Most iPhone buyers prioritize need over new features in latest upgrades

Posted:
in iPhone

As Apple gears up to unveil the iPhone 16 lineup, a new study suggests that allure of new features may no longer be the driving force behind iPhone purchases.

An iPhone 15 Pro Max with a sleek black design, flat edges, and camera lenses on a modern, dark surface.
iPhone 15 Pro Max

Historically, Apple has wowed customers with significant features that have created a surge in iPhone upgrades. From the introduction of the Retina display to the implementation of Face ID, these features have tempted users to trade in their old models.

But according to data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), the current landscape looks a bit different.

When new iPhone buyers were asked why they purchased a new phone, the most common response wasn't excitement for the latest features. Instead, around 75% of respondents cited the obsolescence of their old phone or the need to replace a lost, broken, or stolen device.

For many, the decision to purchase a new iPhone is driven by the performance decline of their old device -- whether it's slowing down, has a failing battery, or has other issues.

Only about 18% of customers said that new features were the main reason for their upgrade. The enthusiast group includes early adopters who are expected to be the first in line when the new iPhone 16 hits stores later in September.

Pie chart showing reasons for upgrading iPhones: obsolete 44%, lost/broken/stolen 29%, new features 18%, incentive 6%, network 2%, friends/family 1%. CIRP logo in bottom right corner.
Reasons for purchasing a new iPhone

However, while many users report upgrading due to obsolescence, new features play a secondary role in their decision-making process. For example, someone with an older model may wait for the release of the latest iPhone, even if their primary reason for upgrading is that their current device is no longer functioning well.

While new features aren't the main driver, they provide a valuable incentive.

"Needless to say, as always we'll see a rush of buyers for the new iPhone lineup," ponders CIRP. "The number that are drawn by the upgraded features may be the minority, however."

Rumors that the iPhone 16 lineup may face price increases could put a damper on sales though.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,954member
    🙋‍♂️Charging plug is getting flaky, some spots in the touch screen aren’t as sensitive as they used to be, battery is at about 80%, a couple of other ‘flaky’ issues. It’s time.
    edited September 4 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    If a person doesn’t need new features why is it obsolete? As long as they can get replacement parts and batteries they can still use the phone without new features.
    DAalsethdewmekamyk35watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    This is horrible news for Apple, especially since newer phones these days last longer. This means people are more willing to hold onto their old phones and not buy the new ones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,235member
    This is horrible news for Apple, especially since newer phones these days last longer. This means people are more willing to hold onto their old phones and not buy the new ones.
    So? Doomed…..
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Same things happened with computers and their operating systems.   They used to be so horrible that any upgrade had people drooling.   Eventually they got good enough to satisfy most common uses for a long while.   Some companies like Apple compensate for this by building an 'ecosystem' of devices and services.   That way once you're invested in the company you tend to buy other products and then subscription services.   Anyway, Apple seems to be doing just fine so far.
    jeffharriskamyk35baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If a person doesn’t need new features why is it obsolete? As long as they can get replacement parts and batteries they can still use the phone without new features.
    Security updates. If the phone can no longer get the latest OS, then the phone gets less security updates, until at some point the phone gets no security updates. This makes it more and more vulnerable.

Also, by upgrading one can take advantage of newer technologies, and frequencies. newer bluetooth, wifi, camera, etc

edited September 5 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's just another spun survey to suit the anti Apple narrative.
    People are holding on to their phones longer, because Apple hasn't come out with killer feature for a good while, Apple intelligence isn't getting the world in a spin, because 1) it's no where near ready and 2) it's US only & US English only.
    If people aren't looking at new features, then why not just buy an $89 battery replacement and carry on?
    For Example, I upgraded my 13Pro (which I was very happy with) for 2 features,  always on display for stand by mode & weight reduction, my next upgrade won't be until all the camera's are 48mp and not before, maybe a glowing Apple logo would tempt me badly 🤣
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The new 'feature' that would get me to upgrade is a 'mini' iteration.
    edited September 5 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,038member
    It would be horrible IF this were news. Or facts. It is neither. Think of it as an advertisement for CIRP, which makes its money by getting other companies to pay for its "expert" research. How do you define your company as an expert? One way is to feed studies like this one for free to the industry press, get your company name quoted a lot, and then, voilà! You're an expert!

Notice that there is no scientifically accepted statistical variance attached to the validity of these numbers, i.e., plus or minus X percent. We don't know how the questions in this poll were asked and, most importantly, we know nothing about how well the small sample group polled truly represents all iPhone buyers. And the validity of ANY poll rests completely on how well the small sample group polled represents the overall whole. 

Ask yourself this question: if the iPhone 16 lineup were an exact duplicate of the iPhone 15 lineup with no changes other than the name, do you think sales would only fall by 18%? Because according to CIRP, that's all they should fall, since only 18% are buying for new features--so no new features shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the buyers, right? And If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. 

Hey, it's not a problem to read a survey like this for fun, sort of the way you'd read your daily horoscope or your fortune inside a cookie. Just don't take it seriously. 
    edited September 5 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,038member
    The new 'feature' that would get me to upgrade is a 'mini' iteration.
    Yeah, I would've bet the farm there were enough people like you to sustain an iPhone Mini in the product lineup, Its failure remains a head scratcher to me.  I also would've bet the farm that regular iPhone buyers would have jumped at the iPhone Plus's bigger screen and bigger battery for an extra $100 and made it a hit product. And I would've lost the farm both times. For whatever reason, the only successful model beyond the core 3 of iPhone, Pro and Pro Max has been the SE.