Apple Intelligence will come to an M5-powered Apple Vision Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,458member
    eriamjh said:
    As an owner of a Vision Pro, I think this is a ridiculous concept for a gen 2 device.  First of all, can they really not bring a decent level of Apple intelligence to the fairly newly released M2 powered device?  I mean, an iPhone 15 with an A series chip can handle Apple Intelligence and not an M2 powered Vision Pro which has 16 GB of RAM?  Give me a break!

Also, the software/user interface isn't the issue.  It's truly an incredible piece of hardware, but the focus needs to be on cost cutting, weight reduction, increasing the field of view, and battery life, all while maintaining the current high resolution which makes the experience so special.  Personally, the first thing I'd axe would be the external displays.  They're so unnecessary and I'm sure they add a lot to the weight and price, while also draining system/battery resources.
    The Vision Pro needs an M2 just to process the visual input and do the eye and gesture tracking.   There’s not enough left for the so-called AI features.   But the biggest thing the VP needs is a killer app.   Without it, it’s just a gimmicky computer.
    Sorry, but that’s not accurate. The AVP features a dual-chip design, per below.

Also, I think we’re beyond “killer apps” as long as a device has overall utility and user value. What’s the “killer app” for all users on the iPad? For me, the best use case for the AVP thus far is as a media consumption device, especially while traveling, but different users may value other functionality more, just like on any device. 

• M2 chip: Runs visionOS, advanced computer vision algorithms, and provides graphics. 
    • R1 chip: Processes input from cameras, sensors, and microphones to stream images to the displays. The R1 chip is designed to process input quickly to eliminate lag and provide a real-time view. 

And Apple have a tendency to develop custom chips when there is something generally useful in the functionality to a number of products and then role it in to the main chip.  

The R should have many advantages in AI or other workloads streaming, refining and reframing data to reduce the workload on the AI and other compute resources.

I wonder if this rumour is when we’ll see the R3 rolled in to the M5 and see an R2/M4 Vision Pro in the meantime.
    watto_cobra