Apple's long-rumored homeOS may arrive in 2025 with Home Hub

Posted:
in tvOS

Apple may ship the long-rumored HomePod with display in two versions in 2025, and at the same time rebrand tvOS for a wider focus on home automation and similar products.

Display with popular app icons on a white stand next to stacked books and a green plant.
A conceptualization of what the lower-end revamped HomePod might be like.

A forthcoming version of the HomePod with a built-in display could be coming as early as 2025 and may come in two versions. A report on Sunday refreshes claims that Apple's Home Hub product will be a blend of a HomePod and a smart display.

A higher-end version could include a robotic arm to "follow" users on video calls, as previously reported. Both devices are said to be capable of utilizing Apple Intelligence

Sunday's report also claims that Apple will rebrand its existing tvOS -- the OS used in current HomePods -- to homeOS. This could happen when the higher-end HomePod, which features with a larger display and the robotic arm, debuts.

Both versions of the future HomePod are likely to run at least the A18 chip to support Apple Intelligence, and a camera for FaceTime use. Some Apple patents have suggested that the revamped HomePods might not resemble the present form factor of existing HomePods.

HomePod as smart-home controller

The two devices will support hand gestures already common in apps such as FaceTime and Zoom. The lower-end new HomePod has a codename of J490, while the higher-end model goes by the codename J595.

The higher-end version of the HomePod with a robotic arm is expected to cost over $1,000. It will likely be used in homes and offices where video conferencing is common, allowing participants to move around during a meeting.

The lower-end new HomePod model is said to support a limited selection of apps, including the Home app for controlling smart devices. It will also include Calendar -- which recently integrated Reminders functionality -- Notes, and FaceTime, and support a limited range of third-party apps.

Of course, the revamped HomePods will continue to support high-quality audio as they do now. Apple's current HomePod team are said to be collaborating closely with the Apple Intelligence unit to include the updated Siri and other features to the new products.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Maybe it's just not for me, but I really don't see a market for something with a robotic arm that stalks you. Also Amazon already tried this and it was a bit a flop. Very niche.

I know I am not the only one who wishes Apple would use their expertise again to make home WiFi routers/networks. Its' such critical infrastructure I can't understand why the abandoned this.
    eightzerosflagel
  • Reply 2 of 3
    This is just weird. I really can't imagine using such a device, but of course, YMMV. Is the need to "move around during a meeting" really a thing? My experience in the workplace is that we need technology that eliminates the need to have meetings. (and no, that isn't an endorsement of using AI to replace humans.) 

I can think of *lots* of things a TV screen connected device could be improved: make ATV with a OTA tuner (or a couple OTA tuners; maybe even ATSC3.0 ones) with a coax jack, and add AirPort functionality back into it. This device will never appear though, because there's no way for Apple to sell services and monetize OTA content. Unless of course, homeOS is only licensed....with a subscription in Apple One. And hey, before you scoff, how about making that device include an Apple branded worldwide VPN service? drool drool shut up and take my money...
    edited 12:03PM kkqd1337
  • Reply 3 of 3
    "Hello, Apple Support? I just updated to homeOS 2 and now I can't get in my house..."
    eightzerosflagel