Tim Cook hangs out with George Clooney as 'Wolfs' gets standing ovation

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Tim Cook was in Italy for the Venice Film Festival where Apple TV+ movie "Wolfs" got its world premiere, while George Clooney called it a "bummer" that Apple was limiting its theatrical release.

Brad Pitt and George Clooney in 'Wolfs'
Brad Pitt and George Clooney in 'Wolfs'

"Wolfs" premiered out of competition at the festival, ahead of a shortened theatrical run from September 20, 2024. According to Deadline, the film got a five-minute and 35-second ovation in the Festival's Sala Grande on September 1.

The film stars George Clooney and Brad Pitt as two separate "lone wolf" characters, forced to work together. Reportedly, both Clooney and Pitt took a pay cut specifically to help ensure that the film got a wide theatrical release, but Apple will instead stream it from September 27.

Speaking at a press conference, Clooney said that the change was "a bummer," but also said that the film industry was working through difficult times post-COVID.

"On the other hand, a lot of people are going to see the film [on Apple TV+] and we are getting a release in a few hundred theaters," he said, "but yeah, it would have been nicer to have a wide release."

Besties and co-stars George Clooney and Brad Pitt hug it out after the world premiere of their movie, which earned a 5-minute ovation #Wolfs #Venezia81 pic.twitter.com/3pHBbv0xFK

-- Deadline (@DEADLINE)

Tim Cook and Apple head of services Eddy Cue spent time with Clooney at the star's Lake Como villa. But the two were then specifically in Venice to promote the forthcoming drama series, "Disclaimer."

As part of that, Cook and Cue spent an evening with star and executive producer Cate Blanchett.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,796member
    For the life of me I can't imagine clapping after a movie no matter how good it is. And, yet, I've don't think clapping at the end of a live stage performance isn't out of place.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    It’s customary to clap after a film if you liked it and the people who made it are in the theater with you, probably announced, possibly standing up and taking a bow and/or taking the stage to answer questions. If you’ve never been in that situation, you might be surprised how natural it feels. You’re clapping for the people, not for the benefit of the film itself, of course. 
    edited September 2 watto_cobramike1Spitbath
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Bummed that only on Apple plus. It’s the one streaming service I don’t pay for and find it hard to bite the bullet on another  subscription service. Costs getting out of control.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    IMAX has it listed as coming soon.
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sethm1 said:
    Bummed that only on Apple plus. It’s the one streaming service I don’t pay for and find it hard to bite the bullet on another  subscription service. Costs getting out of control.
    Pay for it, watch everything you want, pause your subscription after a few months and come back in a year or a year or two. That’s how I do it (with all the streamingservices).  
    darbus69chasmpaisleydiscowatto_cobramike1Spitbath
  • Reply 6 of 12
    schmrtzzz said:
    sethm1 said:
    Pay for it, watch everything you want, pause your subscription after a few months and come back in a year or a year or two. That’s how I do it (with all the streamingservices).  

Isn’t that how everyone does all of their streaming services??? Anyone want to help me build an app that rates all of your streaming services and upcoming programming and then tells you when to start and pause which services when, based on quality and quantity of product available???

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,489member
    schmrtzzz said:
    sethm1 said:
    Cancel the subscription service you use/watch least, use the money to pick up a different one for a while. We limit ourselves to four TV subscription services at a time, no more than that. Apple TV+ and Criterion are the mainstays, right now we have Prime and Disney+ as the other two, all at the ad-free tier (the only reason we have streaming subscriptions at all).

When Doctor Who series 2 has been watched, we'll likely drop Disney+ for a year and replace it with one of the others (or perhaps nothing). We tend to buy subscriptions for one year up front (saves money compared to paying month-to-month), and then re-evaluate our use of it when it's coming up for renewal. Most services hold on to their programming for years, so for example if I develop a hankering for "Stranger Things" on Netflix next year, I know the entire series will be there for me to catch up on if I join up.

On the whole, we spend under $500/year on streaming services. Compare that to the $1000-or-higher yearly charge for cable, and it's a no-brainer to play streaming roulette IMO. Hell, any two services would have more things I'd be interested in viewing than I have time to watch in a year* anyway.

*I'm nowhere near retirement, but I acknowledge that if I was retired I might be more dependent/indulgent on streaming than I currently am.
    edited September 2 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Xed said:
    For the life of me I can't imagine clapping after a movie no matter how good it is. And, yet, I've don't think clapping at the end of a live stage performance isn't out of place.

you sound like fun at a party.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Can't wait to watch this. Looks like another quality film on Apple TV+

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,555member
    It’s customary to clap after a film if you liked it and the people who made it are in the theater with you, probably announced, possibly standing up and taking a bow and/or taking the stage to answer questions. If you’ve never been in that situation, you might be surprised how natural it feels. You’re clapping for the people, not for the benefit of the film itself, of course. 
    Kevin Costner got a 7-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival premier of his "Horizon, Part One" movie series. At the time I assumed that meant it was a great movie and I was anxious to see it. You're right, the ovation was apparently for the actors and others, and not for the movie itself which pretty much bombed at the box office.
    Like "Wolf's" it too got a very brief release to theaters and is now already streaming.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/kevin-costner-tears-cannes-western-epic-horizon-earns-7-minute-standin-rcna153053

"Wolf's" may or may not do any better, but the ovation is not an indicator. 
    edited September 3
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,387member
    Xed said:

Same people who clap when their airplane lands.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,387member
    sethm1 said:

Go find one of the "hundreds" of theaters in which to see it. Or sign up for the free trial when the film is available.