AirPods 4 review roundup: noise cancellation is a game changer

Posted:
in iOS edited September 16

Across the board, every review so far of the new AirPods 4 has concentrated on how remarkably good Active Noise Cancellation is.

Two wireless earbuds inside an open charging case with a visible green light indicator.
AirPods 4

The first review of Apple's new AirPods 4 are out, and while there are some qualifications and some disagreements, every single reviewer has called out Apple for surprisingly great noise cancellation. They also all note that that while the extra $50 for the more expensive version is worth it, Apple has now made it harder to choose between models.

To be clear, Apple has released two versions of the AirPods 4 at $129 and $179. Neither will have the health features that are coming to the updated AirPods Pro, but they do both have improved sound.

The physical design of both editions is the same and in general reviewers are praising the in-ear fit of the models as at least being better than the previous model.

But it's the $179 AirPods 4 with Active Noise Cancellation that has got most attention.

CNET

"I was really impressed with the noise canceling," wrote David Carnoy for CNET. "The reality is that it's not that great compared with what you get with the AirPods Pro 2 and top noise-canceling earbuds like the Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds or the Sony WF-1000XM5.

"But that it works at all and is reasonably effective is kind of wild because, as I said, noise canceling and open earbuds usually aren't a good mix," he continued. "I'd say the noise canceling is a little less than half as good as what you get with the AirPods Pro, which also provide some passive noise isolation with their ear tips."

"But again, that the noise canceling worked as well as it did seems like a major technological feat," concludes Carnoy, in a review headlined "the noise canceling really is a game changer."

PC Magazine

"The Apple AirPods 4 deliver strong sound quality and the best active noise cancellation we've experienced in an open-ear design," wrote Tim Gideon in PC Magazine. "This is an impressive technical feat, considering that they don't seal off your ear canal... letting in more exterior sound as a result."

"In addition to the best noise cancellation we've experienced in an open-ear design," continued Gideon, "the AirPods 4 deliver rich sound, advanced adaptive audio features, and tight iPhone integration."

Gideon did have one criticism about the new head gestures that mean you should be able to nod or shake your head in response to notifications from Siri.

"In practice, although it works, these gestures must be a bit more dramatic than is natural, so you risk looking like a weirdo in public," he wrote. "However, Siri is supposed to learn from your movement over time... [so eventually] it's possible you won't have to move your head quite so much."

The Verge

Chris Welch from The Verge disagrees about the nodding and shaking gestures. "I'm not someone who likes having my earbuds pester me with notifications, but in my brief tests, my head movements were detected accurately, even when they were fairly small," wrote Welch.

Welch is one reviewer who is not planning to continue with the AirPods 4, saying instead "I'll be going right back to regular earbuds" get as much noise cancellation as possible.

"But the AirPods 4 with ANC are far and away Apple's most compelling take on this open design yet," writes Welch. "The noise cancellation isn't on par with more expensive in-ear alternatives, but it's easily good enough to ensure you can enjoy your music at a normal volume no matter where you might be."

Quick takes

British GQ

summarized the new AirPods by saying that they are the "failsafe option" when giving a gift, and that the noise cancellation is "better than I thought they'd be in all honesty."

"Thanks to these changes and Apple's usual extras, the AirPods 4 live up to their reputation as an everyday luxury," it concluded.

"Apple just gave you a very tough choice to make," said the UK's Daily Express (paywall).

"The improvements across the board make [both of] these AirPods highly appealing," saidForbesmagazine. "In fact, the entry-level model adds so much over the identically-priced second-gen model that I'd say these are the best-value option of any AirPods ever."

Then in a typically understated YouTube video, iJustine concluded that the "noise cancellation on these just doesn't seem like it should work as well as it does."

"I also love using these with Vision Pro because they do have the spatial audio and with that head tracking and stuff enabled," she continued, "it really does make you feel like you are wherever that Vision Pro [is showing you]."

AppleInsider also believes that it's the noise cancellation that could make up a user's mind over which model to buy. Read a comparison between the AirPods 4 and the AirPods Pro 2.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments