this form factor and features?   
    If not, can you imagine people who work on-the-go needing this?   

Imagine the building trades, with the floor plans or drawings they need for their specialty.  Rough and finish carpenters could have materials and cut lists as well as the drawings they need.  Electricians and plumbers would have drawings they need. They could have a belt pouch to protect and carry the mini. An 11” iPad would not be portable enough.

It would be large enough and with a quality camera and lidar, combined in the near future with AI, that could be used for example, by an interior designer to take photos and annotate them with the pencil.  The AI could conceivably convert the improved Lidar and photos of the same surfaces within a sophisticated app to create drawings and apply existing surface maps generated from the corresponding photos.  The app could allow the designer to try different treatments and get client feedback immediately to take back to the office and create a more final proposal complete with realistic mockups. 

Landscape designers could do similar work on the go with a powerful full featured iPad including the best Apple cameras along with the latest in Lidar, along with AI assisted apps. They might use the 11” or 13” if it had the full featured camera-lidar combo—or use their iPhone to send images to an iPad including lidar data. 

Augmented reality would work for placing furniture and accessories for the interior designer and the landscape designer could place, shrubs, trees and other landscape features, superimposed with augmented reality—probably on the 11” or 13” form factor with upgraded cameras and lidar from today’s iPads.  

A premium iPad Mini might be the starting point for Apple to give the compute power along with the best cameras and lidar in the most portable form factor, with a level up from the iPhone in display area. 

• Reply 6 of 7
    lukeilukei Posts: 385member
    When I think about the reading and texting I do on my iPhone Pro Max, I think about the friction of tiny keyboard and my big fingers as well as needing to have larger type for reading consumption.  

I’d actually shell out for an iPad Pro Miini with an M4 for best performance for AI and perhaps an attached monitor. Use the new OLED screen, have it compatible with new Apple Pencil Pro, and a with a small keyboard case. Make it able to use the iPad Air 13” for an extra display with the capability of driving up to a 4K display. 

Yep, I’d pay for that.  It would be so portable and responsive on AI. And modular when used with a larger display from 13” up to 4K. 

Use some of the room inside for a camera as good as the iPhone Pro Max.  Its internal space is larger than a iPhone by perhaps as much as double. 

It may not be your cup of tea, but there may be enough power users out there that have the income to afford it.  Or work use-cases that pay for it

Maybe separate two of the cameras wider, at eye width distance, for top quality spatial videos for use on Vision Pro (next iteration). 

Is it possible it would be a much more popular item?  

Many people work on-the-go in jobs where the form factor would work better for portability and in some cases used handheld. For these workers, the device would pay for itself.  

Could you make use of this form factor and features?   
    If not, can you imagine people who work on-the-go needing this?   

Imagine the building trades, with the floor plans or drawings they need for their specialty.  Rough and finish carpenters could have materials and cut lists as well as the drawings they need.  Electricians and plumbers would have drawings they need. They could have a belt pouch to protect and carry the mini. An 11” iPad would not be portable enough.

It would be large enough and with a quality camera and lidar, combined in the near future with AI, that could be used for example, by an interior designer to take photos and annotate them with the pencil.  The AI could conceivably convert the improved Lidar and photos of the same surfaces within a sophisticated app to create drawings and apply existing surface maps generated from the corresponding photos.  The app could allow the designer to try different treatments and get client feedback immediately to take back to the office and create a more final proposal complete with realistic mockups. 

Landscape designers could do similar work on the go with a powerful full featured iPad including the best Apple cameras along with the latest in Lidar, along with AI assisted apps. They might use the 11” or 13” if it had the full featured camera-lidar combo—or use their iPhone to send images to an iPad including lidar data. 

Augmented reality would work for placing furniture and accessories for the interior designer and the landscape designer could place, shrubs, trees and other landscape features, superimposed with augmented reality—probably on the 11” or 13” form factor with upgraded cameras and lidar from today’s iPads.  

A premium iPad Mini might be the starting point for Apple to give the compute power along with the best cameras and lidar in the most portable form factor, with a level up from the iPhone in display area. 

Almost all of this is possible with the current iPad Mini yet it isn’t used this way. I have one, love it but it is a niche product

• Reply 7 of 7
    nubus said:
    lukei said:
    Indeed - 7% of iPad sales in 2022... either create 3 sizes of Air or drop it. Running 4 colors, 2 storage sizes, and 2 network variants... 16 variants for US and a lot more around the world. Add covers and it really is too much for something Air could/should cover.
    How freaking cool would it be if they released "mini-sized" variants of the Air AND Pro lines. Then you could have the 10th Gen base model (Midsize) and 3x choices of sizes for the Mid-line Air and Top-of-line Pro series. I've enjoyed several different versions of the iPad mini, including the current gen, and I am absolutely loving my 11" M4 iPad Pro's OLED display... But if hell ever froze over and I could get a "mini-sized" version I'd definitely move back down for the size. Especially if it looked that gorgeous and was that thin and light as the new M4 model I got.