Sleep apnea detection is the most impactful upgrade to the Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch

Sleep apnea is estimated to affect more than one billion people worldwide and is linked to a decline in cardiac function, an increased risk for diabetes, and an overall lower quality of life -- here's how the Apple Watch hopes to fix that.

Sleep apnea is a highly prevalent yet severely undiagnosed disorder in which a person experiences repetitive pauses in breathing or excessively shallow breathing while sleeping.

Sleep apnea is typically diagnosed as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or central sleep apnea (CSA). OSA is caused when the airway becomes obstructed. Obstructions can be caused by any number of factors, including obesity, back sleeping, a narrow airway, allergies, enlarged tonsils, and many more.

CSA is when the brain fails to regulate one's breathing rate, which can cause the affected person to miss one or more sleeping cycles.

If left untreated, sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and heart problems. It also results in excessive daytime sleepiness, leading to slower reaction times and increasing the risk of falls and motor vehicle accidents.

Typically, sleep apnea is diagnosed via a sleep study, requiring a person to sleep in a clinic overnight and be monitored by professionals. Not only is this inconvenient or outright impossible for certain individuals, it is also expensive. Sleep studies are often not covered by insurance and can cost well over $1000.

Breathing Disturbances tracked on Apple Watch

That's why Apple has added a new metric to the list of metrics the Apple Watch tracks, called Breathing Disturbances.

Breathing Disturbances uses the accelerometer to detect small movements at the wrist associated with interruptions to normal respiratory patterns during sleep.

Every 30 days, Apple Watch will analyze breathing disturbance data and notify users if it shows consistent signs of moderate to severe sleep apnea so they can speak to their doctor and formulate a treatment plan.

According to Apple, the Apple Watch sleep apnea notification algorithm was developed using advanced machine learning and an extensive data set of clinical-grade sleep apnea tests. The feature was then validated in a clinical study. In the clinical validation study, every participant identified by the algorithm had at least mild sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea detection is coming to the Apple Watch Series 10, Apple Watch Series 9, and the Apple Watch Ultra 2, and will roll out in September to more than 150 countries.

Researchers have been using the Apple Watch for sleep apnea detection for the better portion of a decade.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,436member
    The sleep apnea feature was a totally snoozer. zzzzzzzzz
    sherwinzadeh
  • Reply 2 of 9
    The sleep apnea feature was a totally snoozer. zzzzzzzzz
    That’s very unkind to people with the condition. Clearly you are a selfish twat. 
    StrangeDaysdavendewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    A fair attempt at humour. Maybe dial down the insults?
    gatorguyflydogmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    davendaven Posts: 713member
    I was just notified by my AppleWatch 3 that it is running out of memory. Years of tracking my walks, etc. filled up the storage. Guess I’ll be testing for sleep apnea with my new watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,475member
    Millions will learn to find that they have apnea thanks to Apple tools. 

A lot of people don't raelize that they have it until they're told by someone else or confirmed by diagnostic tools.

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,650member
    netrox said:

A lot of people don't realize that they have it until they're told by someone else or confirmed by diagnostic tools.

Yes indeed. It took me several years of feeling like somebody kicked the crap out of me every morning before I was tested and confirmed to have sleep apnea. Chances are high that if you snore or have a large neck you are at risk of obstructive sleep apnea. This is not a condition to be ignored. If you do not sleep well your life will basically suck.

I hope Apple Watch users enable this feature (if it needs to be enabled) and consult with their doctors. The biggest issue with sleep apnea once it is diagnosed is compliance with the therapy. If you end up needing PAP therapy make sure you insist on getting fitted with a machine and mask that you are totally comfortable with. Don't let anyone tell you what to you should be using and don't be afraid to try different options until you find something you are comfortable with. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    netrox said:

A lot of people don't raelize that they have it until they're told by someone else or confirmed by diagnostic tools.

I know I've personally been living in denial, despite my brother and now my father both being diagnosed with it. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I mean, maybe I'm right, and I don't have it...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dewme said:
    netrox said:

A lot of people don't realize that they have it until they're told by someone else or confirmed by diagnostic tools.

Yes indeed. It took me several years of feeling like somebody kicked the crap out of me every morning before I was tested and confirmed to have sleep apnea. Chances are high that if you snore or have a large neck you are at risk of obstructive sleep apnea. This is not a condition to be ignored. If you do not sleep well your life will basically suck.

I hope Apple Watch users enable this feature (if it needs to be enabled) and consult with their doctors. The biggest issue with sleep apnea once it is diagnosed is compliance with the therapy. If you end up needing PAP therapy make sure you insist on getting fitted with a machine and mask that you are totally comfortable with. Don't let anyone tell you what to you should be using and don't be afraid to try different options until you find something you are comfortable with. 
    Been using a CPAP machine for over a decade, I sleep like a baby. Eight hours nonstop, sleeping.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    One option is to use mouth tape. Less fuss than CPAP and a friend says she prefers it and it works as well for her. It’s way easier.
    watto_cobra