Apple focusing on lower resolution screens to make a more affordable Apple Vision Pro

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

A new report says that Apple's plans for a budget Apple Vision Pro are now expected to see it using lower-resolution displays than it previously planned.

Close-up view of virtual reality headset lenses, with reflections of a room and red objects visible on the lens surfaces.
Inside the Apple Vision Pro

The new report follows a previous one claiming that Japan Display Inc (JDI) had delivered a test sample of a lower-resolution display to Apple. Now Digitimes says that it's believed Apple is sampling displays at even lower resolution than that.

Specifically, Apple had requested bids for displays of 1,700ppi, and for those screens to be OLED-on-Silicon (OLEDoS) ones, which are brighter than the white OLED plus color filters in the current headset. Apple had previously been reported to be considering OLEDoS screens for a second-generation Apple Vision Pro in 2027.

As well as producing a sample with the lower 1,500ppi, JDI used glass core substrate (GCS) OLED technology instead of OLEDoS. GCS OLED is typically better suited for screens used from a regular distance, rather than for displays meant to be placed near the eye.

Apple appears to have accepted the JDI sample, although its approximately 1,500ppi is significantly lower resolution than the current Apple Vision Pro. The original headset offers around 3,380ppi, which Apple generously describes as being equivalent to a 4K TV per eye.

Digitext says that speculation is that Samsung Display (SDC) is likely to produce GCS OLED screens of around 1,500ppi resolution, too.

Note that Digitimes has a strong track record for its supply chain sources, but a significantly poorer one for the speculative conclusions it draws about Apple's plans.

Separately, it was reported in June 2024 that Apple had halted work on an updated Apple Vision Pro 2. Instead, it was focusing its efforts on a more consumer-priced version, which backs up the new report of lower-price displays.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Or... Apple finds a way to make the same quality at a lower cost.  
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,409member
    MacPro said:
    Or... Apple finds a way to make the same quality at a lower cost.  
    This would be the best case, obviously. But Apple will probably offer a lower resolution alternative eventually unless they don't mind limiting it to be an ultra niche product. I think they do. 

Even offering a version of with the same resolution and fewer features seems unlikely. I'd like to see v1 cheaper of course. The second single biggest improvement in would be a battery back that detaches from the cord. This would be much more convenient than having to deal with say two or three corded spares. Or maybe a much lighter weight headset but I don't think that's a reality. 

Can third-party IEC earbuds be used? I don't know how good the factory audio is or that I'd want to bother anybody if I used this in a public setting.

• Reply 3 of 3
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,401member
    Why wouldn't one expect Apple to request bids and samples for multiple prototypes during development? This alone does not indicate where they are heading for a final product.

The development team will try many iterations and eventually land on what they feel is the best combination of performance, cost and marketability. Maybe those 1,500 ppi displays will be dismissed upon trials. Or maybe there is no perceivable difference between 1,500 and 1,700 so the less expensive option is selected. Maybe neither work well and are both eliminated from consideration.