Apple Watch Ultra 2 goes dark with a new black satin finish

Posted:
in Apple Watch

The Apple Watch Ultra 2 had a minor update during the Glowtime event, with the second-generation wearable gaining a new darker look and Hermes bands.

Smartwatch with a black band and large display showing time, heart rate, and activity icons, viewed from front and sides.
The new Apple Watch Ultra 2 colorway

Following the introduction of the Apple Watch Series 10, Apple brought out a small update to the Apple Watch Ultra 2. One concerning its appearance, not its specifications.

The new finish is a satin black, produced using a custom blasting process. As well as the casing, Apple has updated the rear sensor to use a dark zirconia back crystal.

To go with the casing Apple has also brought out a titanium Milanese Loop Band.

As well as the new color choice, Apple has also extended its partnership with Hermes to the Apple Watch Ultra, with new bands available for the model.

Pricing is unchanged at $799. Preorders start later on Monday, with availability of the new color on September 20.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That’s it?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Umm. Why? Why?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    entropys said:
    Umm. Why? Why?
    Because if they didn't mention it at all, everyone would be "Apple Watch Ultra is dead!" and they're probably planning an update for next year.

Or possibly because announcing a new finish for it may help boost sales. People who might have considered an Ultra, but not been sure about the single finish choice available. (You can criticise people like that all you like, but they exist. Whether they exist in numbers sufficient for Apple to make money off them remains to be seen. I'm guessing they've got market research that says "Yes".)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,439member
    anome said:
    entropys said:
    Umm. Why? Why?
    Because if they didn't mention it at all, everyone would be "Apple Watch Ultra is dead!" and they're probably planning an update for next year.

Or possibly because announcing a new finish for it may help boost sales. People who might have considered an Ultra, but not been sure about the single finish choice available. (You can criticise people like that all you like, but they exist. Whether they exist in numbers sufficient for Apple to make money off them remains to be seen. I'm guessing they've got market research that says "Yes".)
    Yes I’m one who is thinking ultra 2 in black and matching metal band. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    This is pretty weak on Apples part.  They could have at least updated the processor to be on par with the Series 10 and called it Ultra watch 2+ if they didn't want to go with a full Ultra watch 3 yet.  Now they are trying to sell their most expensive Apple watch will lower specs than the 10 with a color change.  I'm guessing they decided to give up competing with Garmin in the high end fitness market which is a shame because I love my Apple Watch Ultra.  
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I am one of the dumb people that bought it just because it comes in the new colour way. Granted I am upgrading from a regular Ultra Watch
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    mattinoz said:
    anome said:
    entropys said:
    Umm. Why? Why?

Yes I’m one who is thinking ultra 2 in black and matching metal band. 
    If I didn't buy one last year, I'd definitely be going for the black one this year. Certainly, when I get around to replacing this one, it will probably be black. If it's available.