Apple's iPhone breaks sales record as smartphone market recovers

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple'siPhone has achieved record-high sales volume for a third quarter of the year, while the global smartphone market continues to recover.

A hand holds three smartphones in gold, silver, and white, each with triple rear cameras, against a textured gray background.
iPhone 16 Pro models

The third quarter of 2023 was dismal for the Mac, but new figures from Canalys show that the iPhone had record sales that were only fractionally beaten by Samsung.

The two firms were so close that Canalys actually lists them both as having 18% market share, but says Samsung's sales saw it "narrowly defending its pole position." Apple's 18% is a 1% improvement year over year from Q3 2023, but Samsung's is a fall of 3% in the same period.

Significantly, Samsung launched its latest smartphones in July, at the start of the quarter. Apple's iPhone 16 range only went on sale on September 13, halfway through the last month of the quarter.

Table of smartphone market share: Samsung and Apple at 18%, Xiaomi 14%, OPPO and vivo at 9%, others 32%. Differences noted from Q3 2023 to Q3 2024.
Global smartphone market in Q3 2024 (Source: Canalys)

While usually a new smartphone release boost sales at launch, it's possible that this time the scheduling worked to Apple's advantage for another reason. Sales of the iPhone 16 range have been lackluster, so only having a short time on sale in Q3 may have helped.

Canalys is still predicting that the iPhone 16 range will give Apple "a strong finish to 2024 and help momentum in H1 2025," in part because of Apple Intelligence. Nonetheless, the analysts credit the previous model for Apple's success in Q3.

"Apple achieved its highest third-quarter volume to date and has never been closer to leading the global smartphone market in a Q3 than now," said Runar Bjorhovde, Analyst at Canalys. "The ongoing strong demand for the iPhone 15 series, along with Apple's legacy models, played a crucial role in its Q3 performance."

"The market's shift towards premium devices, intersected by an ongoing refresh cycle of devices bought during the pandemic, is benefiting Apple," continued Bjorhovde, "particularly in its strong-hold regions such as North America and Europe."

Overall, Canalys reports that the global smartphone market rose 5% year over year in Q3 2024. That makes this a fourth consecutive quarter of growth.

Canalys also believes that buyers have been postponing upgrades in the expectation of deals in Black Friday, or China's 11.11 day.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    As the smartphone becomes more and more essential to your life and all your data is on it how could you possibly trust anything but the Apple Walled Garden? Forget how much better it works then every other smartphone and just focus on the privacy and security alone it provides. No one comes close. In the mobile world it’s Apple then everyone else. 
    edited 8:20AM williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,415member
    The third quarter of 2023 was dismal for the Mac, but new figures from Canalys show that the iPhone had record sales that were only fractionally beaten by Samsung.

I think you mean Q3 2024

williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Apple's 4th quarter ended on Sept 29th just over two weeks before the end of their financial quarter. I guess Canalys may use different quarters, probably like Loonies and Toonies same general shape just different. 
    edited 11:35AM williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Apple's 4th quarter ended on Sept 29th just over two weeks before the end of their financial quarter. I guess Canalys may use different quarters, probably like Loonies and Toonies same general shape just different. 
    Its commonly accepted practice to state fiscal quarter as in AAPL’s case that occurs June through September as Q4, but to say Q3 2024 if your refer to the calendar quarter in which it occurs. It’s confusing, so I prefer Q3 C2024 or Cal Q3 2024.   I think I’ve seen it that way.  IIRC
    There are enough companies not in sync with calendar quarters that a notation is needed if referring to calendar quarter.  
    I think companies might do this so they have time for tax prep for end of fiscal year.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong.  
  • Reply 5 of 5
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,304member
    A week ago it was the end of the world for Apple week or two later its record sales? The beat goes on…..
    edited 12:15PM