The Observatory is Apple Park's picturesque new event space

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple has opened a new building as part of the Apple Park campus, with The Observatory being a subterranean venue for product demonstrations, including the iPhone 16..

Modern building with large window embedded in a hillside, surrounded by trees and a curved path with two people walking.
The outside view of Apple's new building, The Observatory [Dezeen]

Aside from the main building, visitors to Apple Park attending product launches will be familiar with the Steve Jobs Theater. However, a new building is being opened up to coincide with the "Glowtime" event that attendees will interact with for the first time with the iPhone 16.

Revealed in a series of photographs from Dezeen, The Observatory is Apple's latest construction effort. Taking the form of a subterranean building, the "contemplative space" will be used to demonstrate new products as part of launch events.

"When we built Apple Park, we wanted the entire campus to be seamlessly integrated into the landscape, and this building follows that same approach," said Apple global head of design (real estate and development), John De Maio.

Minimalist white room with curved wooden benches, circular skylights, a person sitting with a laptop, and two people standing and talking.
The entranceway to The Observatory [Dezeen]

While an underground building may give off evil lair vibes, the photographs of the building offer something completely different in tone.

Using natural stone, terrazzo, and wood, the building is entered through a large circular entrance hall. At the top is a three-meter-wide (9.8 feet) oculus that brings in light from outside.

Modern lobby with indoor trees in white planters, beige seating areas, wooden ceiling, and people walking or sitting, engaged in conversations.
Inside The Observatory's main space [Dezeen]

Visitors are then taken to a main event space, which has a terrace with a "portal-like opening" to Apple Park. Borrowing some of the Apple Store town square aesthetic, the space has lots of seating and potted trees.

The construction of The Observatory was very environmentally-minded throughout, including its 100-percent use of renewable energy. For its construction, around 90 trees were removed, but they were then replanted after the project had been completed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The light coming from the roof looks great only imagine watching it move with the sun
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    While I haven't yet been in this venue I always hesitate about these Apple architectural projects.

As far as I can tell, there's a lot of -- how do I put this? -- outright dismissal/ignorance for decent acoustics.

A lot of Apple Stores have horrible acoustics and now I realize it's a major reason why I can't willingly stay in an Apple Store more than 10-15 minutes. Too many hard surfaces, too many sharp angles, almost no textiles. Visually a lot of these Apple spaces are striking but the acoustical properties in these locations are appalling.

Note that I feel the same way about a lot of non-Apple locations including some horrific places that were designed for performances. Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall -- home to the San Francisco Symphony -- debuted with heavily flawed acoustics. I'm not singling out Apple here, it's just that a lot of these sites with modern aesthetics are atrocious for sound. Davies Hall was notorious in that many of the symphony musicians couldn't hear some of their fellow musicians because of the terrible sound on stage.

After a couple of renovations, the acoustics at Davies Hall is now acceptable but it will never be a world-class venue for sound.

I've just been in too many buildings like Apple Stores or modern-ish performing arts centers that suck acoustically.
    edited September 9 ruewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    XedXed Posts: 2,800member
    mpantone said:
    While I haven't yet been in this venue I always hesitate about these Apple architectural projects.

As far as I can tell, there's a lot of -- how do I put this? -- outright dismissal/ignorance for decent acoustics.

A lot of Apple Stores have horrible acoustics and now I realize it's a major reason why I can't willingly stay in an Apple Store more than 10-15 minutes. Too many hard surfaces, too many sharp angles, almost no textiles. Visually a lot of these Apple spaces are striking but the acoustical properties in these locations are appalling.

Note that I feel the same way about a lot of non-Apple locations including some horrific places that were designed for performances. Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall -- home to the San Francisco Symphony -- debuted with heavily flawed acoustics. I'm not singling out Apple here, it's just that a lot of these sites with modern aesthetics are atrocious for sound. Davies Hall was notorious in that many of the symphony musicians couldn't hear some of their fellow musicians because of the terrible sound on stage.

After a couple of renovations, the acoustics at Davies Hall is now acceptable but it will never be a world-class venue for sound.

I've just been in too many buildings like Apple Stores or modern-ish performing arts centers that suck acoustically.
    I agree with you. Visually they are great, but they are to be experienced in person, not in a photo/video, so a good designer should consider everything. It would be amazing if the could engineer a material or noise canceling technology that would allow the stores to be a more soothing experience.
    ruewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Xed said:
    mpantone said:

I agree with you. Visually they are great, but they are to be experienced in person, not in a photo/video, so a good designer should consider everything. It would be amazing if the could engineer a material or noise canceling technology that would allow the stores to be a more soothing experience.
    There are noise abating materials for architectural spaces. They're called textiles: carpet/rugs, drapes, wallpaper, and other fabric hangings. You can also use architectural elements and building design to break up large flat surfaces so the building isn't reflecting sound off of large walls. Architects have known about these for centuries. The acoustical shortcomings of these modern spaces is a step (or leap) back.

I'm really sorry to say this but the best way to (acoustically) experience an Apple Store is to put on a pair of AirPods Pro and enable active noise cancellation before stepping through the front door.

I really feel pity for the Apple Store workers who have to endure that acoustic hell for 8 hours. At some point companies will have to come to grips that a healthy workplace environment also includes the acoustics (much like air quality or workplace harassment). Hopefully it will not take Apple 20 years and a grassroots movement to understand this.
    muthuk_vanalingamrueapple4thewinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mpantone said:
    Hopefully it will not take Apple 20 years and a grassroots movement to understand this.
    You can also blame the unions at the unionized Apple stores if they don't decide to fight for it. If it's not important to the workers, then maybe it's not that important.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,439member
    mpantone said:
    Xed said:
    mpantone said:

There are noise abating materials for architectural spaces. They're called textiles: carpet/rugs, drapes, wallpaper, and other fabric hangings. You can also use architectural elements and building design to break up large flat surfaces so the building isn't reflecting sound off of large walls. Architects have known about these for centuries. The acoustical shortcomings of these modern spaces is a step (or leap) back.

I'm really sorry to say this but the best way to (acoustically) experience an Apple Store is to put on a pair of AirPods Pro and enable active noise cancellation before stepping through the front door.

I really feel pity for the Apple Store workers who have to endure that acoustic hell for 8 hours. At some point companies will have to come to grips that a healthy workplace environment also includes the acoustics (much like air quality or workplace harassment). Hopefully it will not take Apple 20 years and a grassroots movement to understand this.
    If the dome space is meant to be used for small to medium groups the curve and dome might be actually deliberate acoustic choices to allow clear conversation without amplifying any voice. Like a zen space for teams. The anti-online meeting space. 
    watto_cobra