does OS X freeze like windows?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Visit Apple discussion boards. After looking through them one might think that OS X is the least stable OS ever.

I just thought I'd add that the discussion board is for people who have problems, not for people who don't. Just imagine if MS had a board like that
  • Reply 22 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

The first one is what a real unix kernel panic looks like. You got this while running > 10.2.0 Anything after that has a nice styled interface attacked to the Kernel panic..

whaaa? r u sure ur not mixing the two

i mean i havn't gotten the nice looking one with 10.2, but the other one looked so much nicer, why not stay with that?
  • Reply 23 of 56
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

whaaa? r u sure ur not mixing the two

i mean i havn't gotten the nice looking one with 10.2, but the other one looked so much nicer, why not stay with that?

I am pretty sure he is mixing the two. Grey, multilingual is the new version. Spewing numbers all over your desktop is the old one.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I am pretty sure he is mixing the two. Grey, multilingual is the new version. Spewing numbers all over your desktop is the old one.

good, haha but i am getting the old one in the new one (if u follow me)

its rather annoying (well i was, not anymore)

i think i was because either

1)i had recently installed the Pioneer 105 DVD-RW

2)i had recently used carboncopy cloner to move EVERYTHING from one drive to another

3)there were harddrive errors that had to be fixed with norton
  • Reply 25 of 56
    My TiBook freezes quite a bit...I'd say on average two to three times a month. However, it only happens when I have a lot of apps running and am moving 100mb+ files via SMB from a battered old Vaio laptop running Win98SE (how else can I run Soulseek, WinMX and Kazaa lite?). So naturally I blame Microsoft

Of course, when it does freeze, I can just restart the frozen app(s) without having to close down the computer or reboot. That, coupled with the fact that the freezes are pretty rare, makes the switch worthwhile.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

good, haha but i am getting the old one in the new one (if u follow me)

Sorry. I didn't know that that still happened. Has anyone else gotten an old style kernel panic under Jaguar?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    I had a KP for the first time in a long time not too long ago.... And I know why. I was trying to get GNOME MEETING working under Apple's X11 Beta 3. I was using the Open Source webcam driver Macam and I think that's what caused my KP(s). Plus I was trying to compile the unstable build of GNOME MEETING while messing with the camera... Compiling access the kernel I think.... Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that I've been running great with OS X. I've been an OS X-er since late 2001 when I got my iBook.... 10.1 was cool... but OS X Jaguar kicks @$$. As I say in my e-mail signature: Windows is Plug and "Pray" whereas Mac OS X Jaguar kix @$$ and always works.

FUTURE-EX-PC-USER: You're making the right choice by switch to a Mac. What would you use your Powerbook for? The only reason why I'd want a PC is to run Linux. I have several servers I wanna run a Direct Connect hub, a streaming radio server, and so on.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    He said :

"Does mac os x freeze like its quite common on windows machines?"

Well, I don't remember my last system crash. Actually, I didn't shut down or restarted my machine since the last month. I'm doing a lot of stuff on it, in OS X AND in the Classic mode. I always have a dozen of apps running at the same time. Maybe some of them have unexpectedly quit but very few of them, and the machine never crashed, freezed or locked up since a long time, yet. It appears to be a very VERY stable machine. I feel the power of real Unix under the hood.

• Reply 29 of 56
    our imac has never crashed with x.2 and my QS867 frozeup bad one time when I was accessing a playstation2 disc (duh!), trying to steal music from the disc
  • Reply 30 of 56
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I have only had a few KPs since the Public Beta days, right across a range of machines...

However I sometimes have a nasty 'finder' bug/crash that needs a restart. It occurs when I try to eject CDs from both drives on my Dual 867 at the same time... (eg select both disks, and drag the icons to the trash.)

Often, the icons dissapear from the desktop, but the disks don't eject.... the finder then crashes. Badly. Turning off 'power down hard drive' in the energy saver panel has helped (?!) but it still happens now and again, when I forget to eject them independently...

Apart from that, everything is pretty stable...

Peace,

Marc

(I used XP last month. It nearly drove me nuts within an hour...)
  • Reply 31 of 56
    I have used a DP800 w/1.5G RAM and a 72G SCSI HD running OSX for nearly two years now and have had very few problems.

I have had to run TechTools twice to repair catalogs. Once because I couldn't get past the grey screen at start-up, and once just because I ran tech-tools to check out the system. Other than that, I have had to force quit application once in a while, but other apps aren't affected.

For me, OSX has been incredibly stable. I haven't added a lot of haxies or anything though.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    My system has not crashed hard since 10.2 was officially released. Even before then, it had been a long time since it crashed in 10.1. A few apps may freeze up or crash occasionally, but the system itself is rock-solid. It an app crashes, that is its own fault for bad coding from its programmers, not the OS's fault.

That's zero system crashes in 10 months and I do a lot of various kinds of work and games on this thing.

Pretty solid.

Of course, I enabled journaling as soon as it was available to protect the filesystem and I don't use "haxies" or Norton Utilities. Norton especially is widely known to cause problems and induce deadly kernel panics.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I can repeatedly crash OS X by doing the following:

1. Connect to Windows share.

2. Put PowerBook to sleep.

3. Shut down windows computer that PowerBook was connected to.

4. Awaken PowerBook.

Result is a complete system freeze requiring a hard reboot. I sent in a report to Apple somewhere around 10.2.3 but the problem still exists (for me) in 10.2.5.

Basically all I do now is make sure this situation doesn't happen so I don't lock up the PBG4. This is the only situation I've run into where OS X crashes on me.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I use haxies, and I have similar uptimes to Brad's.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    g3joelg3joel Posts: 29member
    Yes OS X definitely does have the potential to crash/freeze.

Does it do it often? Well it depends on what software you're using... poorly written or alpha/beta software can have the ability to crash practically any operating system.

However, under normal use crashes/freezes tend to be less common than on Windows XP (from my experience).
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Looks like I'm the unlucky one here then. I got a dual 1.42 in March and for the first week had around 3 kernal panics a day until I wiped the disk and clean installed the OS. Now I reguarly have apps unexpectedly quit on me, perpetually spinning beach balls that I need to force quit the app from, and sometimes complete freezes that require a hard restart with the power button.

And the fan rattles.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Looks like I'm the unlucky one here then.

Did you contact Apple?

If you're having actual hardware issues like a loose part rattling on a new machine, you should have started making calls ASAP. There are such things as lemons and no one including Apple ships all 100% units in perfect condition.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    My 12" PowerBook only locks up in one situation: sharing files with older Macs over Appletalk. No kernel panic, no force quit available, restart required. Ironically, the LCIII I've been connecting to has crashed once.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    My dual G4 just had a kernel panic from the awake process today !!! It said there were a corrupted stack. I had to manually restart.

Sheesh, this Unix box isn't that stable, finally.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    I called AppleCare, but they blamed everything except the Mac. I work in video graphics, so have a lot of extra stuff on the machine. It's impossible for me to spend any time working without the various boards/drives/drivers installed. As it's happening less often now, I'll just put up with it until the 970's out.

And I spoke to a guy at the genius bar in Apple's SoHo store. He suggested tightening the fan's screws.