California becomes eighth state to support IDs in Wallet app

Posted:
in iOS

Apple's home state has begun allowing its residents to add a state ID or driver's license to the Apple Wallet app.

The rollout in The Golden State comes as part of its mobile driver's license (mDL) pilot program, launched in 2023, and is limited to 1.5 million participants.

"Californians now have the option of adding their driver's license or state ID to their iPhone or Apple Watch in Apple Wallet," said California Governor Gavin Newsom, in a press release. "With this new integration, we're working to better serve the people of California in the 21st century."

For California, ID in Apple Wallet requires iPhone Xs or later with iOS 17.5 or later, or Apple Watch Series 4 or later with watchOS 10 or later.

According to Apple, the next states to allow digital IDs in Apple Wallet will be Montana, New Mexico, and West Virginia. Additionally, Japan has signed on to bring My Number Card to Wallet, which will mark the first international expansion of IDs in Wallet.

While California may be in the process of rolling out the feature, many other states have already adopted it. Arizona was the first state to allow residents to add their IDs to Wallet, all the way back in May of 2022.

Maryland also joined up in May 2022. Colorado signed on to the program in November 2022.

Georgia followed suit in May 2023, allowing those living The Peach State to add their IDs to the app. In July 2024, Ohio became the fifth state to support IDs in the Apple Wallet app.

Hawaii is currently in the process of rolling out support for digital IDs, a process that began in August 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It took two tries but I was able to add my California DL to Wallet this morning.   When it fails, it really doesn't explain why.  So just try again...
    ssfe11
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes! Next stop… Oregon please.
    ssfe11
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Crucially missing from both the Governor's instructions and the APP itself - are actual instructions on how to add this to your Apple Wallet.
    1. Download and install the CA DMV Mobile app.
    2. Register or use your existing CA DMV Login.
    3. Get your card on the app. This is important because the Apple Wallet ID is supposed to useful at Airports only. But the app itself is more widely accepted in California. Hopefully that's just for the pilot, but whatever....
    4. Now here's the missing step - go the Apple Wallet App.
    5. + button in the upper-right to Add to Wallet
    6. Select "Driver's License or State ID" and then choose "California mDL Pilot"
    7. Complete the steps to verify your identity.
    8. You should see "Verification in Progress" 

edited 4:34PM dewme
  • Reply 4 of 6
    JP144 said:
    Yes! Next stop… Oregon please.
    NY please.
    ssfe11
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Strange, not working, I have the horrible California app and that’s working. My phone is showing other USA states. Not showing California yet. I wonder if this is being incrementally updated
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Cmon NY let’s go!
    edited 6:54PM