Any Firewire 800 stuff yet?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Hmm... interesting... 'cause I don't think I've seen video cameras with a 6 pin FW output. Has anyone?

it would be nice if they charged through f/w... but i doubt that would happen... and it would be the only reason to have a 6pin cable... so who cares?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    nope no video cameras that have the 6pin connector I think it would be cooler if apple just did a 4 and 6 pin on their machines just so we have both anyhow. But no we don't get to be that lucky...
  • Reply 23 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

nope no video cameras that have the 6pin connector I think it would be cooler if apple just did a 4 and 6 pin on their machines just so we have both anyhow. But no we don't get to be that lucky...

Why would we be 'lucky' to have a 4-pin connector on our hardware? 4-pin FireWire is no different than 6-pin other than the fact that t doesn't carry power. The smaller connector is flimsier and impossible to orient. Why would we penalize ourselves with an unpowered FireWire port?

Apple is vehemently against the use of 4-pin FireWire in its own products and in its developer's products. They tell you not to use it...EVER.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    id rather have a 4 and a 6 then just one 6... (think laptop)

also i have 2 4-6 cables that came with my old imacs and only one 6-6 cable that came with my iPod, it would be nice to be able to use the 4-6 cables for other things....
  • Reply 25 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

id rather have a 4 and a 6 then just one 6... (think laptop)

also i have 2 4-6 cables that came with my old imacs and only one 6-6 cable that came with my iPod, it would be nice to be able to use the 4-6 cables for other things....

If you're going to be adding a port, why not just add another 6-pin port? It doesn't take THAT much space. 4-pin FireWire was a dumb idea to begin with...it shouldn't be spared now.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

so are you one of those that still wish that apple made floppy drives in their macs even though hardly anybody uses them anymore. do you know that you would pay about $80 more for a computer with a floppy in it.I for one do not wish to pay more for a new mac that has a 4pin port in it who's sole purpose will be to irritate me. 4 pin firewire is and always has been lame. I say let it die. You can get a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter if you have to.

if you are going to add a port. add a firewire 800 along with the 400.