AirPods Pro rumored to get better Digital ANC in next update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Apple's next generation of AirPods Pro is rumored to get a big boost with a new digital active noise cancellation system, which may improve on the existing offering.

White wireless earbuds and case on a wooden surface, with a black textured object and green leaves in the background.
AirPods Pro 2

Apple's special event on September 9 is likely to have a number of launches alongside the iPhone 16. One chief candidate for an update are the AirPods lines, and the AirPods Pro could get a few small upgrades.

According to serial leaker Kosutami in an X post on Tuesday, new AirPods Pro are on the way with an update to the active noise cancellation feature. It will have a "Digital ANC that [is] much better than [the] previous version," they wrote in the post.

It is unclear exactly what is meant by the digital ANC change, aside from it being an improvement. This likely refers to inbound processing hardware changes.

When asked when the earphone update will take place, they added it will be "soon," without any real extrapolation. This could mean anything from September's event to a much more distant launch time.

Kosutami is a very regular Apple leaker, with a decent track record on their claims. Previous hits include an image of USB-C on an iPhone before the introduction of the iPhone 15, as well as the end of Apple's FineWoven accessory production.

Rumors about Apple's AirPods Pro updates have previously discussed the possibility of a hearing aid mode, building upon existing features such as Conversation Boost and Listen Live. A new design and chip running the earphones has also been proposed.

While a fall launch is entirely possible, rumors have offered that a 2025 release may happen instead.

There have also been speculation that there could be bigger changes in 2026, by adding radar cameras to help adjust audio in real time while wearing the Apple Vision Pro.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    In my opinion, Apple should release an H3 chip on the Airpods Max 2, with improved range, Lossless audio support and better transparency and noise cancellation.

Them offer it at a later date. on the Airpods pro 3.

Make the debut on an expensive product first, and them people will consider the new Airpods Pro a steal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,028member
    It is hard to imagine ANC that is "much better" than the current AirPod Pro 2, since it is already mind-bogglingly good, especially for an earbud. In fact, I stopped traveling with my Airpods Max because I found that the ANC of the APP2 was just as good, even though the APM have the advantage of both active and passive noise cancellation. I'll be curious to hear (or not hear) Apple's latest advances in ANC. 
    badmonkwilliamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,519member
    I'd like an improvement to the microphone (or processing of sound from the microphone) for phone calls. 

I'm told that I sound much better when I use my the microphones in my Studio Display than when I use my AirPods. It's mostly fine for me to use the Studio Display, but sometimes I need to use the AirPods, and it would be nice if people could hear me better. 
    appleinsideruserentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    charlesn said:
    It is hard to imagine ANC that is "much better" than the current AirPod Pro 2, since it is already mind-bogglingly good, especially for an earbud. In fact, I stopped traveling with my Airpods Max because I found that the ANC of the APP2 was just as good, even though the APM have the advantage of both active and passive noise cancellation. I'll be curious to hear (or not hear) Apple's latest advances in ANC. 
    Yeah agree, I think that AirPod Pro V2 are amazing.  In my ear they sound better than my AirPods Max by a country mile and the ANC is great in noisy Miami.  The combination of iPhone, Apple Music and my AirPods Pro v2 are so good that if I was younger I would probably have never gotten addicted to collecting vinyl which is saying alot.
    paisleydiscowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    Time for everyone who gaslit me when I said I wanted way better ANC out of my AirPods Pro 2 to disappear into the ether once they announce something better, as always 

After all the reviews and gushing about it I was disappointed to find they let in most high notes, so things like my gym, lawnmower, vacuum, or snow thrower remain not just very loud but by removing mostly low pitches they often get even more shrill and annoying. And yes, I have passed the fit test, tried every tip (both silicon and idea wise), and tried the foam tips which only help very slightly at the expense of instrument separation. You lose the highest tones in your hearing first most often, so I wonder if the people gushing about its ANC performance just have degraded hearing, not in an insulting way but I think that's genuinely an explanation. 
    edited August 27 appleinsideruserwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 10
    charlesn said:

The only way it can get "much better" is to figure out how to do to what it does now, but with less impact to the battery so you get longer life. I had them on an airplane recently, and the N/S 5 hour flight, I think they started to run out of battery power when taxiing to the gate at my destination. So maybe squeak another hour or two out of it.

And yeah, they were mindbogglingly good. I could think clearly on an airplane over the whir of the engines and din of other people around me.
    edited August 27 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    badmonk said:The combination of iPhone, Apple Music and my AirPods Pro v2 are so good that if I was younger I would probably have never gotten addicted to collecting vinyl which is saying alot.
    Yes! same here. Apple Music Loseless and Airpod Pro v2 is a ridiculous combination. I never even care for the Airpod Max anymore and sold my Sennheiser wired headphones. I just wasn't enjoying the idea of cables anymore. Don't miss 'em.... what a time to be alive!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tipoo said:
    Time for everyone who gaslit me when I said I wanted way better ANC out of my AirPods Pro 2 to disappear into the ether once they announce something better, as always 

After all the reviews and gushing about it I was disappointed to find they let in most high notes, so things like my gym, lawnmower, vacuum, or snow thrower remain not just very loud but by removing mostly low pitches they often get even more shrill and annoying. And yes, I have passed the fit test, tried every tip (both silicon and idea wise), and tried the foam tips which only help very slightly at the expense of instrument separation. You lose the highest tones in your hearing first most often, so I wonder if the people gushing about its ANC performance just have degraded hearing, not in an insulting way but I think that's genuinely an explanation. 
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course. You hear things the way you hear them. It just defies the overwhelming majority of opinions from both consumers and review sites. It really is kind of hilarious that you then attempt to justify your own opinion by baselessly claiming that anyone who thinks APP2 ANC performance is great must be suffering with hearing loss. Thanks for a good laugh to start my day!
  • Reply 9 of 10

badmonk said:
    charlesn said:
    Yeah agree, I think that AirPod Pro V2 are amazing.  In my ear they sound better than my AirPods Max by a country mile and the ANC is great in noisy Miami.  The combination of iPhone, Apple Music and my AirPods Pro v2 are so good that if I was younger I would probably have never gotten addicted to collecting vinyl which is saying alot.
    I find the current resurgence in vinyl purchases pretty funny, except that it's one of the greatest scams ever in audio. The theory goes that analog vinyl sounds better than digital, and that's an opinion I can respect, even though I have a few asterisks attached to it. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's true. The funny/total scam part is that supposedly "analog" vinyl, mostly without exception, is now being pressed from digital master tapes. And any album recorded this century and somewhat earlier was almost certainly recorded digitally, too. So if you believe that something in music gets lost when it gets converted to ones and zeros, converting a digital recording or digital master tape back to analogue for a vinyl pressing doesn't magically restore whatever you believe was lost. It's gone forever because it was never there in the master tape. You are listening to digital. it's really no different from listening to a CD, where the ones and zeros on the CD are converted back to a fully analog signal that drives your speakers. Even "classic rock" albums originally recorded on analog tape, when released now on vinyl, are almost certainly being pressed from digital masters because the analog masters are either missing, worn out or too fragile to be used. Yes, there are specialty boutique companies claiming to press vinyl from "the original analog master tapes," which would give you a true analog listening experience. But Mobile Fidelity--arguably the most famous of those companies--was caught up in a scandal where that claim wasn't always true. 
    edited August 28
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Bring it on. As a daily user and lifelong music fan I find APP2 are pretty good overall but there’s room for improvement. Occasionally they provide a mind blowing experience but it heavily depends on the production and style of music as most tracks have a slightly clinical feel. I’m not sure if competing products are better at it, but APP2 struggle to provide that emotive punch and warmth that I experience with a quality audio system or high end cans like my Grado’s. Where APP2 are insanely good already is TV and movie viewing, so I can’t imagine much improvement there. All the techy features are appreciated and work really well. It’ll be interesting to see what comes next.
    edited August 28