Teardown shows AirPods 4 still unfixable by the public

Posted:
in General Discussion

The teardown of the new AirPods shows it is still not repairable by end users, while the AirPods Max with USB-C are pretty much the same as the Lightning version it replaced.

Person using a heat gun on an AirPod held in a specialized metal fixture.
Using heat to disassemble AirPods 4 [YouTube/iFixit]

Continuing the teardown trend that follows after Apple's product launches, the AirPods range are the latest to be disassembled. The latest close examination of Apple's audio gear takes a look at the AirPods 4 in both with and without ANC forms, as well as the AirPods Max with USB-C.

The ten-minute teardown video by iFixit starts off with the AirPods 4, which are placed into a jig and heated to separate the enclosure. More heat is applied to the glue, which is used in large amounts in the earbuds.

As usual, the delicate components coated in glue make a repair practically impossible, with disposal and replacement the only real remedy for faulty AirPods.

While the construction of the fourth-gen models are practically the same as the third-gen AirPods, there is a noticeable difference for one component. The internal microphone in the ANC-equipped edition is larger than the non-ANC model.

The charging case for the AirPods 4 was also disassembled by the team. It was found to have a 345mAh battery, matching that of the AirPods 3 charging case.

X-rays of the ANC version's charging case shows it uses the same PCB as the non-ANC, except it also has the speaker.

Just as with the third-gen AirPods, the fourth-gen models receive a 0 out of 10 for repairability.

AirPods Max

Tearing down the AirPods Max is relatively straightforward by comparison. While the Lightning connector is gone in favor of USB-C, there's still a mini Lightning connector in the headband to connect the two cups.

Opened up, with a little more adhesive used in the USB-C than the Lightning versions, the internal inspection reveals near identical construction. There are some minor adjustments to the charge port section, but everything else is the same as the Lightning edition.

The AirPods Max with USB-C secures a repairability score of 6 out of 10, the same as the Lightning model. However, it is a provisional score, and iFixit is also unhappy about the lack of replacement parts or manuals for the personal audio device.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,065member
    SO... which brand of wireless earbuds are fixable by the general public? Go ahead, I'll wait... 

Listen: I realize that the Right to Repair niche and the iFixIt gang would like to return us to the 1960s and Radio Shack, but the vast majority of consumers have voted otherwise with their wallets. So give it a rest! Hey, I remember the days when I could do most of my own repair work on my car, now impossible because most car functionalities are computer monitored and controlled, but the car I drive today is FAR more reliable than the self-repairable cars of my youth. 
    edited 1:46PM iOS_Guy80mike1
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,408member
    They need to add a disclaimer. No user-serviceable parts inside.  :D