'Wolfs' is the most-watched movie on Apple TV+ ever

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Writer/director Jon Watts's "Wolfs," starring Brad Pitt and George Clooney, had the most successful opening weekend of any Apple TV+ movie since the streamer's start in 2019.

Brad Pitt and George Clooney in 'Wolfs'
Brad Pitt and George Clooney in 'Wolfs'

"Wolfs" had some mixed fortunes with Apple TV+ with the streamer cutting back its promised theatrical release, but simultaneously green-lighting a sequel. That sequel now seems like a good idea, given the viewing information Apple appears to have given Deadline magazine.

"When George, Brad and Jon approached us with the idea for Wolfs, it was an easy call," Matt Dentler, Apple Original Films' head of features, told the publication, "a crackling, fun movie starring two Oscar winners who everyone knows are iconic together."

"Now, audiences have chosen in droves to make Wolfs part of their weekend, making the movie a global blockbuster," continued Dentler. "We always consider Apple TV+ to be the home for the world's most talented artists to create and deliver their best work, and it's exciting to see audiences embrace that so overwhelmingly."

Apple does not release viewing figures for Apple TV+. But it's now reported that overall viewing for the whole of Apple TV+ was boosted by nearly 30% from the week before the debut of "Wolfs."

The film saw the most success in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Mexico, the UK, and the US. Overall it is also said to have beaten "The Instigators," a similarly comedic thriller with stars Matt Damon and Casey Affleck.

"Wolfs" is streaming now on Apple TV+ worldwide. It's an action comedy that reunites Clooney and Pitt as two fixers or lone wolves, forced to work together.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This is a great movie! I watched it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Best film I've seen in a long time! Highly recommended.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,030member
    Watched this with my wife and son a few days back. It wanted to be a Shane Black movie, but didn't have his sensibilities, rhythm, energy, or smartness (see The Nice Guys for how it's done - a movie that gets more than a few nods from in "Wolf").

Some smart dialogue, but it felt very oddly paced, sparse, and aimless. There's no way this should have been a theatrical release - it quite firmly has a made for TV feel.

These streamers need to focus on quality scripts first and foremost. "Wolfs" needed one.

5.5/10

dewmeiOS_Guy80gatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Bad Monkey has become my favorite series on Apple TV+.