Everything new in the third round of Apple Intelligence developer betas

Posted:
in iOS edited August 29

On Wednesday, Apple released the third developer betas of iOS 18.1, iPadOS 18.1, and macOS Sequoia 15.1. Here's everything you need to know about the updates and features they add.

Various articles displayed on a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone screen, showcasing content creation and editing features.
Apple has released its third round of developer betas for 2024, which include new Apple Intelligence features

Apple's latest round of developer betas introduces support for two key Apple Intelligence features -- a new Clean Up tool for the Photos app, and an option for notification summarization. Both of these features were officially previewed at WWDC in June but have only now been made available to beta testers.

It's worth pointing out, however, that both of these features -- notification summarization as well as the new Clean Up tool -- are only available on devices that support Apple Intelligence. This means that an iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, an iPad or Mac with an M1 or newer chip is required to use any AI-related features.

Remove objects from photos with the new Clean Up tool

The Clean Up feature, available within the Photos app, lets users remove unwanted objects from images through the use of Apple's on-device generative AI software. Users can tap, circle, or brush an unwanted object to make it disappear from a photo.

Apple's AI software can automatically detect potentially unwanted objects and highlight them. Tapping the undesired object will remove it from a photo.

Alternatively, it is also possible to circle or brush objects that are not automatically identified by Apple's generative AI. By selecting an object this way, it's possible to fully or partially remove it from an image.

Apple's AI software fills in the remaining area of the image, making it as though the undesired object was never even there. Even so, images altered with the feature are clearly labeled as edited with Clean Up for added convenience. It is also possible to undo any changes and revert the image to its initial, unaltered state.

AppleInsider first broke the news on Apple's Clean Up feature through an exclusive report, published more than a month before the feature was announced at WWDC.

Apple Intelligence will summarize notifications for you

Also present in Apple's third assortment of developer betas is an all-new notification summarization feature. While summarization was available for the default Mail and Messages apps in earlier versions of iOS 18.1 beta, the company's latest release expands support to even more applications.

Smartphone screen showing an email about 212 Opal Street's prime location, quiet atmosphere, ocean-view backyard, but requiring significant repairs and garden restoration. Sent by Markus Berget.
Earlier versions of iOS 18.1 only supported summarization in the Mail and Messages apps

Apple has added a new setup screen that gives users the option to decide which apps should use notification summarization, if any. The feature can be enabled for system apps as well as third-party applications.

Users can also update their preferences after the fact by navigating to System Settings > Notifications > Summarize Previews. Here, users can enable or disable the feature and select which apps will use notification summarization.

The new feature leverages Apple's on-device AI and uses it to create summaries of notifications. Notifications and groups of notifications will be boiled down to essential data points, meaning that users will have easy access to key notification details.

Through Apple Intelligence, users will be able to receive a synopsis of their recent messages and conversations, emails, news articles, and much more. These summaries are displayed on the Lock Screen.

As with the Clean Up tool, AppleInsider first detailed Apple's summarization features in the months ahead of release. This was done through our reports on Project Blackpearl, Project GreyMatter, and the Ajax LLM.

The third developer beta of macOS Sequoia lets you install App Store apps directly to an external drive

While the Clean Up tool and notification summarization are available across all of Apple's platforms, macOS Sequoia has received a system-specific upgrade.

The third developer beta of macOS Sequoia 15.1, the App Store, will let users install applications directly to an external drive. When this setting is enabled, macOS automatically installs App Store applications larger than a gigabyte onto an external drive, assuming one is plugged in.

As reported by 9to5mac, the setting only affects applications larger than a gigabyte. Apps with a smaller file size are installed directly onto the internal drive. This feature could prove particularly useful for owners of Mac computers with a lower storage capacity, such as 256GB.

macOS Sequoia also removes certain requirements related to app installation. On earlier versions of macOS, users needed to have free space that was equal to twice the size of an application. This is no longer the case starting with macOS Sequoia.

As a whole, macOS Sequoia brings with it a whole host of innovative features, from Safari Highlights to Math Notes in the Calculator app. macOS Sequoia, along with iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will be available to all users in the Fall of 2024, while Apple Intelligence features will be available through a later update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    What an annoying article. I came here to read and see what else is new in the beta that I may have missed, not for Marko to repeatedly try to claim “first” on reporting features from months ago.  
    VictorMortimerforgot username
  • Reply 2 of 16
    AI is no longer limited to the US, however EU and China are still not included. AI is still limited to English only. 
    Alex1Nforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,229member
    AI is no longer limited to the US, however EU and China are still not included. AI is still limited to English only. 

Both those regions are behind. That’s why they don’t want any American companies to do anything there in the software realm I don’t think either of them will catch up anytime soon that’s like expecting a usable competitive operating system usable by the public. No I don’t count Linux.

• Reply 4 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,519member
    install applications directly to an external drive.
    Welcome news, though it’s crazy that this has to be a “new” feature — I could easily install apps on an external SCSI drive on my Mac iisi thirty years ago. 

Would be nice if iCloud and other services that use the API could use an external drive as a local cache so I can have the files without taking up internal SSD space. That’s something I couldn’t easily do thirty years ago 

avon b7Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 16
    noraa1138noraa1138 Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    blastdoor said:
    install applications directly to an external drive.
    Welcome news, though it’s crazy that this has to be a “new” feature — I could easily install apps on an external SCSI drive on my Mac iisi thirty years ago. 

Would be nice if iCloud and other services that use the API could use an external drive as a local cache so I can have the files without taking up internal SSD space. That’s something I couldn’t easily do thirty years ago 

You've always been able to install an application to an external hard drive, this is specifically or Mac App Store apps. And even the, you could always download the app and then move it to an external hard drive.
    Alex1NForumPost
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Apple Intelligence is the tentpole feature but is not available on my device (iphone 14 pro max) nor in my region (EU). So, why should I upgrade at all? Total absence of compelling reason to upgrade…..
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 209member
    FYI, Clean Up in Photos is still available after I changed the iPad's Region an Language to France/French, this disabling Apple Intelligence.

It seems only the features which rely upon analysis of the user data, and therefore would present an unacceptable security risk if Apple had to make such analysis available to 3rd parties, are unavailable in the EU.

If that is correct, that is a small, but good, news.
    avon b7forgot username
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,554member
    jeromec said:
    FYI, Clean Up in Photos is still available after I changed the iPad's Region an Language to France/French, this disabling Apple Intelligence.

It seems only the features which rely upon analysis of the user data, and therefore would present an unacceptable security risk if Apple had to make such analysis available to 3rd parties, are unavailable in the EU.

If that is correct, that is a small, but good, news.
    Clean Up Photos is on on-device feature, much the same as Magic Eraser on Android. It doesn't matter what region you're in anymore once you've set it up, at least AFAICT.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Clean Up Photos is on on-device feature, much the same as Magic Eraser on Android. It doesn't matter what region you're in anymore once you've set it up, at least AFAICT.
    Exactly. But Apple said Apple Intelligence is not yet available in the EU, and Clean Up is presented as a part of Apple Intelligence. Which is why I made this post.
    forgot username
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jeromec said:
    gatorguy said:
    Exactly. But Apple said Apple Intelligence is not yet available in the EU, and Clean Up is presented as a part of Apple Intelligence. Which is why I made this post.
    Did you initially set it up with France as your region? I suspect it would fail to install if you had, but I don't know for certain. But once it installed you're fine moving between regions. 
    edited August 30
  • Reply 11 of 16
    2004: “Pictures or it didn’t happen.”
    2024: “Pictures and it still might not have happened.”
    forgot username
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Did you initially set it up with France as your region? I suspect it would fail to install if you had, but I don't know for certain. But once it installed you're fine moving between regions. 
    When I change the region or language, Apple Intelligence is disactivated and shows as such in the Settings app.
    But Clean Up is still available in Photos. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    FYI macOS 15.1 beta bricked the internet on my 2024 MacBook pro.
    Pandemonium ensued.
    all the recovery methods REQUIRE internet

Had to 'nuke and repave'
    Even with a day old backup, it was a day wasted

Betas on the iPhone 15 and ultra 2 watch went fine, minor glitches

I let my guard down. A lesson relearned.
    williamlondonForumPostforgot username
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jeromec said:
    gatorguy said:
    When I change the region or language, Apple Intelligence is disactivated and shows as such in the Settings app.
    But Clean Up is still available in Photos. 
    Yeah, I get that, but you set it up and downloaded the needed software as a US region user, so of course it would work. It is now resident on your phone. I strongly suspect had you been in France and attempted to initialize Clean Up, Apple would not have allowed the software to download, and it would have failed. 
    edited August 30
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah, I get that, but you set it up and downloaded the needed software as a US region user, so of course it would work. It is now resident on your phone. I strongly suspect had you been in France and attempted to initialize Clean Up, Apple would not have allowed the software to download, and it would have failed. 
    I am in France, and was in France when I downloaded iPadOS 18.1 betas, not using a VPN, I have a French iCloud account, but a US account for purchases and multimedia content.
    The iPad Pro M1 I use was in French/France when I downloaded the betas. I switched to English/US only to activate Apple Intelligence - one issue is that Siri language now syncs across devices, and I like to have my (non 15 Pro) iPhone answer to requests formulated in French. So I switched it back to French/France, which turns off Apple Intelligence, but keeps "Clean Up" available in Photos.

• Reply 16 of 16
    jeromec said:
    gatorguy said:
    I am in France, and was in France when I downloaded iPadOS 18.1 betas, not using a VPN, I have a French iCloud account, but a US account for purchases and multimedia content.
    The iPad Pro M1 I use was in French/France when I downloaded the betas. I switched to English/US only to activate Apple Intelligence - one issue is that Siri language now syncs across devices, and I like to have my (non 15 Pro) iPhone answer to requests formulated in French. So I switched it back to French/France, which turns off Apple Intelligence, but keeps "Clean Up" available in Photos.

So it would not allow you to download the necessary components for Clean Up with region set to France.  That's what I assumed, and I suppose that's my point. There are obviously parts of "Apple Intelligence" that could be active anywhere in the world without Apple concerns over "analysis of the user data". But to do so the user must change their region to US?
    edited August 31