Apple ships tvOS 18 with new screen savers, improved subtitles, and more

Posted:
in tvOS edited September 16

Apple's new tvOS 18 has exited beta, and arrived for all users. Here are many of the new features contained within.

The 2022 Apple TV 4K is the model to buy
2022 Apple TV 4K hardware

While it's typically true that tvOS doesn't get the same robust yearly updates as iOS or macOS, Apple has brought big changes to its set-top box for the second year in a row.

InSight

Designed to function like Amazon's X-ray feature in the Prime Video App, InSight lets you see more info about the on-screen actors.

The InSight interface showing on screen with the profile of Jake Gyllenhaal selected
We can use InSight to learn more about the cast of Presumed Innocent

If an actor is on screen, they'll show up in InSight, allowing you to see additional information about the actor. This can include details about the actors and characters, background details, and filmography pages. Additionally, Apple allows you to identify the music being played and add it to an Apple Music playlist.

Currently, InSight is only available for Apple TV+ original movies and shows. We expect the feature to expand to other services.

Audio improvements and accessibility

This year, many of Apple's operating systems have gained new features powered by Apple Intelligence, including a handful of tvOS features, too. One such feature is the dialog enhancement feature.

While the feature existed previously, Apple Intelligence has now boosted it. This enables even better separation of dialog from background audio. The feature is also not limited to the HomePod lineup but to any connected speaker or even AirPods.

The lower-right corner of a TV with the audio button selected and the different levels of dialogue boost shown
There are now multiple levels of dialogue enhancement with tvOS 18

If the standard dialog enhancement feature isn't enough, a new option called Boost helps to separate dialog even more. And if that's still not enough, an accessibility option called "isolate" can be toggled on in tvOS's Accessibility settings.

Subtitles have gotten smarter, too. Now, when a user scrolls backward in the timeline, subtitles will be enabled for the duration they've skipped backward. If a user mutes the Apple TV, subtitles automatically appear on the screen.

FaceTime has also gained subtitles that will be live transcribed at the bottom of the screen, making it easier to understand friends and family while chatting.

SharePlay updates

Users can collaboratively create Apple Music playlists on Apple TV now. It works by playing music in the Apple Music app and selecting the SharePlay icon in the lower-right corner. A QR code will appear on-screen for others to scan.

The primary user must have an active subscription to Apple Music, but collaborators do not.

Screensavers

A new Snoopy and Woodstock screensaver has reached the Apple TV. The pair of classic characters drift through space, sit on the doghouse, and get into other mischief.

Example of the portrait screensaver on Apple TV with a photo of the Grand Canyon and the time displayed above it
Nature photos look great on the Portraits screensaver

A new Portrait screensaver blends your photos with the current time, just like the Portrait face on Apple Watch. You'll be able to select people, cities, or nature.

And a new Movies and TV screensaver shows scenes from Apple's original content. You can expect panoramic space shots from Foundation among Apple's other properties.

Smaller updates

With tvOS 18, users can choose five or six icons in each row on the Home Screen. When five are chosen, the icons are larger and easier to see.

For the first time, Apple TV supports a 21:9 aspect ratio, which is commonly used with home cinema projectors.

You can now specify which of your devices is your preferred Home hub. This used to be done automatically; sometimes, you'd find that your oldest Apple TV or HomePod on the fringes of your network has been set as your default Home Hub, hurting performance.

Siri has moved on-device for certain tasks, though Apple hasn't disclosed which are run locally and which run in the cloud. It seems likely that many that have to do with your device or the home are carried out without having to hit a remote server.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I don't see an option for the SnoopySaver on any of my 5 AppleTV's.
    appleinsideruserpulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I am curious if you test these updates before pushing out these articles? I can't find Snoopy screen savers, or the 21:9 support. Other sites are reporting that these features are delayed.

appleinsideruser
  • Reply 3 of 8
    This is worth it just for the possibility to manually choose your home hub. Don’t know how many times I found that the decrease of performance in HomeKit was due to the HomePod with the worst connection was chosen as hub. 
    ForumPostmike1
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Spitbath said:
    Same here. Apple TV 4K 2nd gen. No changes I can see apart from the new T&C prompts. Was specifically looking for the new screensavers e.g. film, photos with time etc 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ForumPost said:
    Spitbath said:
    Same here. Apple TV 4K 2nd gen. No changes I can see apart from the new T&C prompts. Was specifically looking for the new screensavers e.g. film, photos with time etc 
    I have the Portraits and Memories screensavers, just no Snoopy.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I was hoping we would finally be able to delete the iTunes movies and tv shows apps which do nothing… Am I missing something? 

I was looking for the Snoopy screensavers as well… That seems relatively simple to implement, unless there’s a licensing issue…

I love the 10 second rewind bringing up closed captioning, but shocked at the number of shows that aren’t closed captioned.
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Bummed that the Snoopy screensaver has been delayed until later this year. 
    davidinsf
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I prefer Up Next to appear in the Top Shelf and have it set that way in Settings, but it has disappeared for the last two days. I know it was working under the beta tvOS 18. Does anyone know why it no longer shows anything? All I’m seeing is a large Apple TV logo…