Anker recalls two popular MagSafe clone power banks over fire risk

Posted:
in iPhone

Accessory maker Anker has recalled three of its power-related products, including two MagSafe clones, due to a potential fire hazard.

Smartphone connected to a magnetic power bank and another power bank with wireless charging capabilities next to it. Background transitions from black to red.
Anker 334 MagGo Battery [left] and Anker MagGo Power Bank

The notice, posted to Anker's website, reveals that the Anker 334 MagGo Battery (PowerCore 10K), the Anker Power Bank, and Anker MagGo Power Bank, are being recalled.

Anker says that it has discovered that a number of the lithium-ion batteries used in the powerbanks "may pose a fire risk due to a manufacturing defect." Affected models could overheat, which may lead to melting components, smoke, and even fire.

A "small number of batteries" from a batch may be affected, which were used in products produced between January 3, 2024 and September 17, 2024. Due to the risks and "out of an abundance of caution," Anker is beginning a recall program for affected units.

According to the notice, the affected model numbers A1642, A1647, and A1652. Users of the devices should access the recall page and check the serial number to see if it is one of the units with a battery from the batch.

If the serial matches, users are asked to immediately stop using the power bank and to fill out the product recall form for a replacement. Rather than mailing it away, the faulty device will need to be disposed of responsibly, not through standard recycling or trash systems.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Glad they are being responsive, but it is too bad this type of issue escaped the factory.  I almost ended up buying one of these during that manufacturing window, for family that were traveling.  Hopefully the original battery part manufacturer caught the issue because of a teardown and not because of reports of fires.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Anker is usually a reliable & economical accessory vendor. Although I am not a fan of their software chops (Eufy anybody?).  I am not a fan of power banks so this isn't going to deter me from buying other gear from the vendor.
    edited 5:29PM