Apple Store shuts down ahead of iPhone 16 launch event

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 9

As expected the online Apple Store has been shut down, ahead of the launch of the iPhone 16 and other product lines.

Glowing, colorful, abstract Apple logo with text 'Be right back. We're making updates to the Apple Store. Check back soon.' on a black background.
The Apple Store's 'Be right back' message

Apple routinely takes down the online storefront in the hours ahead of a special event. With Apple's "It's Glowtime" event taking place on Monday, the store has again disappeared from view.

Customers attempting to access the storefront are greeted by the traditional "Be right back" message. They are also told that Apple is "making updates to the Apple Store," and to "check back soon."

The page also includes the usual heavily-stylized Apple logo, matching the upcoming event. The Apple Logo is animated, with cloudy neon-colored loops floating around a shifting apple.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the new multi-colored glowing effect of Siri, which is arriving as part of Apple Intelligence. It is expected that the iPhone 16 will include support for the software features across the board.

Apple will be revealing its product updates from 10 a.m. P.T., 1 p.m. E.T.

AppleInsider will be reporting on the announcements throughout the day.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    FYI, 10 PDT is 1 EDT 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ^^^^^ What he (or she) said! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ^^* I came to say the same thing. Somebody is apparently confused by time zones, lol. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I’m guessing someone was looking at a 24 hr clock and bungled the conversion since 13:00 is 1pm. 

bocaboywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yep, I think someone forgot to proof-read the post. Anyway, it's 1:00 EDT, not 13:00 hours.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    From my perspective, the iDevices aren’t nearly as interesting as they used to be. I’m much more interested in Macs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It’s still open for me 9:26 am EDT 
    Edit: the main page and learning pages works not the Buy sections. Although maybe I never noticed it but the iPhone 15 section on the main page isn’t labeled with the number.
    edited September 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    blastdoor said:
    From my perspective, the iDevices aren’t nearly as interesting as they used to be. I’m much more interested in Macs. 
    Well, look elsewhere today. No one (sane) is expecting any Mac announcements today. Generally speaking Mac announcements follow the iPhone announcement by several weeks.

For sure, in 2024 consumer electronics innovation is being driven by smartphones, the primary computing modality for consumers today. Computers -- while important -- haven't really been the driver of new computing innovation for 10+ years.

I have a Mac mini M2 Pro, a wonderful computer. It replaced a Mac mini 2018 (Intel Core i7) which itself was a replacement for a Mac mini 2010 server. But my current Mac mini is really just more of the same. And for sixteen years I also had Mac notebooks as well. But in the end, they are all just personal computers which is why the entire PC industry has stagnated.

Like so many I care about the "computer" I have around with me the most: my smartphone. And in many ways I find myself using my computer for a smaller range of tasks compared to 10-15 years ago. I use my computer to manage my music library (for my iPhone) but I don't listen to music anymore on PCs. There are tons of tasks I never do on my computer anymore. I don't pay my bills anymore on my Mac/PC. Whatever little social media consumption I do today is almost entirely done on my phone (the exact opposite in 2007).

With each passing month, there are fewer reasons to power up my computers (yes, I own both Macs and Windows PCs). Both my iPhones and iPads over the years have steadily gained a higher percentage of my eyeball time. The total amount of computing time has declined, probably because I can get what I need often way faster on my iPhone than my Mac. 
    edited September 9 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    10PT, 3ET. 
    Google, How do I math
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    mpantone said:

For sure, in 2024 consumer electronics innovation is being driven by smartphones, the primary computing modality for consumers today. Computers -- while important -- haven't really been the driver of new computing innovation for 10+ years.

I have a Mac mini M2 Pro, a wonderful computer. It replaced a Mac mini 2018 (Intel Core i7) which itself was a replacement for a Mac mini 2010 server. But my current Mac mini is really just more of the same. And for sixteen years I also had Mac notebooks as well. But in the end, they are all just personal computers which is why the entire PC industry has stagnated.
    The second paragraph contradicts the first. The move to apple silicon in the Mac was a much bigger change than anything that’s happened on the iPhone since maybe the iPhone 11 pro (with its three cameras). And the upgrades to apple silicon in the Mac since the initial changeover have been more meaningful than upgrades to apple silicon in the iPhone. 

The iPhone is fundamentally limited in functionality by its form factor. The Mac is a much more powerful tool for creating things, and has a lot more room to improve as a creative tool. 

I suspect most future improvements to the iPhone will actually be improvements to apple intelligence and mostly implemented in the cloud. 
    watto_cobra