Cellular Apple Watch buyers call out Verizon's maddening activation block

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple Watch owners can't activate their cell plans through Verizon -- unless they bought the device from the carrier, or complain at length.

A wrist wearing a smartwatch with a black band and a watch face displaying a radial pattern with white clock hands.
Apple Watch Series 10

Verizon
has frustrated Apple Watch users before, but now it is preventing some from connecting to the cell network at all. AppleInsider has been contacted by users reporting having to spend hours on the phone to Verizon support for what appears to be a common issue.

According to one user's summary that others are saying fits their experiences, the issue is specifically over whether an Apple Watch is bought through Verizon itself, or not. An Apple Watch sold by the carrier will activate correctly and without difficulty.

"When Verizon receives product from Apple for their inventory, Verizon logs the IMEI number into their system," writes user Tim. "When you go through... activation, the Watch App looks for the IMEI [International Mobile Equipment Identity] number in the Verizon system, finds it.. and voila, a connection to the Verizon network is made."

However, when an Apple Watch is bought from any other vendor, including Apple itself, its IMEI serial number is not in Verizon's database. Consequently, the Apple Watch will not be activated.

"All the pairing, unpairing, resetting, etc is not going to make a bit of difference," continues the user. "Nor will cancelling the service on that line and starting a new service."

Reportedly, the sole solution is to get the Apple Watch's IMEI entered into the Verizon database.

"I went through 2 Verizon store managers and countless service techs," says the user, "(all of whom demanded to "try" and activate the cellular service before pushing me forward) before FINALLY convincing one to create the ticket [to have an IMEI added.]"

If the explanation is correct, then no cellular Apple Watch bought from any vendor will work on Verizon without assistance from the carrier's engineering teams. That must mean it's a known issue, yet in the support threads seen by AppleInsider, Verizon team members appear to be unaware of it.

As well as those forum entries, and user Tim's report about his phone support difficulties, there are users on Twitter saying the same thing.

Thank to @VerizonSupport, my wife no longer has a working cell phone because of repeated activation attempts for her new Apple Watch. No way to fix it except to "wait" and hope despite it being. Verizon mess up.

-- Paul Weaver (@Mvestor)

Verizon has not commented. However, recently a Galaxy Watch Ultra 7 user took to Reddit to say they couldn't activate their device because Verizon said it was too new, and not on their system yet.

Activating a cellular plan is only one aspect of setting up a new Apple Watch. Read the AppleInsider guide to the whole process.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I bet they collect the activation fee and monthly service fee without any problem though.
    ronn
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I took my new black AW Ultra into the local store and they set it up. Bought the watch from Apple. I have two iPhones, an AW and an iPad on Verizon and I despise them,  the worst service, they are always scheming to charge more in the sneakiest way possible. Like charging me for  Verizon cloud which I don’t want and will never use. But who is better?  I will gladly switch. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ronnronn Posts: 676member
    snookie said:
    I took my new black AW Ultra into the local store and they set it up. Bought the watch from Apple. I have two iPhones, an AW and an iPad on Verizon and I despise them,  the worst service, they are always scheming to charge more in the sneakiest way possible. Like charging me for  Verizon cloud which I don’t want and will never use. But who is better?  I will gladly switch. 
    I've heard nothing but good things about T-Mobile. We use them for our phones, and a couple friends use them for cellular AW. Only caveat: while in NYC no major issues. While in Central Virginia we occasionally get spotty service; don't know about friend's cellular AW coverage though.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    This was one of the primary reasons why I left Verizon. Swapping and activating devices was always a nightmare.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Verizon, building their customer support reputation day by day, device by device.