Apple withdraws HomePod 18.1 beta 2 after reports of bricking

Posted:
in iOS

The latest beta test version of HomePod 18.1 has been withdrawn by Apple after multiple reports have surfaced of the devices crashing after install.

White mesh smart speaker with a glowing top, displaying a gradient light pattern in blue and pink hues.
Apple's HomePod mini

Hours after releasing its latest round of developer betas, Apple has reportedly pulled what it calls HomePod Software Version 18.1. As reported in the AppleInsider forums, the update was causing some devices to fail.

"Two HomePod minis bricked after trying to install software 18.1 beta 5," wrote user Jeromec on the AppleInsider forums. "Cannot restore them -- the light goes white, then red, then vanishes instead of continuing with 3 audio beeps -- they don't even show up as USB devices in System Info on my Mac."

Later, the same user reported an update, saying he had been able to use Apple Configurator to restore his HomePod mini pair to version 18.0.

audioOS (HomePod software) 18.1 beta 2 has been pulled, it's back to 18.1b1 now.

-- Nicols Alvarez (@nicolas09F9)

As usual, Apple did not announce that it was withdrawing the update. The news was spotted first by MacRumors.

This pulling of an update comes just a week after Apple similarly withdrew iPadOS 18 updates from selected iPads. Specifically, the then latest update was bricking iPads with the M4 processor.

Apple has not commented on either the iPad or HomePod issues. It's not known when the updates will be released with fixes, nor is it clear whether the issue is solely affecting the HomePod mini, or also the larger HomePod.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,578member
    Does there seem to be an unusual amount of Apple firmware issues in the past few weeks, some serious enough to that require them pulled? Maybe it's relatively common and I've just not noticed. At the moment, it's hitting a big range of Apple products.
    edited 1:16PM dewme
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,400member
    gatorguy said:
    Does there seem to be an unusual amount of Apple firmware issues in the past few weeks, some serious enough to that require them pulled? Maybe it's relatively common and I've just not noticed. At the moment, it's hitting a big range of Apple products.

These are betas for a reason.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,578member
    mike1 said:
    gatorguy said:

These are betas for a reason.
    It's not just the beta's is it? 

EDIT: No, it is not only beta's
    edited 4:46PM