Apple speeds up iPhone 16 USB-C charging with 45W upgrade

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 12

With the right AC adapter and cable, the iPhone 16 will recharge much faster over USB-C than the iPhone 15, with all 2024 models able to charge at up to 45 Watts.

Five smartphones display various apps and notifications, including messages, a TV show suggestion, an email draft, and a lock screen with the time 9:41 and date September 9.
iPhone 16

During Monday's "Glowtime" Apple Event, it was revealed that the MagSafe charging of the iPhone 16 range was upgraded to run at 25W. It now seems Apple updated the wired charging capabilities as well.

According to a Weibo post spotted by serial leaker ShrimpApplePro, all of the iPhone 16 models are capable of charging at up to 45W when using a USB-C connection. The charging rate was found in reports from the China Quality Certification Center, discussing the batteries in use.

At 45W, this is considerably more than the recharging options offered by the iPhone 15 Pro models, which could manage about 25W in testing over USB-C.

Apple doesn't publicly specify how its iPhones charge over a cable, aside from mentioning the fast-charging option. As usual, Apple says the iPhone can recharge from empty to 50% in around 30 minutes when used with a 20W or higher adapter using USB-C.

For 2024, this line also mentions that the fast charging also works on MagSafe with a 30W adapter.

The upshot for consumers is that the iPhone 16 family of devices will be able to take advantage of being plugged into chargers with higher wattages, at least to 45W.

Read on AppleInsider

kurai_kage

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Knowing Apple, 45W charging will require an overpriced proprietary Apple charger and "special" cable.  
  • Reply 2 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Knowing Apple, 45W charging will require an overpriced proprietary Apple charger and "special" cable.  
    Unfortunately, that would be very Apple. 

Any increase is to be welcomed, but for the price of an iPhone, charging speeds have always lacked and even with this increase they still lack. 

More drip feeding. 

It's incredible too that the screen refresh rate on the base model is also woefully behind.

• Reply 3 of 8
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The current cable in the box supports up to 60W
    mike1kurai_kageFidonet127chiadewmejroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Rather dim take, considering nothing like that exists in current iPhone charging -- go onto Amazon and you can buy a million different PD chargers and cables. It's an open standard. 

When it comes to MagSafe, that achieved faster charging rates than Qi due to better engineering. And thankfully, they released those improvements to enable Qi to do the same.

So yeah, not a bright take by either of you.
    edited September 12 Fidonet127chiadewmejroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Rather dim take, considering nothing like that exists in current iPhone charging -- go onto Amazon and you can buy a million different PD chargers and cables. It's an open standard. 

When it comes to MagSafe, that achieved faster charging rates than Qi due to better engineering. And thankfully, they released those improvements to enable Qi to do the same.

So yeah, not a bright take by either of you.
    Wasn't Qi already on route to faster speeds without Apple being involved? 

Yes, of course it was. 

Apple was very late to wireless charging (no surprises there) and their engineering for faster speeds has always been behind others (and remains so even under Qi2). No surprises there either.

My guess is that Apple offering Magsafe to a standards consortium had more to do with regulatory considerations. And it seems they got more influence over authentication decisions too. Something Apple wants in on as there is monetisation to be had with that. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ITGUYINSD said:

I’d rather slower charging as fast charging will fry your battery. Just a matter of physics that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lukei said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

I’d rather slower charging as fast charging will fry your battery. Just a matter of physics that.
    I have had fast charging phones since 2015. Never once had battery issues in spite of really abusing the charging on those phones.

Current phone charges with a 66W charger. 

The only battery related issue at home was with a slow charging iPhone 6 that needed a battery swap. 

Modern fast charging will not fry anything if engineered correctly. 

Technically you might be getting a smidgen of less battery life but nothing to worry about in real world terms. 

The fast charging itself far outweighs any life expectancy issues. A few minutes on the charger will give you enough juice to get you where you need to be. 

Battery swap for my current phone is 29€ during promotional 'service months'. 

I will add that I live in an area prone to very hot and humid conditions. 

• Reply 8 of 8
    I just wish there was a wireless 3-in-1 charging stand that supported the faster charging for iPhone 16 and Watch 10. Everything currently on the market, even on the Apple Store is all for the old iPhone 15 and Watch 9 standards. It seems Apple didn’t share the new charging capabilities with 3rd parties before the announcement.