Apple's iPhone water resistance has a big catch, claims new lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    I hope Apple changes how they market the iphone or changes the warranty regarding this. 

Last year my iphone got splashed next to a pool.  The camera started fogging up on the inside and nothing I did could get rid of the moisture (fog would come back after slightly heating camera area).  I took to an Apple store and they wouldn't replace it for free (I had Applecare plus). The water sensors were NOT triggered. I ended up doing a hot swap and mailed in my phone and they credited the full amount of the replacement charge.  My experience at the store was a waste of my time and it shouldn't have been so difficult/complicated.

I've seen people film with their iphones underwater because they assume it is waterproof per Apple's marketing.  It's not unreasonable to make such an assumption.

TLDR: iPhone had water in camera area.  Apple store rejected my warranty replacement request.  I filled out online form and had phone replaced for free.  Apple should change their marketing or warranty to align with each other.
    elijahgh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61
    elijahg said:
    mknelson said:

The logic for the limited warranty is probably something along the lines of "The design was tested for IP##, if there is water ingress under those conditions you must have damaged the seals".
    That is a flawed argument. By that standard, zero warranty claims could ever exist because there would never be a manufacturing defect; every problem is user-created, which is obviously false. A defect in the seal could have existed from the factory, and allow water ingress when used in the conditions it's advertised with. To exclude that is no different to excluding camera problems due to using it in the sun too much, when advertising the phone being used to take photos in the sun.

My iPhone 13 Pro had dust in the lens, despite being sealed. You're saying that shouldn't have been covered because I must have somehow done something to get dust in the lens?

Either way in the UK, or the EU, and I would imagine Canada, Apple would have not a leg to stand on. You can't advertise the use of something then claim that using it that way might damage the product and that they won't cover it. That's just ridiculous, and it's fraudulent advertising.
    elijahg said:

sloth77 said:
    The warranty for Samsung Galaxy phones works the same way. Exposure to water isn't considered normal use under the warranty. In other words, it's not a product that is specifically made to operate in water. 
    AFAIK, all phone manufacturers that advertise water resistance have a warrantee that excludes water damage.

Counter intuitive perhaps, but it is the way it has always been.

To be fair, AppleCare+ (unlike the standard warrantee) does have a clause that states repairs will not exceed $79 for water damage.
    Adding an exclusion doesn't mean it's legal. It has yet to be tested in court.
    Guess what - Sony (the first OEM to get their phones IP rated) falsely advertised as their Xperia Z phones as water-proof about a decade ago. And learnt the lesson the hard way in the form of lawsuits when they refused to entertain warranty claims on their phones with water damage. They gave a lesson on how to handle the legal text around IP ratings and what is covered under warranty and what is not covered etc to other OEMs. I am sure Apple would have covered their bases with this one and I don't think Apple would be in trouble over this lawsuit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    It's important to see what Apple actually says: 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/108039

It's a lot.

Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty, but you might have rights under consumer law.

To prevent liquid damage, avoid:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone

• Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on

• Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room

• Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water

• Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions

• Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts

• Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids — for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. If your iPhone comes into contact with any of these substances, follow the instructions to clean your iPhone.

What should I do if my iPhone gets wet?

1. If a liquid other than water splashes on your iPhone, rinse the affected area with tap water.

2. Wipe your iPhone off with a soft, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth.

Make sure that your iPhone is dry before opening the SIM tray.

To dry your iPhone, tap it gently against your hand with the Lightning or USB-C connector facing down to remove excess liquid. Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. Placing your iPhone in front of a fan blowing cool air directly into the Lightning or USB-C connector might help the drying process.

Don't dry your iPhone using an external heat source or insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or a paper towel, into the Lightning or USB-C connector.

Your iPhone can warn you if there's liquid in the Lightning or USB-C connector when you connect a cable or an accessory to your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later. Learn what to do if you see a liquid-detection alert on your iPhone.

If my iPhone gets wet, can I charge it?

If your iPhone has been exposed to liquid, unplug all cables and do not charge your device until it’s completely dry. Using accessories or charging when wet might damage your iPhone. Allow at least 5 hours before charging with a Lightning or USB-C cable or connecting an accessory.

For wireless charging, wipe off your iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is dry before you place it on a compatible wireless charging mat.

What should I do if my iPhone got wet, and now its speaker sounds muffled?

Check to see if water is in the microphone or speaker: Place your iPhone, speaker side down, on a lint-free cloth and see if water drips out. Water in the port might degrade speaker or microphone performance until it completely evaporates. Dry your iPhone using the previous instructions.

What should I do if dust gets on my iPhone?

If dust or dirt gets on your iPhone, wipe it off with a soft, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth. Make sure that your iPhone is free of dust before opening the SIM tray. Don't use cleaning products or compressed air.

MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 61
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,819member
    elijahg said:
    mknelson said:

The logic for the limited warranty is probably something along the lines of "The design was tested for IP##, if there is water ingress under those conditions you must have damaged the seals".
    That is a flawed argument. By that standard, zero warranty claims could ever exist because there would never be a manufacturing defect; every problem is user-created, which is obviously false. A defect in the seal could have existed from the factory, and allow water ingress when used in the conditions it's advertised with. To exclude that is no different to excluding camera problems due to using it in the sun too much, when advertising the phone being used to take photos in the sun.

My iPhone 13 Pro had dust in the lens, despite being sealed. You're saying that shouldn't have been covered because I must have somehow done something to get dust in the lens?

Either way in the UK, or the EU, and I would imagine Canada, Apple would have not a leg to stand on. You can't advertise the use of something then claim that using it that way might damage the product and that they won't cover it. That's just ridiculous, and it's fraudulent advertising.
    elijahg said:

sloth77 said:
    The warranty for Samsung Galaxy phones works the same way. Exposure to water isn't considered normal use under the warranty. In other words, it's not a product that is specifically made to operate in water. 
    AFAIK, all phone manufacturers that advertise water resistance have a warrantee that excludes water damage.

Counter intuitive perhaps, but it is the way it has always been.

To be fair, AppleCare+ (unlike the standard warrantee) does have a clause that states repairs will not exceed $79 for water damage.
    Adding an exclusion doesn't mean it's legal. It has yet to be tested in court.
    Guess what - Sony (the first OEM to get their phones IP rated) falsely advertised as their Xperia Z phones as water-proof about a decade ago. And learnt the lesson the hard way in the form of lawsuits when they refused to entertain warranty claims on their phones with water damage. They gave a lesson on how to handle the legal text around IP ratings and what is covered under warranty and what is not covered etc to other OEMs. I am sure Apple would have covered their bases with this one and I don't think Apple would be in trouble over this lawsuit.
    This is different to Sony's claim of waterproof. Apple never advertised as waterproof, but they did advertise that the iPhone has an IP67/68, rating which as I said is an actual standard - higher than the Sony's IP56. To advertise anything with a feature to which people quite reasonably would believe the product should have, and then try and claim otherwise in some fine print you don't even have to review before buying the phone is not going to fly.

Interestingly the iPhone getting wet ads have actually been pulled from YT, which is odd as Apple doesn't usually pull old ads.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    gatorguy said:
    kamyk35 said:
    Sounds like he's is trying to redefine the definitions for water resistant & water proof
    It's not as though Apple marketing discourages the inference of being "waterproof".  We have them promoting "look what we found on the lake bottom and it still works!" stories on a regular basis. Marketing can be a bit weasily, so always go by the specs and legal disclaimers. 
    Apple promotes the iphone in lake stories? Citation needed. 
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 61
    The lawsuit doesn’t make any claims that the phone needs to “operate” while under water just that it will not be damaged per the IP rating.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    The warranty that matters is the “Warranty of Merchantability” not what Apple writes in their boilerplate.
    h2pelijahg
  • Reply 28 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    gatorguy said:
    kamyk35 said:
    Sounds like he's is trying to redefine the definitions for water resistant & water proof
    It's not as though Apple marketing discourages the inference of being "waterproof".  We have them promoting "look what we found on the lake bottom and it still works!" stories on a regular basis. Marketing can be a bit weasily, so always go by the specs and legal disclaimers. 
    Apple promotes the iphone in lake stories? Citation needed. 

Start with the Sept. 12, 2018 Keynote. 40:58 mark
    then
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250312425?sortBy=rank
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/03/03/iphone-11-survives-7-meters-deep-in-lake-for-a-week
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/06/iphone-11-reunited-with-owner-after-spending-6-months-in-a-lake
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/23/man-recovers-iphone-lost-at-the-bottom-of-a-river-for-10-months
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/25/determined-owner-retrieves-working-iphone-from-frozen-lake-after-month-underwater
    and lastly
    https://www.patentlyapple.com/2020/11/italys-agcm-office-fined-apple-close-to-us12-million-for-deceiving-iphone-water-resistant-claims-whi.html

Apple certainly seems happy with implying "don't worry about water, it's an iPhone" to potential buyers, instead of warning that water being splashed on one might void a warranty.

Some search engines are better than others. :wink: 

edited September 6 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamelijahgnubus
  • Reply 29 of 61
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,236member
    It’s water resistant for incidental water contact you walk outside and it’s raining and you quickly cover up, it can stand some water but doesn’t mean you can become a scuba diver, or play dunkin for toilets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 61
    danox said:
    It’s water resistant for incidental water contact you walk outside and it’s raining and you quickly cover up, it can stand some water but doesn’t mean you can become a scuba diver, or play dunkin for toilets.
    Schiller would disagree. They'll be fine even after a drop in the pool, or toilet as may be. 

His comments about water and other liquids begins at the 40:20 mark
    edited September 6 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamelijahgnubus
  • Reply 31 of 61
    I don’t have time to this myself, but I suspect some enlightenment could be derived by comparing the fine print on this subject for the Apple Watch and the iPhone, if someone wants to do it. 

The phone claims a level of water resistance. The watch is actually sold as something you can use while swimming. I suspect the difference in warranty language would shed light on what the phone’s warranty limitations are all about. 
    h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 61
    AppleZulu said:
    I don’t have time to this myself, but I suspect some enlightenment could be derived by comparing the fine print on this subject for the Apple Watch and the iPhone, if someone wants to do it. 

The phone claims a level of water resistance. The watch is actually sold as something you can use while swimming. I suspect the difference in warranty language would shed light on what the phone’s warranty limitations are all about. 
    Apple's Watch warranty, even for the Apple Watch Ultra, will not cover water damage. But what about AppleCare+? That covers damage due to "unexpected and unintentional events" which includes accidental contact with liquids, after paying a deductible.  Willfully wearing it in wet conditions may not be covered, so you wouldn't mention you intentionally went swimming with it.  
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254258623?sortBy=ran

You know the phrase "talk the talk, but not walk the walk"? 
    edited September 6 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 33 of 61
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member
    Ah found articles in Apple support that say you can swim in your AW Series 2 and later…

“From laps in a pool to a freestyle across open water, your Apple Watch Series 2 or later is ready for a swim with you.Apr 24, 2024”

——————-
    and: 
    “How to use Apple Watch in a swimming pool?

Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch. Turn the Digital Crown to Open Water Swim or Pool Swim. For Pool Swim workouts, set the pool length, then tap Start. When you're finished, press and hold the Digital Crown to unlock your Apple Watch, tap End, then tap End Workout.”

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/watch/apd09135915f/watchos#:~:text=Open%20the%20Workout%20app%20on,End%2C%20then%20tap%20End%20Workout.

elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61
    A friend dropped his iPhone 12 in a mop bucket and he immediately took it out but it was too late. It sucks but what can one do 🤷🏻‍♂️
    My iPhone 12 Mini came out of the pocket on my SUP’s seat and went into the sea. About an hour later the tide went out and a crab fisher found it. I got it back and it’s been fine ever since.

It’s funny how something can work for some but not for someone else. But that’s electronics
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 61
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,819member
    A friend dropped his iPhone 12 in a mop bucket and he immediately took it out but it was too late. It sucks but what can one do 🤷🏻‍♂️
    My iPhone 12 Mini came out of the pocket on my SUP’s seat and went into the sea. About an hour later the tide went out and a crab fisher found it. I got it back and it’s been fine ever since.

It’s funny how something can work for some but not for someone else. But that’s electronics
    Sometimes there are manufacturing defects. Those defects could cause a phone to be susceptible to water ingress when used in accordance with Apple's advertising. These defects are what the warranty is legally supposed to protect against - so that in case if something really does "work for some but not for someone else", Apple is obliged to rectify the problem.
    nubus
  • Reply 36 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    test test test
    Cloudfare? 
    Yup. ;)

For the last few days I've been unable to post because of the Cloudfare verification step, which is successful after hitting the post button, but sends me back to the post message dialog but it's now empty (message not posted) and Chrome unable to render the page correctly.

I've cleared cookies for the site, restarted, signed in and out etc but it's still broken somewhere. 
    MplsPmbenz1962
  • Reply 37 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    Signing out and in again before each post seems to work. 
    nubus
  • Reply 38 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    Signing out and in again before each post seems to work. 
    Send a message to the forum administrators. It means you've triggered some firewall rule they've put in place, but no way for you to know what it is. 
  • Reply 39 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    Something no one is mentioning is that Apple is not required to provide any warranty. As such, there is no “Right“ to any specific aspect of a warranty. The other point is that there is no such thing as a “waterproof” device. There are varying degrees of water resistance, but all of them have limits which is precisely why no manufacturer will warranty for water damage. There is no way to control for damage or other variables that are outside of the manufacturers’ control.

Apple has designed and tests the devices to meet a specific IPV standard. They have also provided a Warranty that Clearly and explicitly excludes water damage. I’m not sure how anyone can claim that Apple has not done exactly what they said they would do.

As an analogy, say, Ford shows an ad of its F150 pick up truck driving through mud and boulders. Now I take my pick up truck and drive it in a similar fashion, hit a boulder and break the axle. Do I have a right to sue Ford because they won’t cover the repair of the axle?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 61
    MplsP said:

As an analogy, say, Ford shows an ad of its F150 pick up truck driving through mud and boulders. Now I take my pick up truck and drive it in a similar fashion, hit a boulder and break the axle. Do I have a right to sue Ford because they won’t cover the repair of the axle?
    But if following their instructions to safely do so you damage your product, it's understandable that buyers might feel a bit of betrayal if the company's warranty won't stand behind what you were told was good to go. 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/102446# ;
    edited September 7