Apple lobbyists helped kill child online safety bill

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2

Apple may be adding new ways to combat smartphone addiction, but it's also spending millions on lobbying regulators to limit what it's required to do with the iPhone and App Store.

Apple Store exterior with a large Apple logo above the entrance. Inside are tables with products and large advertising screens on the walls.
Apple Mall of Louisiana

According to the Wall Street Journal, multiple states are looking to regulate teen smartphone use, and can all expect pressure from Apple. Detailing one effort in Louisiana earlier in 2024, the publication says Apple hired four additional lobbyists and who began contacting legislator Kim Carver.

"I'd describe them as panicked," Carver said. "[Apple's outreach was] all day, every day. At that point, I was like, 'OK, we're done talking.'"

The issue was over a social media bill that would require Apple to add and enforce age restrictions through the App Store, instead of leaving it to individual apps.

"I didn't want to absolve Meta, Instagram, TikTok or Snapchat from their responsibility," Carver said. But during discussions with technology firms, a lobbyist for Meta persuaded him that it made more sense for the App Store to take responsibility.

Carver agreed that it would be better for parents to have one place they could trust, instead of having to repeat age verification with every app their children used. Consequently, Carver included Apple in his proposed legislation, despite a reported flurry of text messages from the company's lobbyists calling out the "poison pill from Meta."

Separately, an Apple spokesperson alleged that Meta was trying to deflect attention away from its own challenges with child safety. The spokesperson said Apple provides parental controls, and it sharing age details with third-party apps would be a violation of privacy.

In order to be voted on by Louisiana's Senate, a key committee would have to approve it, and Carver says he began to hear that the bill could be in trouble. While Apple denies this, Carver says he was warned that the state could expect to be sued if the bill included the App Store requirement.

Carver then consulted with chair Senator Beth Mizell. While he would not disclose the advice she gave him, Carver told the Wall Street Journal that "I made the choice to take the win that we could get."

The App Store requirement was removed from the bill, which then easily passed the Senate. Reportedly, an Apple lobbyist thanked Carver for not trying to get the clause restored.

No Apple lobbyists have commented, and Senator Mizell has said only that other states have not pursued the App Store in this way.

Carver now hopes to propose the App Store requirement in the state's next session. Having now set up his 14-year-old daughter's iPhone, he said that "I quickly realised that Apple's parental controls aren't the panacea they're promised to be."

Apple has tended to spend less on lobbying than rivals such as Facebook and Amazon. However, in 2021, its lobbyists allegedly offered to invest in Louisiana's education system if App Store legislation were dropped.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,555member
    With so many smaller developers offering "social media" services, it would make sense for the major app stores to be held at least partially accountable. No one is better positioned than Google and Apple at vetting the age requirements. 
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well the evidence does more or less point to ‘social’apps being regulated as R16 or R18. That said, beyond whatever it is kids are doing that is causing so much harm to one another (and perps who may be lurking), adult SM feeds are now full of so much baited, lame & irrelevant content, profilers and hackers that SM is surely dead in the water anyway…
    edited September 2 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Kim Carver was looking for the "ban woke" button in the iOS parental controls and couldn't find it. 
    watto_cobraVictorMortimer
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Here’s the problem with forcing Apple. By putting the onus on Apple then, as was rightly stated, Meta et al won’t do anything at all to help fix the problem because it’s not in their interests.

Apple was right to push back.

That being said, I would love for Apple to provide much more fine grained tools for managing the devices my child uses so I can better protect him rather than leaving it up to anyone else.

PLEASE Apple, give us parents these tools on device rather than giving our info to third parties.

Incidentally I saw on the news the other day, there’s a push here in New Zealand to have social media platforms restricted to 18 which I 100% back.
    edited September 2 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    The answer to most of these problems is quite simple. Make the social media companies responsible for all content "published" - if they publish any illegal content they would be responsible - they would have to regulate the content and that would probably kill a massive chunk of the platform, but get rid of the vast majority of issues. If they do not take down illegal or harmful content they get sued for up to 30% of their annual turnover. All web sites should be controlled this way - safety first and protect our kids.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,555member
    Kwikiwi said:
    The answer to most of these problems is quite simple. Make the social media companies responsible for all content "published" - if they publish any illegal content they would be responsible - they would have to regulate the content and that would probably kill a massive chunk of the platform, but get rid of the vast majority of issues. If they do not take down illegal or harmful content they get sued for up to 30% of their annual turnover. All web sites should be controlled this way - safety first and protect our kids.
    And then those websites should be encouraged to sue the parties responsible for posting those stories to claw back the fines they were given all due to those offenders, many of them serial. That would go even further to eliminate the problem right at the source.

Of course, politicians probably won't like being sued for distributing false information, and special interest groups might not survive the first big lawsuit challenging how truthful they are. Then of course we'll need some official and government-santioned group tasked with determining if a claim is true or not, or if a piece of content is patently offensive. And someone other group will have to decide who should be on that committee or agency.  Then some group or political action committee will claim their constitutional rights are being violated by that group, and how dare some big tech be encouraged to sue them anyway.

Oh my, so much involved when at least a large portion of the responsibility could be assigned to Apple and Google to privately and securely age verify without sharing anything at all with the app itself. Your privacy and that of your child is maintained. Wouldn't this go most of the way in keeping adult content away from children via a social app? Unless of course, the parents approve otherwise, and sadly many of them would IMO. 
    edited September 4
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Glad to see Apple doing something good.

This "But think of the children!" garbage needs to die.  We're not talking about poison or guns here, we're talking about apps.

This nonsense is as bad as the PMRC garbage back in the '80s, and it needs to end.  It's literally a first amendment violation for government to try this crap.