Compared: AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2 -- ANC without ear tips could tip the scales

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 11

The new AirPods 4 come in two models with different features, which may draw some users away from AirPods Pro 2. Here's how they compare.

AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2
AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2

Active Noise Cancellation, Transparency mode, and Adaptive Audio have been pro-only features on AirPods until now. The more expensive AirPods 4 with ANC are very appealing compared to AirPods Pro 2, but they don't cover all the bases.

AirPods Pro 2 were released in 2022 with 2x improved ANC and the new Adaptive Transparency feature. While both the AirPods 4 and AirPods Pro 2 use the H2 chipset, they don't have the same level of ANC.

The new chipset does afford it new features like the nod or head shake for responding to Siri. Plus, Apple Vision Pro users get the H2-to-H2 connection for Lossless audio with ultra-low latency.

Here's how the different earbuds compare.

AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2- specs

Specifications AirPods Pro 2 AirPods 4 w/ ANC AirPods 4
Price $249
Best sale price
$179 $129
Weight (ounces) 0.19 (earbud)
1.79 (case)
0.15 (earbud)
1.22 (case)
0.15 (earbud)
1.14 (case)
Chipset H2 H2 H2
Active Noise Cancellation 2x ANC ANC
None
Conversation Awareness Yes Yes No
Hearing test & aid Yes (coming fall 2024) No No
Charging USB-C, MagSafe, Qi USB-C, Qi USB-C
Connectivity Bluetooth 5.3 Bluetooth 5.3 Bluetooth 5.3
Find My in Case With U1 & speaker Speaker None
Battery Life 20 hours with ANC
30 hours without ANC
20 hours with ANC
30 hours without ANC
30 hours
Fast Charging 1.5 hours from 5 minutes 1.5 hours from 5 minutes
Controls Swipe & Force Sensor Force Sensor Force Sensor
Other Sensing Skin-detect sensor
Motion-detecting
Speech-detecting
Optical in-ear sensor
Motion-detecting
Speech-detecting
Optical in-ear sensor
Motion-detecting
Speech-detecting

AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2 - design

AirPods 4 have two products with identical designs. The case is smaller than the AirPods 3, but otherwise, the design is mostly unchanged.

A person wearing AirPods 4 against an orange background
AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2: AirPods 4 have the same design as AirPods 3

The features differ between the AirPods 4 with or without ANC, but the stubby stems and bulbous heads are identical. A speaker grill on the more expensive ANC version's case is a giveaway for that model.

The tiny white case with glossy plastic continues to be Apple's iconic external case design. An LED is visible for pairing or battery indication.

The earbuds for the AirPods 4 have visible speaker and microphone grills around the head and at the base of the stem. The shiny metallic portion at the base of the stem is for charging.

AirPods Pro 2 share all of these design elements, but the tip has a connector for ear tips. It comes with multiple sizes of ear tips that are inserted into the user's ear canal.

No AirPods model was able to offer ANC without ear tips until now. The tips are a problem for some people and simply don't fit or cause discomfort, so ANC without tips is a big deal for those users.

The AirPods Pro 2 Charging Case includes a lanyard loop.

AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2 - features

AirPods Pro 2 and AirPods 4 with ANC both have ANC, Adaptive Audio, Transparency Mode, and Conversation Awareness. The low-end AirPods 4 have none of those features.

Internals of AirPods 4 shown in an X-ray-like image
AirPods 4 vs AirPods Pro 2: The H2 chip makes AirPods 4 have many similar features to AirPods Pro

One of the biggest distinguishing features for AirPods Pro 2 vs AirPods 4, for now, is the newly announced hearing test, aid, and protection update. Users will be able to turn their AirPods into clinical-grade hearing aids without buying a new product.

The charging case gets power over USB-C and provides about 30 hours of non-ANC listening on all three models being compared. Switch on ANC on the two models with the feature, and that rating dips to 20 hours.

Each of the charging cases offers different charging methods. AirPods Pro 2 are MagSafe compatible, while AirPods 4 with ANC have a wireless charging case. The lower-end AirPods 4 have USB-C only.

The earbuds themselves have about 5 hours of listening for both AirPods 4 models. AirPods Pro 2 have 6 hours of listening time.

Where to buy AirPods 4 and AirPods Pro 2

AirPods Pro 2 are on sale now, with Apple resellers dropping prices regularly to under $200. You can find the latest AirPods prices in our Price Guide.

At press time, Amazon is cutting the price to $199 for model MTJV3LL/A, a discount of $50 off MSRP.

Stay tuned for AirPods deals on AirPods 4 as retailers begin stocking the earbuds.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Might as well get the cheaper ones without the tips then. Both styles fall out of my ears, so I don't see much of a difference. I'm not sure why Apple only sells different sizes of tips instead of also offering different styles of tips that maybe wouldn't fall out of my ears.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Not sure who needs to hear this but the spec comparison chart I just realized was a chart for the first time after viewing comments. In the main article in Safari on iPhone 14pro with iOS 17, the “chart” shows as a vertical text list. It’s been like this every time one of these comparison charts has been used. For some reason it looks correct if you click on comments. I always wondered why the specs were listed in such a weird way. 
    damn_its_hotAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 88unconfirmed, member
    ANC without needing ear tips, which I hate because they’re extremely uncomfortable and always fall
    out no matter how many shapes and sizes I try, has been my dream feature for forever. Call me vanilla but I just don’t like sticking things in my orifices lol. Glad ANC on regular old earphones is finally possible. 
    edited September 9 damn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ANC without needing ear tips, which I hate because they’re extremely uncomfortable and always fall
    out no matter how many shapes and sizes I try, has been my dream feature for forever. Call me vanilla but I just don’t like sticking things in my orifices lol. Glad ANC on regular old earphones is finally possible. 
    I believe you that they are uncomfortable for you, but I don't believe you that earplug style earbuds would fall out of your ears. You would pull them out because you don't like them, but they wouldn't "fall out." Of course it's not an issue because the regular AirPods work for you. Unfortunately they don't work for everybody.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,650member
    cygnus23 said:
    Not sure who needs to hear this but the spec comparison chart I just realized was a chart for the first time after viewing comments. In the main article in Safari on iPhone 14pro with iOS 17, the “chart” shows as a vertical text list. It’s been like this every time one of these comparison charts has been used. For some reason it looks correct if you click on comments. I always wondered why the specs were listed in such a weird way. 
    It’s been like that for as long as I can recall. If you turn your phone into landscape orientation these charts will appear as intended outside of the comments.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,037member
    Hmmmm... ANC without eartips. Count me skeptical until the reviews are in. That means there's virtually no passive attenuation of sound happening, it's all up to the ANC, which would seem very challenging. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    charlesn said:
    Hmmmm... ANC without eartips. Count me skeptical until the reviews are in. That means there's virtually no passive attenuation of sound happening, it's all up to the ANC, which would seem very challenging. 
    I have four sets of Huawei earbuds (different models) with ANC, both with and without tips. 

You'll obviously get better noise isolation (and therefore better ANC performance) with the tips but on the models without the tips the noise reduction is noticeable but it's not going to match the buds with tips.

Via Huawei's device management app I have the option to 'tune' the noise cancelation to my hearing via an onscreen dial so that, within its possibilities, I can choose the sweet spot as it were for whatever kind of noise I'm dealing with.

Obviously for the open ear models it works best with constant noise of the same kind. 

More modern models have the adaptive noise cancelation that can automatically try to switch modes depending on changes in noise around you. 

I'm in the group that with tips or not, they don't stay in so I'm restricted to using them with little movement. At home or on public transport and bars etc. 

I might get the clip style buds soon that are said to be so comfortable you just forget you're wearing them but they are literally directing sound into your ear without being inserted and stay put. 

By design they let the outside world in and use a kind of noise cancelation to help reduce whatever you are listening to from annoying people around you. Perfect for urban movement where you need to be more aware of your surroundings. 

As a result, there is no one size fits all solution but it's nice that AirPods users now have a new option. 

You're right to be skeptical though until reviews are in. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I suspect Apple is about to enter the hearing aid market, one that is both huge and ripe for disruption. I’m thinking late 2025 or early 2026. These new hearing aid capabilities are a test of the market and what Apple can bring to that market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jackreidy said:
    I suspect Apple is about to enter the hearing aid market, one that is both huge and ripe for disruption. I’m thinking late 2025 or early 2026. These new hearing aid capabilities are a test of the market and what Apple can bring to that market.
    They just have.
    damn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Meanwhile I haven't been able to use the prior buds and pods from Apple bc the basic ones fall out of my ears. The pros eventually start slipping some but they stay in much better and the different tips help a lot in comparison. I'll just wait for the 2's to be on a decent sale or for 3s to show up
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Try cleaning your ears - I have never found Apple buds or even the ones they used to throw in for 🆓 LOL. I’ve tried every model Apple’s made & never found any that fit worth a sh*t! Think I will stick with my over ear Bose phone’s for now until Apple can come up with a design that doesn’t look like a purse.