Apple finally updates AirPods Max with USB-C

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 9

After almost four years, Apple has finally brought out a new pair of AirPods Max at its "Glowtime" event, this time updating it with USB-C.

Colorful over-ear headphones arranged in a concentric pattern with various headbands and ear cups visible against a white background.
The new color options of AirPods Max

A long-awaited update for Apple's premium personal audio option, the AirPods Max made an appearance during the September event. The second-generation headphones, surfacing almost four years after the original's launch, offers relatively few changes to the design.

Still a large pair of earphones with an aluminum and stainless steel construction, the new model is practically identical to the previous version.

Of the few changes made to the headphones, the Lightning connector has disappeared from the device. As part of Apple's continuing shift, the AirPods Max now relies on USB-C for physical data connections and recharging.

As part of the update, Apple's also introducing a range of new color options to the headset.

The refreshed AirPods Max will ship from September 20, and will cost consumers $549.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,037member
    WHAT is going on in Cupertino? Apple Watch Ultra abandoned without the chip or feature updates of Watch 10. And now Airpods Max is abandoned with 4-year-old technology and no update other than USB-C and additional colors... but no decrease in price, even though they're amortizing the hell out of APM. If the mission is to NOT sell new products, mission accomplished! 
    nubusmuthuk_vanalingamDaPaleRidergrandact73kdupuis77pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    nubusnubus Posts: 568member
    charlesn said:
    Airpods Max is abandoned with 4-year-old technology and no update other than USB-C and additional colors... 
    HomePod got relaunced in 2023 with the loss of 2 microphones, 2 tweeters, and Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 5.
    The new AirPods Max 2024 stayed with Bluetooth 5.0, H1, and... 2 cups!  It is almost an upgrade. Almost.
    DaPaleRider
  • Reply 3 of 14
    charlesn said:
    WHAT is going on in Cupertino? Apple Watch Ultra abandoned without the chip or feature updates of Watch 10. And now Airpods Max is abandoned with 4-year-old technology and no update other than USB-C and additional colors... but no decrease in price, even though they're amortizing the hell out of APM. If the mission is to NOT sell new products, mission accomplished! 
    Seriously, no H2 upgrade WTF Apple lol? Just kinda relieved in a way that I get to keep my AirPods Pro 2s and my cash for now at least haha.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    What a snooze fest! Could’ve saved us 2 hours and did a press announcement!
    DaPaleRiderpulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    This rather sad upgrade doesn’t bother me. I will never buy these because they are an extremely expensive, yet poor competition for their Sony and Bose rivals.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,037member
    entropys said:
    This rather sad upgrade doesn’t bother me. I will never buy these because they are an extremely expensive, yet poor competition for their Sony and Bose rivals.
    I always wonder how sad and depressing the life of someone has to be that they choose to spend their precious time posting to a comment board about a product in which they have no interest. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,559member
    Perhaps they had a lot of left over stock of APM and decided to simply change the port on them, rebox and sell as a new version? Doesn't matter, I'm happy with my APM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Interesting if the new usb c version can handle a usb-c audio feed over the cable instead of relying on Bluetooth for digital audio. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    charlesn said:
    entropys said:
    I always wonder how sad and depressing the life of someone has to be that they choose to spend their precious time posting to a comment board about a product in which they have no interest. 
    I would be very interested if its value proposition was decent. Put it down to expressing my existential angst about this product and what it could have been.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    charlesn said:
    entropys said:
    Low self-esteem is rough and  public posturing makes them feel better about themselves then by all means let them have it.  It's not like it causes anyone harm. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14

charlesn said:
    The Ultra 2 is getting or already has the added software features of the Watch 10. As far as the AirPods go, is this really that dissimilar to what Apple did with the AirPod Pros 1.5. They added USB-C and they worked with the AVP. That was it, same price and no new features. 

As for not selling new products, the Ultra 2 in black is already backordered into next month. So, one can assume that they have sold some new products.  So I assume you meant that "mission accomplished" in a George Bush kind of way. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    charlesn said:
    charlesn said:
    entropys said:
    Are you the same person who criticizes the latest Apple Watch release in the very first post in this thread AND criticize another OP for doing the exact same thing? Everything alright?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It’s a facelift… not update… 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Big disappointment for what are awesome headphones. For $549 - they’ve upgraded to USB-C and added a few extra colors - note you can buy swappable ear cup covers on AMZ in multiple colors. No chip or BT upgrade to “future proof” for another 2-3y. I could probably sell my existing APMx on FB Marketplace for $100, defraying cost to $449 or just give to my sister. So essentially, I’d pay $549 to simplify my life by having all my devices and MBP on USB-C getting rid of lightning forever which has been a huge annoying thorn in my side for years. I’m sure I’ll cave in for Xmas anyways since I’m a lemming. So many conflicting feelings about this. I guess user research isn’t a big part of product management.