Upcoming M4-based Mac mini rumored to replace USB-A with more USB-C ports

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 1

The forthcoming M4 Mac mini redesign is expected to follow iMac's lead and ditch USB-A ports, in favor of an array of USB-C ports.

A silver Mac mini computer with an Apple logo next to a black power cable on a white surface.
The current Mac mini form factor may change dramatically in its M4 incarnation.

A new report from Bloomberg follows up on earlier claims of a major redesign of the Mac mini, taking cues from the larger Mac Studio but in a notably smaller form factor. The M4 and M4 Pro-based form factor will allegedly be not much larger than the current Apple TV hardware, but taller.

The unit will feature three of the USB-C ports on the back, with two USB-C ports accessible on the front of the machine, as with the Mac Studio. The redesign will also offer HDMI and Ethernet ports, along with a headphone jack.

The M4 version of the Mac mini will likely be available ahead of the M4 Pro version, and could be arriving as early as October. Rumors have suggested that Apple could also update its MacBook Pro and iMac lineup before the end of 2024, with refreshes of the MacBook Air, Mac Studio and Mac Pro arriving in 2025.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I'm happy to see they are ditching USB-A. I avoid USB-A ports and only buy USB-C / Thunderbolt devices and I use UBC-C / Thunderbolt  to connect directly to HMDI, DisplayPort, etc, since no hub or adapter is needed. A transition I started back in 2019.
    edited September 1 d_2watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I'm happy to see they are ditching USB-A. I avoid USB-A ports and only buy USB-C / Thunderbolt devices and I use UBC-C / Thunderbolt  to connect directly to HMDI, DisplayPort, etc, since no hub or adapter is needed. A transition I started back in 2019.
    Same here! Been strategically replacing them with USBC. This is also why I’m waiting for the new Apple keyboard that ditches lightning. I refuse to buy the current version just because of the port 😅

d_2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,951member
    I still use USB-A. I have a couple of devices that are still using the old port. Yes USB-C is the future and anything I buy going forward will be using C. But I’ve got backup drives, a mic, camera, and the adaptor for my Logitech mouse that need the old port. I’m not going to throw them away until I have to. 
    pulseimagesh2pAlex1Nzeus423baconstangargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    DAalseth said:
    I still use USB-A. I have a couple of devices that are still using the old port. Yes USB-C is the future and anything I buy going forward will be using C. But I’ve got backup drives, a mic, camera, and the adaptor for my Logitech mouse that need the old port. I’m not going to throw them away until I have to. 
    Or get some A-C adapters during the transition.  I bought a 4-pack and now only buy C cables. 
    stompyAlex1Nchasmwilliamlondonchiawatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 5 of 35
    edredr Posts: 14member
    Really really unfortunate if they remove <any> of the ports the mini currently has. There are still a bunch of items out there that are USB-A only (keyboard/controller dongles and various others, now you will need an ugly USB-C dongle to use them). The pro mini currently has 6 USB ports in the back, 4 USB-C/TB and 2 USB-A, the loss of even a single one of these is really really unfortunate. If they move to having only 3 USB-C ports in the back and 2 in front, this is barely better than just using a laptop. A MAJORITY of the POINT of the mini is to have significantly better connectivity than a laptop and a cleaner look with all the ports in the rear and not coming out of multiple sides of the device as you have with a laptop. Plus the change of form factor which almost nobody has asked for in order to help Apple have cheaper cargo shipping and the inconvenience of changing any mounts and brackets some users make use of.
    rezwitswilliamlondonbaconstang22july2013watto_cobracropr
  • Reply 6 of 35
    This is somewhat a “duh” article. What would be news is if the rumors said there would be usba ports. If the new mini is as mini as the rumors say, it would seem like there wouldn’t be room for a usba port. Anyways for those who crave the new mini but must have usba, the docks are inexpensive. 
    chasmwilliamlondonlibertyandfreewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,475member
    That is SO long overdue!

We don't need USB-A anymore. I don't buy anything that has USB-A. I always look for USB-C. If it uses USB-A, I don't buy it. It's simple. USB-C is designed to be future proof and will work for many devices for many many decades ahead, not like USA-A because of power delivery more so than data. A lot of devices don't require much power and USB-C is dynamic with power negotiations, ending the need for AC/AD adaptors. 

Also, with USB4, there is plenty of room for high bandwidth data in the future. It's likely that optical fibers will be used in addition to copper cable. I can easily imagine how they just add optical fibers between copper connectors. 

USB-C is incredibly user friendly. No more fiddling to orient. USB-C works every time you plug in. 

If you have old USB-A devices, they can easily be retrofitted with USB-C adaptor.
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 8 of 35
    The only thing I usually repetitively plug in are USB thumb drives and those are mostly still USB-A.
    williamlondonzeus423baconstang22july2013watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 136member
    edr said:
    Really really unfortunate if they remove <any> of the ports the mini currently has. There are still a bunch of items out there that are USB-A only (keyboard/controller dongles and various others, now you will need an ugly USB-C dongle to use them). 

I don't see what the problem is. One can bring over their legacy cruft by utilizing a small, inexpensive $2 adapter, allowing the rest of us to go boldly into the superior USB-C future without legacy ports holding us back. Amazon has these adapters, 3 for $5.99.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,645member
    There are plenty of inexpensive USB-C hubs out there that will give you quite a few USB-A and other ports. Nobody like dongles, but on a desktop computer they are more tolerable, especially if the form factor works well with the Mac mini's aesthetic, like this one: https://satechi.net/products/type-c-aluminum-stand-hub-for-mac-mini.

Every dog has his day, but the USB-A's days are soon to be over for good and we will all have to adopt a new dog.
    Alex1Nchasmmuthuk_vanalingamargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    If Apple follows the same methodology they did with the iMac, the M4 Mini will have two C ports and two C/Thunderbolt ports. If this rumor is true that the M4 Pro Mini will only add one more C/Thunderbolt port, then that’s a loss of a port. Hopefully something has been lost in the rumor mill.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    No need for throw away perfectly good USB-A peripherals. Just use an external USB hub that provides USB-A ports and/or buy some adapters/pigtails. The latter live in my travel kit. It's not that big of a deal in 2024.

One thing I discovered about 12 years ago is that some external USB hubs have one or two power-only ports (no data transfer) which is really, really convenient. If those power-only ports have power all the time (even if the computer is turned off) even better. Yes, I could charge the devices with standalone adapters but sometimes it's really convenient to just have the device on the desk next to my Mac (where the hub is) and see when the device is fully charged.

Another I have a hunch that Apple will tie the number of USB ports on the new Mac mini to the type of SoC. Maybe 2 (or 4) ports for the vanilla M4 and 4 (or 6 ports) for the M4 Pro model.
    edited September 1 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    stompystompy Posts: 410member
    edr said:
    Really really unfortunate if they remove <any> of the ports the mini currently has. There are still a bunch of items out there that are USB-A only (keyboard/controller dongles and various others, now you will need an ugly USB-C dongle to use them). The pro mini currently has 6 USB ports in the back, 4 USB-C/TB and 2 USB-A, the loss of even a single one of these is really really unfortunate. If they move to having only 3 USB-C ports in the back and 2 in front, this is barely better than just using a laptop. 
    My M2 mini will be the last device I ever buy with USB-A. Every USB-C added is a win for the majority of people. If you need USB-A for all those keyboards and dongles, I'm certain there's a USB-C to A hub that will do the job for you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    It's about time.  They should all be USB4-enabled ports, meaning they should also all be Thunderbolt-compatible too.
    Alex1Nchasmwilliamlondonwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 15 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,439member
    An easy solution is to bring back the wired keyboard that had a USB hub in it. 

Make it USB-c so it can draw decent power then add the SD card slot and a usb-c port to the existing 2 USBa ports at the end.
    Alex1NHrebzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    edr said:
    Really really unfortunate if they remove <any> of the ports the mini currently has. There are still a bunch of items out there that are USB-A only (keyboard/controller dongles and various others, now you will need an ugly USB-C dongle to use them). The pro mini currently has 6 USB ports in the back, 4 USB-C/TB and 2 USB-A, the loss of even a single one of these is really really unfortunate. If they move to having only 3 USB-C ports in the back and 2 in front, this is barely better than just using a laptop. A MAJORITY of the POINT of the mini is to have significantly better connectivity than a laptop and a cleaner look with all the ports in the rear and not coming out of multiple sides of the device as you have with a laptop. Plus the change of form factor which almost nobody has asked for in order to help Apple have cheaper cargo shipping and the inconvenience of changing any mounts and brackets some users make use of.
    With that sort if thinking USB-A will never be deprecated. It’s about moving forward, not getting stuck in the past. 
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 17 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,489member
    netrox said:
    We don't need USB-A anymore. I don't buy anything that has USB-A. I always look for USB-C. If it uses USB-A, I don't buy it. It's simple. USB-C is designed to be future proof and will work for many devices for many many decades ahead 

USB-C is incredibly user friendly. No more fiddling to orient. USB-C works every time you plug in. 

If you have old USB-A devices, they can easily be retrofitted with USB-C adaptor.
    I agree with all these points, but I will quibble about "many many decades ahead" for USB-C. I am very pro-USB-C and hope you are right, but experience with the technology industry tells me you're not. :smile: 

Don't get me wrong, I think it has AT LEAST a decade ahead of it as people slowly change over/replace their dinosaur computers, but the technology industry is about change, and someone will eventually figure out how to make nearly everything wireless for a no-port future at some point.

I also find it amusing that people I talk to are resistant to changing from USB-A when I tell them about USB-C's flexibility, speed, bandwidth and future potential -- but I win them over every time when I tell them about how you can't put it in wrong! LOL

As for adapting old USB-A using A-to-C adapters, I'm not a fan of the adapters, but I'm a huge fan of hubs. A single hub can handle ALL your legacy needs, taking up only one USB-C/TB port, AND extra USB-C (and other) ports if you choose a versatile hub. I have two such hubs (one for home, one for travel) and they're both very small but have all the extra connectors I might need (including Ethernet).
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 18 of 35
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,402member
    Keep the mini the current size, toss the USB-A ports, and add more TB-4 ports. That's the USB-C connector supporting Thunderbolt 4. I'll keep my Lightning peripherals for as long as I can.

I'm fully capable and comfortable using and charging with both connectors, and for Apple peripherals I prefer Lightning. They're pretty scarce now so I'll have to switch to all USB-C soon enough.

USB-A will be avoided and I do have adapters for just about any contingency. I also agree that the way tech goes, USB-C being the standard for a decade or more is iffy. USB-A is still a standard for awhile but no longer the standard. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,408member
    If there is physical no space for USB-A, I think a move to all USB-C is fine.  But if there is space for at least one USB-A port, it makes no sense to not offer that. Despite what the vocal "USB-C ONLY" crowd preaches, USB-A is still ubiquitous (unlike USB-C) and Apple going to all USB-C on a new Mac Mini won't change that fact in the least.  For better or for worse, USB-A is here to stay, and I suspect it will continue to be used 10 or 15 years hence.  Look at how long USB-C has been out and how little progress it has made in "replacing" USB-A.

So for practical reasons of eliminating stupid dongles (which not only add cost but weaken connections too, not to mention look bad), having USB-A connectors even now in 2024 still makes logical sense, when space on a given device allows.

Personally, what I would like to see are more devices that push connectivity forward, such as a THUNDERBOLT thumb drive.  Yeah, I'm sick and tired of the USB 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 performance limitations compared to Thunderbolt 3 or 4.  For crying out loud, give us super fast thumb drives with the fastest connection possible.  You're still going to need the same USB-C connector anyway! And because Thunderbolt doesn’t use USB-A connectors, innovations like that could drive more adoption of USB-C over USB-A.  In other words, give us more devices that require a USB-C shaped plug so more people are forced to use USB-C and we can then replace USB-A, once and for all.

As long as new devices continue to ship with USB-A ports, people will still find the ports useful to have on a modern computer.  And because we are all Apple Mac fans here, each one of us know full well that aesthetics matter.  Dongles aren't desirable.  At. All.
    edited September 1 muthuk_vanalingambaconstangargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    dewme said:
    There are plenty of inexpensive USB-C hubs out there that will give you quite a few USB-A and other ports. Nobody like dongles, but on a desktop computer they are more tolerable, especially if the form factor works well with the Mac mini's aesthetic, like this one: https://satechi.net/products/type-c-aluminum-stand-hub-for-mac-mini.

Every dog has his day, but the USB-A's days are soon to be over for good and we will all have to adopt a new dog.
    Remember when Apple first introduced the USB-A port in the iMac.  I think that was in 1998. So that port has been in Mac for 24 years.  I think it is okay to let it go now.  At least there are plenty of cheap adaptors around where it was tricky to find USB devices back in 1998.

My main reason to avoid USB-A now if that I don't need multiple cables for charging / connectivity. I can get rid of a lot of cables / adaptors if I didn't have USB-A devices.
    watto_cobra