iPhone 16 Camera Control is the fastest way to take a picture, says Austin Mann

Posted:
in iPhone

Professional photographer Austin Mann put the iPhone 16 Pro to the test in Kenya, touting the features of the 48MP Ultra Wide Camera and Camera Control.

Man wearing a gray shirt and cap holds up a smartphone in front of lush greenery.
Photographer Austin Mann reviews iPhone 16 Pro

Austin Mann may have skipped out on the iPhone 15 lineup, but he's back to discuss the incremental but impactful upgrades to iPhone 16 Pro. He notes that he misses the radical hardware upgrades every few years, but pro photographers and filmmakers benefit each year despite iterative changes.

The detailed iPhone 16 Pro camera review can be found on Austin Mann's website. There are plenty of example photos and descriptions of real-life use cases, even if some are well beyond what the average user might encounter.

While Mann didn't describe Camera Control as a game changer, he did say it made taking photos on iPhone faster and easier than ever. The only negative note he made was that he accidentally changed zoom or other settings while taking photos in a bumpy truck or flying helicopter.

He praised Photographic Styles, stating they are extremely powerful and will greatly enhance all users' ability to take photos, professional or not. Being able to reverse a style and apply a new one is great, even though they are way more complex than a standard filter.

As other early reviews suggest, updates have been incremental and most users may not need to make the jump from iPhone 15 Pro Max or other recent models. However, users moving from Lightning to USB-C or gaining 48MP cameras for the first time will see a huge change in available photographic workflows.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    For a sec I thought this headline was like a hipster version of “Florida Man” 😝
    nubusapple4thewin
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Always excellent to get his feedback as his photography and filmography are of the highest quality. The new controls are definitely something I’m looking forward to when I replace my 15Pro and hopefully Apple works out the niggles in hardware/software as required. Getting the narrow angle lens up to 48MP will be nice as well…
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Penzi said:
    Getting the narrow angle lens up to 48MP will be nice as well…
    I use the telephoto more than the ultra wide and still waiting for that to be upgraded. 12MP is a bit lame.
    edited 9:55AM
  • Reply 4 of 4
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    hmlongco said:
    Penzi said:
    Getting the narrow angle lens up to 48MP will be nice as well…
    I use the telephoto more than the ultra wide and still waiting for that to be upgraded. 12MP is a bit lame.
    I would have thought so too. But it turns out that most people use the ultra wide much more often than the tele. That new 48MP ultra wide is one major reason I’m upgrading from my 15 Pro Max.