AirPods Pro 2 will gain clinical-grade hearing aid features with update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 9

There aren't any new AirPods Pro, but Apple did announce new health-focused features for the second generation model that includes a hearing aid mode.

Smartphone screen displaying hearing aid setup instructions for AirPods Pro, with AirPods Pro case placed in front of the phone.
AirPods Pro 2 get hearing aid feature

The AirPods lineup was updated with a new fourth generation model, new AirPods Max, but the AirPods Pro weren't left out. Apple announced a software update that will add several hearing health-focused features to the existing AirPods Pro 2.

A new hearing test takes about five minutes and will help adjust audio output based on the user's results. This plays into the new hearing aid feature, which Apple calls "clinical grade" for moderate hearing loss.

FDA approval is pending, so the feature will roll out later in the fall. Only the AirPods Pro 2 will get the feature.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    This would be helpful
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Now this looks like the Apple of old - some real upgrades to the original. Hearing protection and hearing aid in one device plus the hearing test. Unlike their watches which I was hoping to upgrade to but won’t, this seems worth getting. 
    kdupuis77appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    Iermode said:
    This would be helpful

Yes it would, and add another over-the-counter product that a lot of people already have. Note that ALL approved OTC hearing aids are clinical grade as far as I know.  
    edited September 9
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    the only in-ear thing i can get to fit it the beats fit pro. kinda hope they get some of the features. the AirPods simply all fall out of my ears when i move.
    zeus423
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eightzero said:
    the only in-ear thing i can get to fit it the beats fit pro. kinda hope they get some of the features. the AirPods simply all fall out of my ears when i move.
    Buy foam tips from Amazon.
    appleinsideruserrezwits
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If AirPods is going to be a modern hearing aid and has Bluetooth 5.3, then add Auracast please!
    Pretty please!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I read that the "hearing aid mode" can apply an audiogram to your Airpods Pro output, so it can compensate for your hearing loss. I checked the Health.app and hey there is my audiogram from a recent test! I have moderate hearing loss in my left ear, I wondered how well it works.. this Apple Lossless High Resolution music is INCREDIBLE. I haven't heard music this clearly in decades.
    Now you can do the audiogram on any iPhone. It might not be a professional test by a licensed medical technician, but the sample screen looks like it might be a higher resolution test than my professional audiogram. 
    gregoriusmMacPro
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    I suspect this is the biggest sleeper of all the news.  A pair of hearing aids that are programmed to a users issues can cost a small fortune.  I predict that Apple over the next few years will do to the hearing aid industry what they have done to the watch industry.  The target market are the baby boomers to start with, one of if not the largest single group of people in the USA.  I have resisted dedicated programmed hearing aids for years now as I predicted Apple would enter this market.  Mine arrive tomorrow, and at $249 they are almost free compared to what others have paid for custom aids.  My best friend is still paying for his $4,000 set and they can't do anything other than help him hear.  Think of all the things AirPod Pros do in addition to that, and next year they'll probably do far more, such as heart monitoring.  

I also suspect the entire 'hearing' industry from those giving audiograms to manufacturers of those very expensive programmed hearing aids must be quaking in their boots.  I was recently in Switzerland, the home of the watch industry, a guide mentioned the top selling watches were still made there... "top selling after the Apple Watch that is," she added.   She was wearing an Apple Watch. 
    jellybellychasm
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    MacPro said:
    I suspect this is the biggest sleeper of all the news.  A pair of hearing aids that are programmed to a users issues can cost a small fortune.  I predict that Apple over the next few years will do to the hearing aid industry what they have done to the watch industry.  The target market are the baby boomers to start with, one of if not the largest single group of people in the USA.  I have resisted dedicated programmed hearing aids for years now as I predicted Apple would enter this market.  Mine arrive tomorrow, and at $249 they are almost free compared to what others have paid for custom aids.  My best friend is still paying for his $4,000 set and they can't do anything other than help him hear.  Think of all the things AirPod Pros do in addition to that, and next year they'll probably do far more, such as heart monitoring.  

I also suspect the entire 'hearing' industry from those giving audiograms to manufacturers of those very expensive programmed hearing aids must be quaking in their boots.  I was recently in Switzerland, the home of the watch industry, a guide mentioned the top selling watches were still made there... "top selling after the Apple Watch that is," she added.   She was wearing an Apple Watch. 
    There are big differences between a custom fit and sound-adjusted set of prescription hearing aids, and over-the-counter hearing assistance ones. The latter are fine if you can find a good fit, you don't expect to use them all day, and your hearing loss isn't too bad yet. My wife uses a set and they're OK, although she had to try a couple of different ones to find some that are comfortable for a few hours. But they are not meant for severe hearing loss, customizing the fit for all-day comfort, or being relatively unnoticeable.
    edited September 10 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

There are big differences between a custom fit and sound-adjusted set of prescription hearing aids, and over-the-counter hearing assistance ones. The latter are fine if you can find a good fit, you don't expect to use them all day, and your hearing loss isn't too bad yet. My wife uses a set and they're OK, although she had to try a couple of different ones to find some that are comfortable for a few hours. But they are not meant for severe hearing loss, customizing the fit for all-day comfort, or being relatively unnoticeable.
    It's early days, hopefully, Apple can improve on this; after all, they offer prescription lenses for Vision Pro by patnering.  It is not inconceivable that Apple could partner with a third party for the custom fit side of things, and the rest of us (like me) with hearing issues I can live with most of the time but will happily use AirPod Pros in the meantime.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,492member
    I am not suffering any abnormal/perceptible hearing loss as of yet (one naturally loses a bit as one ages), but I really appreciate this move by Apple on behalf of everyone that does have mild hearing loss. I’ve heard from my older friends how much “hearing aids” cost, and the figures are — to me — outrageous.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I use my Airpods Pro way more than I expected to. At least a couple of times a day, primarily for phone calls and for watching youtube on my desktop and my iPad. Plus listening to music. They don't hold a charge quite as well as they used to, but continue to work well.

After watching the Apple event on Monday, the hearing protection and hearing enhancement features seem like things that would be good to have. Living on a farm I often need hearing protection, and have to remember to carry it with me; but I pretty much always have my Airpods. My hearing is still pretty good, but the enhancements of v2 seemed worthwhile having. So I found a discounted price for the APP2 on Amazon and ordered a set.