50% of Apple users couldn't manage AppleCare on device thanks to temporary outage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 15

A handful of Apple services were experiencing issues, which included an outright outage affecting AppleCare on devices that impact 50% of users.

Various Apple devices including two laptops, a desktop monitor, a Mac Mini, and a Mac Pro against a white background, all displaying a pink and purple gradient wallpaper.
AppleCare management on devices is down

Starting at 6:21 p.m. EST Tuesday, Apple Business Essentials, Apple Business Manager, and Apple School Manager started experiencing issues that may impact users. These services had already experienced an issue earlier Thursday from 9:12 a.m. to 10:33 a.m.

AppleCare on Device started experiencing an outage at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday that affected 50% of users. This system is used to show users if AppleCare is available, provides a method to purchase AppleCare for some time after buying a device, or to cancel an existing AppleCare plan.

The AppleCare outage ended at 9:10 p.m. EST. The other issues with Apple Business Essentials, Apple Business Manager, and Apple School Manager ended at 9:43 p.m.

Apple hasn't provided a reason for the issues and outage or a restoration timeline. Users will have to be patient and wait for restoration to be complete.

Update October 15 at 10:15 p.m.: Text updated to show AppleCare outage and other issues resolved.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    AppleCare is a shambles without outages!

My phone’s Theft and Loss care is about to expire and I wouldn’t know how to renew it.  I tried to renew my 2019 MacBook Pro (bought in 2020) after 4 years of coverage and it didn’t let me.  Apple Support couldn’t tell me why and then promised to send me links that did nothing to explain or help.  So now I’m stuck without insurance on that machine.  A little transparency would be nice.  I prefer the old way without all this subscription stuff.  It’s been a nightmare to manage AppleCare as a subscription.  Maybe that’s the point.

And you should be able to rejoin AppleCare (for instance, if you want to sell the computer and provide the buyer some assurance) if it passes Apple Hardware Test and inspection at a retail store.  My 2019 16” has been well looked after and it shouldn’t have to be thrown away if (or when) a minor part breaks that Apple says is too expensive or impossible to repair.  I thought they were supposed to be a green company.  But now I’m stuck with that likely eventual outcome and a dismal resale value because of Apple’s opaque and constantly shifting AppleCare insurance policies.
    edited October 15