AirTags key to discovery of Houston's plastic recycling deception

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 1

One Houston resident was suspicious of the city's "all plastic accepted" recycling program, and used AirTags to discover where the plastic waste actually ended up.

Robotic arms inside a manufacturing machine work on assembling or disassembling electronic device components, with various mechanical parts and circuit boards visible.
Apple employs an advanced robot named Daisy to disassemble old iPhones.

Brandy Deason, who regularly recycles her packaging and other waste, began to have doubts about the city's plastic recycling program. Houston's program boasted of being able to accept even types of plastic that aren't normally considered recyclable.

Curious as to where the plastic was going, she bought a set of AirTags, and included them in various bags of her plastic recycling. Of the bags she tracked, nearly all of them went to a company called Wright Waste Management, located in nearby Harris County.

The company is not approved to store plastic waste, and has failed three fire inspections.

CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy referred to Deason as "the James Bond of plastic recycling" for her initiative. Aerial footage showed that the facility had large piles of plastic waste as tall as 10 feet high.

Deason said she thought that the company simply storing the unrecyclable plastic waste was "kind of strange." She later contacted Houston's Director of Solid Waste Management Mark Wilfalk, to ask about the discrepancy.

When shown the drone footage, Wilfalk admitted "it's not the most desirable-looking site." He promised Deason he'd investigate the problems that caused Wright Waste Management to fail the fire inspections.

Wilfalk later acknowledged that the city had collected some 250 tons of plastic since the end of 2022. He revealed that none of it had been recycled as of yet.

"We're gonna stockpile it for now," he admitted. "We're gonna see what happens."

By contrast, Apple has been an industry leader in reducing its use of plastic. It uses paper for packaging, and metal rather than plastic for its computer line.

It does use some plastic for products such as its AirPods earbuds. It has invested in robotics to help recycle old Apple products.

Houston, as it turns out, is waiting on a promised sorting facility to open, where the stored recycling will be sorted and treated. The company behind the sorting facility, Cyclix, says it has developed a method to create recyclable pellets out of the plastic waste.

However, only a fraction of these pellets can be made into new plastic. Most will be melted and turned into fuel that is burned, adding to carbon emissions.

California Attorney General Rob Bonta has been investigating Cyclix owner and plastic manufacturer ExxonMobil's claims regarding plastic recycling in that state. He has characterized Cyclix's claims of plastic recycling are largely fictional.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Establish the subject with a first and last name before just mentioning them by their last name to open the article. Just saying. It helps the readers follow the story easier. 
    unbeliever2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Establish the subject with a first and last name before just mentioning them by their last name to open the article. Just saying. It helps the readers follow the story easier. 
    Worse the hyperlink to the KHOU website is broken (404).

But it took me less than five seconds to identify the person's full name as Brandy Deason.

Sadly true journalism is a very rare anomaly on the Internet in 2024. Anyhow thanks for still caring. Not many of us left...
    freeassociate2unbeliever2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Stockpiling the plastic and saving it for when recycling technology catches up isn't a bad idea. Better than simply throwing it out or burning it or whatever.
    ForumPostwatto_cobragatorguychasm
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,218member
    Agreed. My first thought upon encountering the name was, "What (or who) is a Deason?" Being the first word of the sentence and sentences starting with a capital letter, it wasn't clear if "Deason" is some kind of thing I'm unfamiliar with or maybe some company's or someone's name.
    Her first name is not provided in the article.
    Not a big deal, but it would indeed help the reader.
    edited August 31 unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Stockpiling is another way of saying the city dump.
    Alex_VForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    This piece is a shoddy partial recitation of a news report from a Houston TV station: https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/houston-recycling-tracking-device-plastic/285-0d6899cd-48ad-4115-92a8-ca18a4c51648

The original report isn't cited, as would be normal journalism practice, but a broken link to the KHOU is included in the article. The shoddiness is revealed in how Ms. Deason is referred to in the article.

unbeliever2ForumPost
  • Reply 7 of 18
    mpantone said:

But it took me less than five seconds to identify the person's full name as Brandy Deason.

Sadly true journalism is a very rare anomaly on the Internet in 2024. Anyhow thanks for still caring. Not many of us left...
    Thanks for doing the detective work here. I agree that journalism is going down the crapper these days. I regularly criticize AppleInsider for focusing on quantity over quality, and for never correcting editorial issues that the forum users point out. But at the same time, this site is free for all readers and not something we pay a subscription for. So at least we're still getting our money's worth.
    unbeliever2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Might be better a subscriber site. Can’t imagine what it’s like to keep a site like this afloat.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    As my good friend Joker tells us, “everything burns.”
  • Reply 10 of 18
    So it is supposedly 'better' do have a program, that collects plastic separately, transport it, store it, treat it with some new thingamagic and then burn the vast majority of it, then just burn it with all the other trash!? Better for the economy maybe (it generates a more work/jobs) but for the environment definitely not.
    12Strangers
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Nobody cares what Bonta thinks of an operation is another state out of his jurisdiction. Talk about idiotic. 

At least Houston is trying to do more and get more out of historically non-recyclable waste. 

Meanwhile, is any city in SoCal even TRYING to figure out how to get more waste recyclable? 

Sounds like hints is jealous someone else might take the lead. Petty. 

“James bond.” LOL

Brandy season is “recycling Karen.” 
    edited September 1 ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,489member
    cpsro said:
    Agreed. My first thought upon encountering the name was, "What (or who) is a Deason?" Being the first word of the sentence and sentences starting with a capital letter, it wasn't clear if "Deason" is some kind of thing I'm unfamiliar with or maybe some company's or someone's name.
    Her first name is not provided in the article.
    Not a big deal, but it would indeed help the reader.
    This appears to have since been corrected.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Nobody cares what Bonta thinks of an operation is another state out of his jurisdiction. Talk about idiotic. 

At least Houston is trying to do more and get more out of historically non-recyclable waste. 

Meanwhile, is any city in SoCal even TRYING to figure out how to get more waste recyclable? 

Sounds like hints is jealous someone else might take the lead. Petty. 

“James bond.” LOL

Brandy season is “recycling Karen.” 
    As usual, I am in awe of your ability to document your  own lack of comprehension.
    California Attorney General Rob Bonta has been investigating Cyclix owner and plastic manufacturer ExxonMobil's claims regarding plastic recycling in that state.

The "state" at end of the sentence is a reference to the state named previously in the sentence which is California. That is the same California where Bonta is the Attorney General. He is commenting on the same company and how it operates in  his own jurisdiction not how it operates in Texas. 

The irony of  you calling someone else "idiotic" is rich. 

chasm12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18

"more easily"

chasmcoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18

I recently started working as a custodian at a motorsport track, and it blows my mind how many recyclable drink containers are just tossed in the trash bin, even if there's a blue recycling bin right next to it. 

Where are people's conscience? Convenience over caring? 

We need to be better. Let's be better.
    avon b7watto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 16 of 18
    65026502 Posts: 381member

I recently started working as a custodian at a motorsport track, and it blows my mind how many recyclable drink containers are just tossed in the trash bin, even if there's a blue recycling bin right next to it. 

Where are people's conscience? Convenience over caring? 

We need to be better. Let's be better.
    Best place to put plastic is right in the trash can. I know it is hard to accept, but plastic does not get recycled, even if you put it in a recycling bin. As this article points out, it either sits in storage or gets shipped off to some 3rd world country, for a fee, who then dumps it in the ocean and keeps the money. China used to take it but now even they don't want it. It's nearly impossible to recycle it at the scale needed. I'd rather see it go in a landfill than the ocean.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,489member
    6502 said:

Best place to put plastic is right in the trash can. I know it is hard to accept, but plastic does not get recycled, even if you put it in a recycling bin.
    Sorry, I don't see where coolfactor said that the "recyclable drink containers" were plastic. I think you jumped to conclusions there (a bad habit of mine sometimes as well).

Most portable "drink containers" I see are made of glass or aluminum (bottles, cans) that are easily and highly recyclable. Not all drink containers are recyclable, of course -- waxed paper cups and some kinds of plastic bottles aren't. **IF** the containers coolfactor is talking about aren't plastic or waxed paper, then their comment is correct -- people should use the recycling bins rather than putting such material in the trash.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,229member
    Most cities across the country, are just dumping the plastic into a landfill, there is no recycling, other news departments across the country have used AirTags to see where the trash goes and it goes to a landfill. A modern day farce.