EU antitrust chief & Apple foe Margrethe Vestager out after 10 years

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    rob53 said:
    spheric said:

tlinn said:
    I will forever be grateful to the Europeans for forcing Apple to adopt USB-C. But the idea that Apple shouldn't be compensated for developing a platform that allows thousands of developers to make a living, or that the "fair" amount of compensation should be decided by developers seems ridiculous to me. Apple is not a charity, nor do they exist to be the world's R&D department. Much of what the Europeans are doing feels like protectionism.

That said, there are plenty of examples where Apple disadvantages its own customers and stifles innovation—like forcing all browsers to use the same engine. This is where government action should focus. 
    There is no evidence that EU forced Apple to go USB-C as Apple was already heading there. Yes they put it into law, but the market was already forcing Apple to go USB-C. Due to timing, EU got the credit. 
    These statements are so telling: you all think the EU is all about Apple. Fact is, the EU doesn’t give a SHIT about Apple: the USB-C standardisation was about getting EVERYBODY to unify their charging. Apple was already headed there because they aren’t stupid and knew it was coming (and they probably talk regularly with the Commission), having sat out the horrific micro-USB suggestion. 

The EU rightfully gets the credit for kicking everybody into supporting a single standard — they’d already been working with various manufacturers for a decade before Apple finally switched their iPhones, as well. 
    Why does everybody have to unify their charging standard? Europe has all kinds of electrical "standards" so why don't they adopt America's standard? There's no way America will adopt any non-American electrical standard. This is the EU having a double standard. They want to keep their standard and force others to adopt theirs even if it's inferior to others. How many electronic products are actually developed by the EU? Not anywhere near the number developed in the USA yet the EU continues to force American companies to do the stupid things the EU demands they do. 
    We really should adopt European electrical standards.  NOT UK 'standards' obviously, theirs are idiotic.  But the German plugs are quite nice, and it would be great to have 240V at every socket.  We should keep 60Hz, they should adopt it.

While we're at it, we need to ban red turn signals on cars like Europe did.
    spheric
  • Reply 22 of 36
    rob53 said:
    spheric said:

tlinn said:
    I will forever be grateful to the Europeans for forcing Apple to adopt USB-C. But the idea that Apple shouldn't be compensated for developing a platform that allows thousands of developers to make a living, or that the "fair" amount of compensation should be decided by developers seems ridiculous to me. Apple is not a charity, nor do they exist to be the world's R&D department. Much of what the Europeans are doing feels like protectionism.

That said, there are plenty of examples where Apple disadvantages its own customers and stifles innovation—like forcing all browsers to use the same engine. This is where government action should focus. 
    There is no evidence that EU forced Apple to go USB-C as Apple was already heading there. Yes they put it into law, but the market was already forcing Apple to go USB-C. Due to timing, EU got the credit. 
    These statements are so telling: you all think the EU is all about Apple. Fact is, the EU doesn’t give a SHIT about Apple: the USB-C standardisation was about getting EVERYBODY to unify their charging. Apple was already headed there because they aren’t stupid and knew it was coming (and they probably talk regularly with the Commission), having sat out the horrific micro-USB suggestion. 

The EU rightfully gets the credit for kicking everybody into supporting a single standard — they’d already been working with various manufacturers for a decade before Apple finally switched their iPhones, as well. 
    Why does everybody have to unify their charging standard? Europe has all kinds of electrical "standards" so why don't they adopt America's standard? There's no way America will adopt any non-American electrical standard. This is the EU having a double standard. They want to keep their standard and force others to adopt theirs even if it's inferior to others. How many electronic products are actually developed by the EU? Not anywhere near the number developed in the USA yet the EU continues to force American companies to do the stupid things the EU demands they do. 
    We really should adopt European electrical standards.  NOT UK 'standards' obviously, theirs are idiotic.  But the German plugs are quite nice, and it would be great to have 240V at every socket.  We should keep 60Hz, they should adopt it.

I think it is likely that to change the US to 240V (actually 230V) would require every building in the US to be re-wired as cable suitable for 110V will not be suitable for 230V. There are a host of other problems as well that would make it a very expensive change.

• Reply 23 of 36
    rob53 said:
    spheric said:

tlinn said:

I think it is likely that to change the US to 240V (actually 230V) would require every building in the US to be re-wired as cable suitable for 110V will not be suitable for 230V. There are a host of other problems as well that would make it a very expensive change.

You can run 240vAC with the cable, as the insulation is generally rated for 600v. The size of the cable is fine as the amperage would go down. The problem would be the color code I think. Then you have changing the outlets, and most of the devices. Computers and some devices already can do multi-voltage and hertz. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Good riddance to one of the most incompetent and destructive politicians in global history. 
  • Reply 25 of 36
    chelinchelin Posts: 115member
    Now the question is, will the next person be better? And beneficial for Apple
    That’s not whom democracies should optimize for. Cooperations should not be controlling governments. Governments should first and foremost care for their constituents. 
    SigsgaardCheeseFreezesphericronn
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Good riddance to one of the most incompetent and destructive politicians in global history. 
    Destructive in what sense? I’ve seen her do the exact opposite.
    muthuk_vanalingamsphericwilliamlondongatorguytiredskills
  • Reply 27 of 36
    rob53 said:
    spheric said:

tlinn said:

Because American electrical standards are dumb. You take out the plug and you can touch the two metallic pieces, whereas in Europe they are covered by plastic to avoid that. And American plugs can’t stay plugged properly because they are so badly shaped, the tiniest pull from the side moves the plug. Medieval tech. 
    sphericmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguyronn
  • Reply 28 of 36
    VictorMortimer said:
    NOT UK 'standards' obviously, theirs are idiotic.  

Please explain.

I’ve been to the US and all over Europe (and used their various different plugs) and just looking at my Apple World Travel adaptor kit proves to me that the  UK plugs are not only the safest but also the best quality, sturdiest and most sensible plugs in the world. 
    spherictiredskills
  • Reply 29 of 36
    US tech companies are easy targets for EU regulators as there are few European competitors. While many of the regulations are meant to benefit European consumers, the EU has clearly put their thumb on the scale to benefit Apple’s competitors - particularly Spotify.

Apple was wise to withhold Apple Intelligence from the EU as that technology seems particularly likely to run afoul of the EU philosophy of forcing American tech companies to operate mainly as a hosting platform for their competitors.

Apple’s technology fee is an effort to counter this but probably won’t survive the EU Courts. Perhaps Apple will shift costs to EU consumers by charging for services and (non-security) OS updates. If they do, Google will likely follow suit. I suppose Europe could regulate this by specifying exactly what tech companies can charge and for what but eventually there will be retaliation from the US.
    tht
  • Reply 30 of 36
    aderutter said:
    VictorMortimer said:
    NOT UK 'standards' obviously, theirs are idiotic.  

Please explain.

I’ve been to the US and all over Europe (and used their various different plugs) and just looking at my Apple World Travel adaptor kit proves to me that the  UK plugs are not only the safest but also the best quality, sturdiest and most sensible plugs in the world. 
    You’re kidding? I sometimes dread going to Ireland or UK because I have to use half the packing space for that particular adapter. I do like the North American plug, but I’m a bit biased. Objectivity I’d say the European standard is the most balanced, feature wise, of them all.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,659member
    US tech companies are easy targets for EU regulators as there are few European competitors. While many of the regulations are meant to benefit European consumers, the EU has clearly put their thumb on the scale to benefit Apple’s competitors - particularly Spotify.

Apple was wise to withhold Apple Intelligence from the EU as that technology seems particularly likely to run afoul of the EU philosophy of forcing American tech companies to operate mainly as a hosting platform for their competitors.
    This is the crux of it. But it applies to European companies as well: telecoms providers are required to provide network pass-through to smaller competitors, for example. 
  • Reply 32 of 36
    >Ireland disagreed with her stance then, and still does now.

Yeah no shit, they want that sweet money. You won't see Switzerland becoming transparant about banking either.

That aside, it's interesting reading American reactions to a real democracy with consumer protections and actual freedoms. 
    sphericronntiredskills
  • Reply 33 of 36
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,233member
    michelb76 said:

Yeah no shit, they want that sweet money. You won't see Switzerland becoming transparant about banking either.

That aside, it's interesting reading American reactions to a real democracy with consumer protections and actual freedoms. 
    Yeah, they have real democracy protection for Spotify and Epic.
    tht
  • Reply 34 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,659member
    danox said:
    michelb76 said:

Yeah, they have real democracy protection for Spotify and Epic.

They investigate and follow up on complaints. 

At least you’ve discredited the stupid "EU is just out to get American companies", since you’ve mentioned the American company Epic’s win. 
    gatorguytiredskills
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Yay, thanks for ensuring that cheap shit USB-C cords can fry my electronics. Maybe they should have focused on the product quality standards instead.

As for monopolists and anti-competitive practices there are so many real threats that are allowed to fly under the radar simply because they serve some powerful and influential constituency. Vertical, self-dealing monopolies are common — in the U.S. it’s rampant in healthcare, particularly elder care.

Take a little search for EssilorLuxottica, and you’ll see what I mean. A French eyewear behemoth that’s  caused an “EssilorLuxottica Tax” — markups approaching a 1000% in some cases. Bet you won’t hear the EU regulators bitching about a company that dominates far more than its technical 30% of the market. For the EU, that’s just good business.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    She has done more damage than good, as most politicians.