Preorders for iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro have begun

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 13

After about a three-hour downtime, the Apple Store is back online and preorders have started for the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro.

Four iPhones in black, silver, white, and gold, arranged in a row showcasing their rear triple-camera systems and Apple logos.
Apple's iPhone 16 Pro range

While the Apple Watch Series 10 preorders began on the day of the "It's Glowtime" event, they were paused with the Apple Store online being taken down earlier on September 13, 2024. Similarly, orders for the existing "natural" color version of the Apple Watch Ultra were paused, and have now resumed alongside the new black edition.

As ever, local availability of preorders is varying depending on your location and Apple's local content delivery network rollouts. AppleInsider can confirm that preorders have begun.

If the store is not available to you through a browser or through the iOS Apple Store app, try reloading or relaunching it. There can be a delay of several minutes before all areas have access to the store again.

Going by traditional trends, expect to find that the greatest demand in the first few minutes of preorders is for the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max.

Buyers who are able to get in the first orders can expect them to be shipped by September 20. It's the same date for the whole iPhone 16 range and the new Apple Watch Ultra 2.

Despite the earlier start to preorders for the Apple Watch Series 10, that, too, will be shipping from September 20.

Note, too, that Apple is far from the only place selling the new devices -- and other vendors are certain have either better deals, or outright better prices.

• AT&T Wireless - Get up to $1,000 off iPhone 16 models at AT&T with an eligible trade*

• Verizon Wireless - Get an iPhone 16 on Verizon with the Unlimited Ultimate plan and trade*

• Boost Mobile on Amazon - Get up to $1,000 off with no trade-in required*

• Visible - Get up to $360 in monthly credits when you join Visible and buy an iPhone 16 Pro*

• Terms and conditions apply. Please see site for details.

Plus if you have an existing iPhone or Apple Watch, there are many trade-in deals to be found. Currently, for instance, BuyBackWorld is offering a 16% bonus (capped at $45) on trades valued at $30 or more with promo code INSIDER16.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Painless preorder process for Apple Upgrade Program,. App didn't make me wait long. Didn't stutter. No need to start over. Over and done in less than a minute.

Then again, they have had decades of practice.... ;)
    kdupuis77siretmanBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hmlongco said:
    Painless preorder process for Apple Upgrade Program,. App didn't make me wait long. Didn't stutter. No need to start over. Over and done in less than a minute.

Ditto!       I did find it odd that the carriers aren't having anything different to offer from Apple's options this time around.   

cbrookerkdupuis77
  • Reply 3 of 20
    The pre-order prep process in app was very nice. Once it was time it took a few minutes for it to bring me in, then it was a snap. 

Only thing that irks me is Apple Card monthly installments are artificially limited to the big carriers for no logical reason. If you want unlocked (for Mint Mobile) you need to buy at full-price. 
    edited September 13 kdupuis77
  • Reply 4 of 20
    After skipping iPhone updates for the past 2 years, I ordered the iPhone 16 Pro Max 1TB Natural Titanium model. The pre-orders started about 10 minutes after the scheduled time, but the process was smooth.

I reverted to using the iPhone XS Max for about 6 months and then went back to my 12 Pro Max for the past 2 months. So, despite the complaints of a lacklustre update from certain quarters, I am really excited. The phone is scheduled to be delivered on 20th Sep!

Bart Y
  • Reply 5 of 20
    emoeller said:
    hmlongco said:

Ditto!       I did find it odd that the carriers aren't having anything different to offer from Apple's options this time around.   

Ditto also, 1TB, Pro Max. 
    Bart Y
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Nicely done Apple, as it is evident you have improved your online ordering technology.  At 0804 I was in via the IDme/Vets discount portal and got exactly what I wanted with a 20 Sep delivery date.  Checkout was completed at 0805 and at 0807 I had my order confirmation via Apple Mail.  Easy as pie!
    80s_Apple_GuyBart Y
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,388member
    emoeller said:
    hmlongco said:

Yes. They did. AT&T was offering $1,000 for my 12Pro. Apple was only allowing $220 I believe.
    Ordered through the Apple site with the AT&T plan. Simple and painless.
    pulseimagesBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Wow, trade in values of my iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max were silently slashed by $100 on the day of preorder. Shady as fuck, Apple.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 9 of 20
    The pre-order prep process in app was very nice. Once it was time it took a few minutes for it to bring me in, then it was a snap. 

Only thing that irks me is Apple Card monthly installments are artificially limited to the big carriers for no logical reason. If you want unlocked (for Mint Mobile) you need to buy at full-price. 
    As long as you don’t choose AT&T or Boost as the phone carrier the phone you receive is unlocked. Then during setup you can either transfer your eSIM or use the carrier’s app to install a new eSIM.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 20
    T-Mobile has had a complete meltdown. Whether trying to get carrier deal through Apple site (cannot connect to carrier) or on the native app using upgrade a line option where you get all the pay to payment processing where it fails “one or more of our systems experiencing problems”. I ended up buying outright with trade in on Apple two unlocked phones as we consider moving carriers after this huge fail. 
    Bart Y
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ocropper said:
    T-Mobile has had a complete meltdown. Whether trying to get carrier deal through Apple site (cannot connect to carrier) or on the native app using upgrade a line option where you get all the pay to payment processing where it fails “one or more of our systems experiencing problems”. I ended up buying outright with trade in on Apple two unlocked phones as we consider moving carriers after this huge fail. 
    Other than this instance how’s your T-Mobile experience been?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,038member

The big carrier phones, when ordered from Apple, will come with that carrier's esim pre-loaded, but they are also unlocked, with the exception of AT&T, which is locked for the first 60 dsys. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 20
    charlesn said:

The big carrier phones, when ordered from Apple, will come with that carrier's esim pre-loaded, but they are also unlocked, with the exception of AT&T, which is locked for the first 60 dsys. 
    I think they're locked for the term of the financing/trade deal, if utilized. In my case 36 months.

• Reply 14 of 20
    Set up my preorder ahead of time earlier this week. Logged in at 5am Pacific and completed my order for the 16 Pro in less than 15 seconds. Great experience this time. Kudos to Apple for being able to set up everything but checkout ahead of time. T-Mobile
    edited September 13
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ocropper said:
    Other than this instance how’s your T-Mobile experience been?
    Other than today it’s been generally great. Very few wide outages and good coverage except way out in the boonies. 
    Bart Y
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mike1 said:
    emoeller said:
    hmlongco said:

Yes. They did. AT&T was offering $1,000 for my 12Pro. Apple was only allowing $220 I believe.
    Mmm, Apple only offered me $340 for my 13P with Verizon equalling that.   Unfortunately where I live only Verizon provides service (believe me I really tried to get T-Mobile working out here).  I ended up NOT trading in a my old 13P as I have plenty of folks I can donate that will change their lives...
    Bart YAlex_V
  • Reply 17 of 20

As long as you don’t choose AT&T or Boost as the phone carrier the phone you receive is unlocked. Then during setup you can either transfer your eSIM or use the carrier’s app to install a new eSIM.
    Well that’s good to know. Have you done this before? I haven’t. So if Imwere to select T-Mobile and check out, it doesn’t require verification that I really do have an account with them?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    emoeller said:
    mike1 said:
    emoeller said:
    hmlongco said:

Mmm, Apple only offered me $340 for my 13P with Verizon equalling that.   Unfortunately where I live only Verizon provides service (believe me I really tried to get T-Mobile working out here).  I ended up NOT trading in a my old 13P as I have plenty of folks I can donate that will change their lives...

Verizon is offering $999 for your 13P. Need to select carrier financing. Tried to attach a screen shot, but the site wouldn't let me.
  • Reply 19 of 20

Well that’s good to know. Have you done this before? I haven’t. So if Imwere to select T-Mobile and check out, it doesn’t require verification that I really do have an account with them?
    It worked for me when I last upgraded (iPhone 13) but I checked with Apple Support before I preordered and they confirmed that the Verizon and T-Mobile ones came with unlocked eSIMs if using the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program (not sure about Apple iPhone Payment plans though). But no need to enter account information or anything. I bought a Verizon version because I am using Visible, which is a Verizon subsidiary. 

Boost is locked for 60 days I believe, and the AT&T version I saw different things for how long it is locked so I ruled it out completely.
    edited September 13
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I live in a Chicago suburb, so for me preorders started at 7:00 AM.

By 7:01 AM I was able to get into the Apple store at which time I was placed into a waiting room which told me to wait a few minutes until I could place my order.

I did as they asked and sure enough, about a minute later I was presented with an option to review my already established preorder (a 16 Pro Max 512 GB Natural Titanium with a clear case, outright purchase unlocked with Applecare+ with theft and loss monthly) and I pulled the trigger on a purchase using my Apple Card.

I was done by 7:05 AM.