New Apple Watch Series 10 rumors disagree over screen redesign

Posted:
in Apple Watch

Consecutive Apple Watch Series 10 reports from the same leaker offer conflicting details over whether the screen will be flat like it is on the Apple Watch Ultra.

A smartwatch with health and activity metrics displayed on the screen, set against a blurred colorful background.
A render of what the Apple Watch Series 10 could look like

There have long been rumors that the forthcoming Apple Watch Series 10 would feature a significant redesign to mark the device's 10-year anniversary -- and that it won't. The rumors have also vacillated over whether the new watch, which might be called the Apple Watch Series X would be thicker or thinner than the current model.

Now a series of leaks from Majin Bu only adds to the uncertainty. For in one leak, he or she shows an Apple Watch Series 10 screen protector, which appears to prove that the display will be flat, as on the Apple Watch Ultra.

However, in a more comprehensive roundup of Apple Watch rumors posted shortly afterwards, Majin Bu insists that the screen will remain curved. It will be bigger than the Apple Watch Series 9 display, but it will retain the current model's curved edges.

Apple Watch 10 changes based on what I have been told from my source:

1. Will be available in 2 new sizes 42-46 mm

2. The display should remain identical (curved display)

3. The speaker design becomes like on Apple Watch Ultra as you can see in the image, but the speakers will pic.twitter.com/J0XqyvFQBg

-- Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial)

Majin Bu's leaks about a larger display claim that the new Apple Watch will come in 42mm and 46mm sizes. That marks an increase over the current model's 41mm and 45mm, but is noticeably less than the Apple Watch Ultra 2's 49mm.

Previous rumors have varied, but include at least one report claiming that the Apple Watch Series 10 would have a 50.8mm display.

Majin Bu says that the Apple Watch Series 10 will adopt the speaker design of the Apple Watch Ultra. He or she adds "the speakers will remain two," but the current Apple Watch Series 9 has one speaker.

The rest of the leak includes:

• The chassis will be thinner by an unspecified amount

• The Stainless Steel has been removed

• A Titanium option has been added

• There may be a ceramic edition

• Apple's Milanese Loop band has been redesigned in titanium

Majin Bu posted these leaks on Twitter, and in the ensuing thread was asked about the conflicting nature of the screen display reports.

"I limit myself to reporting the news that I find and that I am given," replied Majin Bu. "The previous news is based on my observations, the current one on what I have been told."

"In any case, one should never take anything too seriously," continued the leaker.

It's rare for Majin Bu to post an extended list of claimed leaks like this. However, overall he or she does not have a great track record. As an example, the leaker predicted in 2023 that Apple would launch an iPhone 15 Ultra.

Apple is expected to announce the new Apple Watch Series 10 at its iPhone 16 "It's Glowtime" event on September 9, 2024.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I haven't heard any credible reports of any new significant functionality?  Have I just missed them, or have they been missing?
    michelb76pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 13
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,033member
    Well, with rumors all over the map, it seems Apple has done a good job of keeping its plans for Apple Watch X under wraps. Apple, itself, probably starts some of these bogus rumors just to identify the places where its supply chain is leaking information. I always thought the supposed move to 45mm as the "small" watch size made absolutely no sense. I think we'll likely see some very modest tweaks to the design--a tiny bit thinner, perhaps a display that's a tiny bit larger--but nothing radical. The newest rumor about a titanium option for the regular Apple Watch seems very possible, although I'm not sure about it replacing SS. The highly polished SS models in black and silver give the watch a dressier, more upscale look, while brushed Ti is going to look pretty darn close to the brushed silver aluminum watch. Maybe they'll go with polished Ti for the regular watch and keep the brushed finish for Ultra, where it makes more sense. 

It doesn't sound like any new major health functionality is ready to be included. The rumored blood pressure functionality is so bare bones at present as to be not very useful at all: no actual readings will be possible, just an indication as to whether your BP is trending up or down. 
    mike1
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The lack of rumours for the Apple Watch is worrying. Series 9 was a woeful release , as was the 8. Barely any improvement over the S7. Focus has been on ultra , and even then U2 barely any different to U1. Watch team taking a break lol. 

New Pixel Watch seems to be bringing better fitness tools (Apple should copy & Google’s pulse detection & alerting SOS is a good idea). How about better scratch resistance as the base models are really poor compared to the ones with sapphire screens.

Honestly not sure what else would be useful/wanted ? A stress level indicator ? 
    More colours ? Longer lasting battery (obviously). 

grandact73
  • Reply 4 of 13
    No need for screen redesign. 

Definite need for size increase. 

Titanium vs. stainless… why? Marketing maybe?

features… any hope of a blood glucose return? 

• Reply 5 of 13
    PemaPema Posts: 98member
    How silly are these contradictory rumours. 
    It's like saying a bunch of people woke up this morning and they all had a different experience talking to Christ. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lewchenko said:
    The lack of rumours for the Apple Watch is worrying. Series 9 was a woeful release , as was the 8. Barely any improvement over the S7. 

Honestly not sure what else would be useful/wanted ? A stress level indicator ? 
    More colours ? Longer lasting battery (obviously). 

This is funny. After criticizing the watch team for lack of innovation in the last couple of releases, you admit to not being sure what else would be useful. Exactly. That IS the question. What else would be useful? Fact is, we know that answer and what the next killer watch apps will be: blood glucose and blood pressure monitoring with real and accurate readings. Unfortunately, there are technological hurdles Apple has yet to clear. (What we may get sooner than later is a simple indication of how blood pressure is trending, be it up or down... but no actual readings. I believe Samsung may have this already. But such simplified and limited information is not all that useful.) 
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 13
    guess i’ll be keeping my series 4 for one more year. i know the os updates won’t work anymore, but the minimal addition of features and the same design upgrade just isn’t worth it. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    emeeme said:
    guess i’ll be keeping my series 4 for one more year. i know the os updates won’t work anymore, but the minimal addition of features and the same design upgrade just isn’t worth it. 
    and recharging it 2-3 times a day?
    michelb76
  • Reply 9 of 13
    No need for screen redesign. 

Definite need for size increase. 

Titanium vs. stainless… why? Marketing maybe?

features… any hope of a blood glucose return? 

edited September 5
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,387member
    eightzero said:
    emeeme said:
    and recharging it 2-3 times a day?
    My battery life is definitely shorter, but I still get a full day of awake time. My watch usually goes on around 7:00am and needs to charge by 9 or 10:00 pm.
    Would consider an upgrade this year. Especially, if it was thinner.

Scot1
  • Reply 11 of 13
    emeeme said:
    I've had the series 3, 5, 7 and Ultra 1. Biggest differences that have made a real difference in my user experience of the watch? Hands down, increased screen size and speed. I'm a huge fan of the Modular Ultra watch face, which I have set up to give me immediate access to these apps: Battery, Calendar, Stopwatch, Digital time readout, Weather, Mail, Messages and Music. The Action Button takes me directly to Workouts. This kind of setup allows me to forget or leave my iPhone at home and not care--what I need is right there on my watch, where I can also take and receive a call if essential. (And no one has realized that I'm talking to them from my watch.) The increased screen size is not only essential for keeping an 8-app on-face setup from looking like a train wreck, it's also wonderful for reading the occasional email or responding to a message. Response time for everything is now instantaneous thanks to the increased processing power, which also contributes to exceptional accuracy when taking dictation to respond quickly to a message or email. (Even with the increased screen size, typing is still kind of ridiculous.) It's also nice to have an always on watchface (which the Series 4 lacks) while still getting battery life that easily lasts more than a day, and sometimes two if it's mainly just keeping time. 

Trust me: whenever you do upgrade from your Series 4, you will be stunned by how much better your user experience is of the watch. 
    edited September 5
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Bigger screens that I like, but only if it is thinner.   I don't want to wear a huge speed bump like the Apple Ultra this is the one Apple device I want thinner. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,387member
    charlesn said:
    emeeme said:
    I've had the series 3, 5, 7 and Ultra 1. Biggest differences that have made a real difference in my user experience of the watch? Hands down, increased screen size and speed. I'm a huge fan of the Modular Ultra watch face, which I have set up to give me immediate access to these apps: Battery, Calendar, Stopwatch, Digital time readout, Weather, Mail, Messages and Music. The Action Button takes me directly to Workouts. This kind of setup allows me to forget or leave my iPhone at home and not care--what I need is right there on my watch, where I can also take and receive a call if essential. (And no one has realized that I'm talking to them from my watch.) The increased screen size is not only essential for keeping an 8-app on-face setup from looking like a train wreck, it's also wonderful for reading the occasional email or responding to a message. Response time for everything is now instantaneous thanks to the increased processing power, which also contributes to exceptional accuracy when taking dictation to respond quickly to a message or email. (Even with the increased screen size, typing is still kind of ridiculous.) It's also nice to have an always on watchface (which the Series 4 lacks) while still getting battery life that easily lasts more than a day, and sometimes two if it's mainly just keeping time. 

Trust me: whenever you do upgrade from your Series 4, you will be stunned by how much better your user experience is of the watch. 

The one thing needed for me to leave my phone home would be the ability to pair Bluetooth directly to my car. For some reason,this is not allowed.