Apple's ultra-thin OLED iPad Pro fails to spark sales surge

Posted:
in iPad

Apple's OLED iPad Pro, hailed for its display and ultra-thin design, is reportedly struggling to capture consumer interest as sales plummet well below expectations.

Person using a stylus on a tablet displaying a vibrant digital cityscape with colorful signs and traffic lights.
Apple's ultra-thin OLED iPad Pro fails to spark sales surge

Apple's first-generation OLED iPad Pro, launched with much anticipation in May, delivered groundbreaking features such as the thinnest design in the market and the best tablet display ever. However, as of the third quarter of 2024, sales have fallen far behind initial projections.

According to Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC), what was expected to be a highly successful product has seen a significant decline in demand.

Apple OLED iPad Pro

The OLED iPad Pro entered the market with two screen sizes, 11.1-inch and 13-inch, and was hailed for its impressive display technology, which includes tandem OLED stacks and LTPS backplanes, all within a super-slim 0.2mm panel. When it launched, Apple expected to ship 10 million units in 2024.

However, the reality has been quite different. By the third quarter, panel shipments had dropped by 40%, with a further 30% decline expected by the end of the year. The larger 13-inch model, priced higher than its smaller counterpart, has been the hardest hit, with a 90% drop in shipments predicted for Q4 2024.

Why sales are falling

Despite its cutting-edge features, several factors contribute to the iPad Pro's underperformance. One of the primary reasons is its high price point.

The 11.1-inch OLED iPad Pro costs $999, while the 13-inch model costs $1,299. For many consumers, these prices are too steep, especially considering that tablets are often viewed as complementary to smartphones or laptops.

Stacked bar chart showing quarterly data for 11.1 and 13 inches with varying heights; highest in Q2'24, lowest in Q4'24.
Quarterly OLED iPad Pro Panel Shipments by Size and Time Period. Credit: DSCC

As a result, potential buyers may see the iPad Pro as a luxury rather than a necessity, making it easier for Apple to justify such premium prices.

Another factor is iPad longevity. Unlike smartphones, which tend to be upgraded more frequently, tablets have a longer life cycle.

The introduction of a faster M4 processor and superior OLED display hasn't convinced many users to upgrade from their iPads, particularly when rising costs for essentials like food, housing, and energy are putting pressure on household budgets. In that context, upgrading to the latest iPad model is a lower priority for many consumers.

Finally, the need for OLED technology in tablets is limited. While the OLED display offers impressive visual quality, many users aren't swayed by the difference, especially given that the previous iPad Pro models with M2 processors and MiniLED displays still perform exceptionally well.

The shift to OLED doesn't offer enough of a significant upgrade to justify the extra cost for most users, further limiting the overall demand for these high-end tablets.

Apple's earnings are on October 31. More light will be shed on the sales situation then.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Perhaps the biggest factor is Apple's decision to keep iPadOS hamstrung. Unless you are an artist or someone who uses an iPad in tablet-mode all the time, iPadOS is pretty weak. This coming from someone who spent $2400 on the newest M4 iPad, with Apple keyboard case and pencil. But I'm not an artist, and FAR prefer typing versus writing, so the pencil sits uncharged, and my iPad is ALWAYS on the case in laptop mode, but the iPad is weak as a laptop. I love my iPad for reading/movie watching in the evenings, with it on my lap in the case holding it for me. Although the new one is VERY unstable and wants to fall backwards always, compared to my 2018 iPad Pro in keyboard case. They moved the center of mass about 1/2-1" backwards and that makes it always want to fall over, unless I am holding my hand on the trackpad, very annoying. Love having the function keys, but maybe the trackpad didn't need to get larger to enable those. All in all, the new one I barely notice a difference, and in many ways (as I've been saying) my actual use-case, the new one is worse, outside of being a bit lighter and thinner.

I seriously consider getting a $950 MacBook Air and skipping iPadOS for good going forward. MacOS is more powerful, but worse for me in a lot of ways as well, and I have a 16" MacBook Pro M3Max as well, but it is too big/heavy for my evening reading/surfing/movie watching, but losing the touchscreen also loses some, I love having the ability to mess with the screen sometimes on the iPad, and sometimes the trackpad. Never been a proponent of putting a touchscreen on a Mac, but if iPad remains neutered, then maybe that is the better answer...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,485member
    My main issue is the Apple Pencil not being compatible with it. I have two Pencils for my M2 iPad Pros and they don't work with M4 Pros. WTH? 

That means that I would have to pay a lot more to get M4 plus new Pencils. No thanks. 

• Reply 3 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,531member
    I actually upgrade my Mac more often than my iPad these days. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Even with the improved hardware, it’s useless without compelling software to utilize the capabilities. Apples needs to further unshackle IpadOS. There has to be a good reason to upgrade other than a select few cases. I as many others want a good reason to upgrade, but thus far Apple refuses to give any such incentives. I got the M1 IPad Pro because of Stage Manager and external monitor support. Those additions have greatly impacted my workflow. Look at your competition for ideas, listen to the feedback from your clients. Otherwise be satisfied for the little sales you are getting on your products.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,975member
    I have an M1 iPP that I use all day, every day for art, writing, and more. There is however, no reason for me to upgrade. I expect to keep this one running for another 3 to 5 years. Maybe more. Maybe the problem isn’t the new tech, or the cost. Maybe it’s that those of us who need one, have one, and don’t have a reason to upgrade. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,531member
    DAalseth said:
    I have an M1 iPP that I use all day, every day for art, writing, and more. There is however, no reason for me to upgrade. I expect to keep this one running for another 3 to 5 years. Maybe more. Maybe the problem isn’t the new tech, or the cost. Maybe it’s that those of us who need one, have one, and don’t have a reason to upgrade. 
    Right, and also maybe the market for the iPad Pro is just a lot smaller than what Apple hoped. Which is fine -- it is what it is. 

• Reply 7 of 8
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 131member
    From a non artist user:  Yeah - for me it's the luxury issue - I barely need an iPad at all, let alone the best one.   I got a previous iPad Pro model on sale for less than half the price.  So now it's doubly hard to justify $1,500 for an iPad when the older one is still more powerful than I need.  For me, the really big deal is getting the 13" light enough to be able to hold in my hands - to finally upgrade from 11".  This iPad was a step in the right direction, but realistically I feel like I have a one pound limit.  The OLED screen for me is a little worrisome - not sure yet how the longevity stacks up to the IPS screens.  Yes, I also enjoy using my iPad as a netbook for light work in small spaces, but the point there is to have it much lighter than a laptop and not cost $1,500.

And here's the shocking thing - my daughter is still using my old 10.5" iPad Pro from ~2017.  So we were all excited to see the apps that were slow and stutter run faster on a brand new iPad Pro - but - they weren't any faster and still stuttered! (Talking PDF viewers and note takers.) Maybe they are performance bound by flash speed, or maybe the rate the programmer set interrupts at or something unrelated to the processor?

So for me, the biggest deal is upgrading the 13" to make it lighter - as a portable device - rather than heavier - as a laptop.  My killer app for the iPad is still as a reader - as a replacement for a printer.  And please come up with a light keyboard cover again, akin to the 6 ounce one from the 10.5" iPad Pro.  I don't need to double the weight of the iPad just so it can rise a half inch above the table.  (Amazingly, even the Apple bluetooth Mac keyboard is significantly lighter, and it has no need to be.) Another killer feature would be if they could find a way to iPads could hold their charge for days when off.  Typically, whenever I reach for my iPad, it's empty.  
  • Reply 8 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,292member
    When did the M4 iPad Pro come out? According to Apple’s third quarter earnings report the iPad Pro was released six weeks before the end of Apple’s third quarter which means according to the numbers Apple sold more iPads than they sold last year at the same time. How is that possible?

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/pdfs/fy2024-q3/FY24_Q3_Consolidated_Financial_Statements.pdf  2024 third quarter ended on June 29, 2024 (can Apple sell 1.4 billion more iPads in a month and a half? In the USA, the world according to the earnings report that appears to be what they did.

Whatever happened sales did not drop 40% iPads, Apples earning reports are available to the public and the overall numbers went up, not down from the same time last year, if Apple or any company expects to sell more if you have an opportunity to upgrade and release your product in a timely manner that is the only chance you have to increase your sales, has Apple upgraded the iPad or the certain desktop Mac computers in a timely manner since the introduction of the M1 Apple Silicon chips many have been missing in action, no upgrades for years, even though the processors are available It’s almost like Intel all over again.